Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Smartycam for Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smartycam for Evo X

Hello guys,

I'm considering to buy smartycam with ecu bridge to use on the track with my Evo x. I'm not really sure if it's 100% compatible with the car. I've been searching for opinion about this product on Evo but got nothing so far.

Have anyone been using smartycam on Evo X ? how is the experience ? What do I need to get beside the camcorder?

thx
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

why not buy a gopro?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

you would need at least the ecu bridge to capture any engine data, not sure what it can capture. pretty neat that it overlays all your data ontop of your video.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:28 AM

I think evoscan had this feature in beta right now. So you could use a gopro or any other camera and log with evoscan. You could always manually line up the log to the video also.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I worked for AiM for two years and specifically worked on SmatyCam development. I am running an EVO4 data logger and a MyChron 3 display. The only thing that does not read correctly is the boost. Everything else works as far as I know. I would suggest getting the Solo DL so you will have data and video as well as a lap timer with display. Otherwise get the ecu bridge. But make sure you get the CAN bridge and not the OBD/CAN bridge with the OBD connector. Even though CAN should be on pins 6 and 14 AiM is not able to read it from there. You can tap into the diff controller under the dash. Thats where I am tapped in.

I also have the LCU-1 lambda controller and a 3 bar external MAP sensor. I log all this data as well as display it on the display.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks jordantii

very good info. I don't want to go crazy on data logging, but have some solution on video. and I definitely don't want to have laptop in the car on the track :-)

I probably will get smartycam with CAN bridge. will let you know how that go. I plan to get the AIM bridge for my other car if all works out well.

Originally Posted by jordantii
I worked for AiM for two years and specifically worked on SmatyCam development. I am running an EVO4 data logger and a MyChron 3 display. The only thing that does not read correctly is the boost. Everything else works as far as I know. I would suggest getting the Solo DL so you will have data and video as well as a lap timer with display. Otherwise get the ecu bridge. But make sure you get the CAN bridge and not the OBD/CAN bridge with the OBD connector. Even though CAN should be on pins 6 and 14 AiM is not able to read it from there. You can tap into the diff controller under the dash. Thats where I am tapped in.

I also have the LCU-1 lambda controller and a 3 bar external MAP sensor. I log all this data as well as display it on the display.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tnn35
Thanks jordantii

very good info. I don't want to go crazy on data logging, but have some solution on video. and I definitely don't want to have laptop in the car on the track :-)

I probably will get smartycam with CAN bridge. will let you know how that go. I plan to get the AIM bridge for my other car if all works out well.
If you plan in getting 2 bridges, I would just spend a little bit more and get the Solo DL. You will love it, trust me! It will drive the SmartyCam. And if you do any tracking at all, you will have the lap timer display. This is how you will actually improve your lap times. If you have never used predictive lap timing, you are missing out on one of the most valuable tools that is available to increase speed and reduce lap times.