Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Thinking about getting into an Evo . . . a few thoughts and questions.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about getting into an Evo . . . a few thoughts and questions.

Howdy all,

The time may soon be approaching that I start looking for a new car. Currently I own a 68' Camaro, but it doesn't really work well as a DD .

First, let me say I am NOT trying to start a flame war or anything. My history with cars usually centers around domestic V8's (CTS-V, Saleen Mustang, Camaro). I did own an E36 M3 for a few years which I loved.

In any case, I have thought about getting into the boosted 4 cyl scene. My dad drives a modded 335i, and loves it. I have considered looking at those, but also wanted to try something different.

I have been actively researching both Evos and STIs (the cars, not the infections ).

Time and time again I see that the EVO outperforms the STI, but that in the GSR form, isn't as suited to being a DD as the STI (or MR). Though I was looking forward to a stick, the interior refinement and sound deadening packages of the MR appeal to me. My main concern is the abuse that the twin-clutch can take once modding begins, because lets face it, this probably won't remain stock should I get one.

How far has someone taken the auto in terms of power and lived to tell about it? Any aftermarket vendors sell kits or rebuilds to beef them up, should the worst happen?

Thanks all for your patience with the new guy. If there are any threads talking about good pricing to look out for on these, let me know please.

Much appreciated!!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:53 PM

Evo x hands down. There is after market support for the sst transmissions so you wouldn't have to worry about it if you take the MR route!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:57 PM

Any worries about mitsu as a company, or has that calmed down a bit?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Any worries about mitsu as a company, or has that calmed down a bit?
Worries in what sense? I doubt they'll be going out of business any time soon. Of course there is the warranty (or lack thereof) problem. You might need to be a bit more specific.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

Another issue to consider which I didnt is the fact that Mitsubishi Dealerships are dropping like flies so servicing the vehicle at a Mitsu Dealership I am finding we are having to drive farther and farther away. I mean seriously lets face the facts....we are not seeing mitsu's on the road much at all. Combined with the fact that they have been getting horrible reviews (with the exception of the evo) it appears to me that Mitsu is a complany that is not gonna be around that much longer.

I have the MR Touring and let me just say that it is a very fun car to drive. You wont miss stick at all once you get in it. The paddles actually leads to an even better driving experience IMO with both hands on the wheel ripping through the twisties downshifting in split seconds when you need to.

Good luck with your choice!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

The very first sticky in the Evo X general forum is about pricing. And lots of data there about diff people's prices, including my recent purchase.

I've been a Mitsubishi guy for a long time and this new Evo is amazing. The interior and craftmanship is a level up from other cars they have produced. For the price though, there are still better cars in terms of refinement. For example, the 335i IMO is better in that aspect, but you give up a little in overall performance capability.

Also, you can get the GSR with additional sound dampening in the sunroof optioned cars. Mine is like that and it is a quiet car on the highway, but I have not been in an MR to compare. The main question between the MR and the GSR is the transmission and only you will be able to answer that.

Good luck!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:47 AM

Thanks for the replies all. Very much appreciated. Hows the NAV system/touchscreen in these compared to aftermarket units? Pretty good?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

if you get the leather interior and sunroof with a GSR, you'll get the sound deadening that was added to the MRs FWIW

I'm sure whatever you choose you'll like
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Just bought my 12 GSR about a week ago and I absolutely love this car! the Navigation system is a little pricey but worth it IMO. The GSR is not bad at all for a DD. Best way to know what you like is to get behind the wheel of both!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:28 AM

Hows the engine/cruise noise at 60 with the 5-speed?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

It's real quiet and feels like you are driving much slower. Much quieter than my 2010 Prius, which IMO, had a lot of road noise on the highway.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:18 AM

at 60 it is pretty quiet. at 70+ it tends to get noisier because the RPMs are above 3k
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the input!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

IMO worst part of the GSR, only because the gears are short. So, 5th gear crusing @75 is like 3.7k revs, 60 is like 3.1k and it's acceptable. 80 is like 4k and would be devastating for a long highway trip with an exhaust
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:07 PM

I've also been wondering about a GSR as a daily...after reading this thread I'll likely pass on the idea.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting into an Evo . . . a few thoughts and questions.