Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Tips for Smooth Operation in 1st Gear

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips for Smooth Operation in 1st Gear

So lately I've been stuck in stop and go traffic (stupid Phoenix) and I noticed some pretty choppy behavior when my car is inching along the highway.

At first I thought it was the TC-SST acting up since I've heard it isn't that smooth in around town driving, but then I noticed that I wasn't even switching gears. It was jerky even without switching out of 1st.

Anyway, I was researching online a bit and it turns out the Evolution X uses a drive by wire system. This being my first drive by wire car apparently this is a pretty common complaint with drive by wire systems in general and doesn't have much of anything to do with the TC-SST transmission. If you are slightly pressing the throttle, and then releasing, and pressing again, the computer actually "guesses" how much throttle response you want, and doing quick and subtle changes actually causes it to guess wrong - thus, the jerkiness.

To make a long story short, I tested out an alternate technique this morning which I tried never to go completely off throttle when slowing down, and I think the overall smoothness was much improved.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, does anyone have any other potential tips or experiences?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

60fwy from Gilbert --> 10 --> University and back Wed-Sat. I swear there's 10 new cars added to the traffic load every trip, every day :-/
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheBlade
60fwy from Gilbert --> 10 --> University and back Wed-Sat. I swear there's 10 new cars added to the traffic load every trip, every day :-/
Just wait until February when the snow birds will be out in full force
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
Already have my well-timed vacation planned. Leaving Feb 16th to go to N'Orleans until the 19th, then 19-26th I will be on a cruise going to Costa Maya, Routan, Belize, and Cozumel. Then more N'Orleans from the 26-Mar3.

I'll be back right when the first batch of Canadians start feeling it's getting too hot
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:50 PM
Former Sponsor

They drive me nuts 35 in 45 all day makes the roads dangerous.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:44 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

If you are slightly pressing the throttle, and then releasing, and pressing again, the computer actually "guesses" how much throttle response you want, and doing quick and subtle changes actually causes it to guess wrong - thus, the jerkiness.

To make a long story short, I tested out an alternate technique this morning which I tried never to go completely off throttle when slowing down, and I think the overall smoothness was much improved.
This is my 1st drive-by-wire car as well, and I really do miss the old throttle cable system sometimes. My GSR is constantly jerky in 1st gear, or when letting completely off the throttle too quickly in other gears.

My best results are the same as yours.. when letting off the throttle, do so gradually and try not to go completely off. It seems the 1st quarter-inch of pedal travel in the accelerator needs to be the smoothest, whether applying throttle or letting off.

I'd really like to try one of those Sprint Booster things that are advertised here, and see if I could get a more linear throttle response.. maybe it would also help with the weird on/off effect we're describing?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
omg I thought this was just me lol. My car does the same exact thing in traffic and it drives me crazy! I'll take your advice and try this technique out in the future
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:51 AM

i have the same problem
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alpha X
omg I thought this was just me lol. My car does the same exact thing in traffic and it drives me crazy! I'll take your advice and try this technique out in the future
Yeah I was just inching along in stop and go for about 10 minutes and my car was bucking like a rodeo bull. I figured the people around me thought I was just learning how to drive stick

But smoothing out the throttle application really helps. Never go off on off on quickly in rapid succession. Knowing how the computer works is half the battle