Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Realistic difference b/w 3" and 3.5" intercooler core?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2012, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Realistic difference b/w 3" and 3.5" intercooler core?

Hello,

so im torn between a 3" or 3.5" core... how much *more* power would be able to be squeezed out of a 3.5" core? would it be worth it?

while on the subject, what is the stock core's thickness?

thanks
Old Feb 1, 2012, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power minimal, but aversion to heat soak is what it provides. It will cool faster, cool longer, and in general allow you to maintain whatever power level you're at for a longer period of time.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ what he said. Bigger core = more mass = more capacity to withdraw heat from the incoming air. But, a larger core also means more weight, & more internal volume to fill. More weight is usually not ideal, more volume to fill puts a ding in spool up response. There are a few great articles which dissect intercoolers thoroughly. ETS did a great write-up!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WW-GSR
^^^ what he said. Bigger core = more mass = more capacity to withdraw heat from the incoming air. But, a larger core also means more weight, & more internal volume to fill. More weight is usually not ideal, more volume to fill puts a ding in spool up response. There are a few great articles which dissect intercoolers thoroughly. ETS did a great write-up!
could youl ink me please to said articles?

thanks
Old Feb 1, 2012, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

a close female friend told me the difference of .5" is the difference between "ohhh" and "awww"

makes the decision pretty easy at that point.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

The first one is by Michael from ETS. One of the best articles you'll find. Enjoy.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rformance.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post9443329
Old Feb 1, 2012, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

When looking at IC cores on a stock turbo 3" > 3.5" > 4" I think 3.5" wins hands down.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

A more important aspect is the LENGTH of the IC. I see alot of the 4" IC that everyone raves about, but several are significantly shorter. Sure thickness is nice, but length is what the air runs along, so the longer it is the more the charge cools down. A 3" IC that is 24" long(random number) is more efficient than a 4" IC that is 18" long(another random number).
Old Feb 2, 2012, 02:02 AM

Ok the test I saw was Ultimate Racings IC. They tested Identical set ups, just changed the IC. The stock IC was tested at 50.12F and the aftermarket core was tested at 50.84F. The stock IC gained almost 30 degrees at 7000rpms, the aftermarket IC went up 1 degree. In that comparison you see that if you need sustained power ie at the track, you need an upgraded IC. If you are just modding a daily IC upgrade isn't required. Unless you live in arizona or something like that.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:22 PM

Most people have been posting about charge temps and resistance to heat soak, but there is another factor.

As small as it is, a larger intercooler will take longer to generate boost. The fact that there is more volume to compress will cause a delay in response. I know, I know it's not a huge factor. I'm not positive of how much reduction in response is realized. In my opinion, running a 4" on a stock turbo is really more of a handicap on response than any positive gains.

ARC's main marketing strategy(I guess it didn't work LOL) was based around smaller intercooler sizes(street versions were 3" if I'm not mistaken) and "bar and plate" design to offer decent cooling characteristics with maximum response for less extreme horsepower cars. Most people knock ARC intercoolers for being jdm pos, but they serve a specific purpose for certain applications. Most people that bought them probably didn't buy it for the right reason, but that's not ARC's fault.

Also, make sure to find a fmic that is a "bar and plate" design. Most mainstream companies have unanimously adopted this design for their intercoolers. They supposedly cool and flow better than most factory alternatives.

If you don't plan on upgrading to a larger turbo, I would recommend a 3" or 3.5"(at most) fmic. If you're going for hp records or big turbo builds, get the 4". With that being said, if you have the slightest chance of upgrading down the line, make sure to get the 3.5".
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

You think for a dd a 3" would be good for just an EF2? Obviously I'm not doing pull after pull or anything like that. I may autocross it here and there but nothing serious.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by 08GsrX
You think for a dd a 3" would be good for just an EF2? Obviously I'm not doing pull after pull or anything like that. I may autocross it here and there but nothing serious.
This is just my opinion, I'm not really 100% sure on this. But if its not long, sustained wot driving situations, I would say any decent bar and plate 3" should be fine. If I'm not mistaken I think ETS has rated their 3" FMICs to 720hp or so.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

The rate at which heat is transferred by Q is proportional to the product of the temperature gradient and the cross-sectional area through which heat is transferred. Meaning the greater the surface area the larger the rate of heat transfer.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:26 AM

for hta 35r with core should the best 3.5'' or 4'' ????
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

I run the UR fmic on mine which is 4.5 inch thick, it barely fits in all directions. Apart from garbage fitment.

On the dyno however you are able to hold the Ic as they do pulls and it never heats up. Even after long track sprints it's warm but never hot to the touch

I ran it on my stock turbo and my fp red setup (which had full spool by 4k) so I don't think spool was affected really. Even stock turbo always spooled same as everyone else's or quicker.

Quick Reply: Realistic difference b/w 3" and 3.5" intercooler core?