Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Help on buying the right mods...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help on buying the right mods...

I'm finally out of warranty at 60,000 miles. Planning on getting my car tuned in the spring at Ivey. In the meantime im looking to buy mods now so that im ready when spring comes around. I've read the modding for dummies threads but i still need a little help. I don't want to buy mods that i don't need. I'm looking to at least make 330-350whp, and low 300 for torque. This is my daily driver and i don't want my car to give me alot of problems. I already have a Works drop in filter. Any input would be helpful.

Which mods do i absolutely need to buy? I know TBE or CBE, but what's the difference between the two?

Do i need to buy a FMIC, or a CAI?

Mods i apologize beforehand if this is in the wrong forum...and yes i know SEARCH is my friend, but all those threads have confused me.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 06:53 AM

tbe-turbo back exhaust
cbe-cat back exhaust

if your not in a emission driven state tbe all the way as far as air go do yourself a favor and go with a set of hardpipes and intake. gotta let the car breath to make power imo...
Old Feb 2, 2012, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by srtdave
tbe-turbo back exhaust
cbe-cat back exhaust

if your not in a emission driven state tbe all the way as far as air go do yourself a favor and go with a set of hardpipes and intake. gotta let the car breath to make power imo...

What do you mean by hardpipes? And what kind of intake is better for our cars...
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hardpipes are upper intercooler and lower intercooler pipes. Stock is flexible, hard pipes won't flex (solid metal).
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, thanks
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

he means Upper and Lower intercooler pipes (they help with the throttle response).

For your goals, since you have the drop-in, all you really need is a cat-back, test-pipe (barring emissions and how you feel about that), 3port boost control solenoid and and that Ivey tune you want. Should be fine.

the intercooler pipes wouldn't be a bad way to go either, and if you want to hear the turbo spool a bit more an intake (ETS, AMS, Akuma, etc) will give you that, but the drop in filters have been shown to work well too.

Good luck! Enjoy your Evo!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheBlade
he means Upper and Lower intercooler pipes (they help with the throttle response).

For your goals, since you have the drop-in, all you really need is a cat-back, test-pipe (barring emissions and how you feel about that), 3port boost control solenoid and and that Ivey tune you want. Should be fine.

the intercooler pipes wouldn't be a bad way to go either, and if you want to hear the turbo spool a bit more an intake (ETS, AMS, Akuma, etc) will give you that, but the drop in filters have been shown to work well too.

Good luck! Enjoy your Evo!

I was leaning towards the test pipe until i read about the smell. So i decided to get a milspec highflow cat (100). If i buy this, should i buy a catback exhaust or turbo back exhaust...im still confused about those two.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

adding the downpipe is nice, but it's a royal PITA to install. My tuner suggested only doing the downpipe if you're going to upgrade the turbo. Since your power goals are obtainable easily without many bolt-ons, cat-back should be fine.

Really 320-330hp and 300lbft is easy to get in the X. 100% OE parts (even paper filter and factory yoko tires) I dyno'd 264hp/281ft-lbs. I was WAY rich too. There's a lot of power to be gained just in fixing the factory A/F ratio.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by poof101
I was leaning towards the test pipe until i read about the smell. So i decided to get a milspec highflow cat (100). If i buy this, should i buy a catback exhaust or turbo back exhaust...im still confused about those two.
Turbo-back includes the test pipe (or in your case the highflow cat). After that you'll only need the cat-back. As in everything towards the back of your car, after the cat you already purchased.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, so if i buy a GReddy SP Elite Catback, and a milspec high flow cat, i should be able to reach my goals since i already have the Works filter....and tune of course
Old Feb 2, 2012, 08:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
You can't go wrong with Intake, Exhaust or Intercooler.

Michael
Old Feb 2, 2012, 08:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Our pipe kit works well with ETS cores. If you have any specific questions on fitment, power levels, color, tuning etc.... I am always available.

Cheers,

John
Old Feb 2, 2012, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks fellas
Old Feb 2, 2012, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Yea the Turbo-back exhaust includes a downpipe, high-flow cat or test pipe, and a catback exhaust. The catback exhaust is just that.. a catback exhaust.

If you get the HFC and catback, you should be fine exhaust wise. I would also look into atleast an upper intercooler pipe because it helps with the "flex under boost" issue that happens with the stock pipe and makes the engine bay look nicer. You could also go with a Grimspeed 3-port boost controller. That will help your tuner dial in boost better and is only an extra $100.

You will be blown away at the difference between a before and after with Ivey.

I would suggest: HFC, catback, upper pipe.. its up to you whether or not to get the 3-port. You should call Ivey and see what he suggests.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:00 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ugakirk
I would suggest: HFC, catback, upper pipe.. its up to you whether or not to get the 3-port. You should call Ivey and see what he suggests.
+1 This should cover the basics.

Results may vary, depending on the tune and which dyno you're on.. but I think this should get you over 300/300 on most of them.

Quick Reply: Help on buying the right mods...