Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

General Boost gauge question...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Boost gauge question...

a grimmspeed 3 port ebcs as well as an aem wideband are on its way to my house...

Now I need an actual boost gauge (well, not sure if I *need* one, but I'd like to get one).

So how exactly does it work? I just buy a gauge and hook it to some part of the grimmspeed 3 port? or does it wire into the ecu somewhere to get the boost readings?

Not sure if anyone understands what I'm trying to convey, but I just wanted to know how the the gauge is physically routed, what it hooks to, and how it gets its readings.

thanks (yet again)

-steve
Old Feb 3, 2012, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boost gauge just attaches in a vacuum line under hood. Splice and add it via a "T" connector.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

simple as that? its a purely-mechanical instrument? cool, thanks
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

I had bad luck with a mechanical one about 10 years ago. (it was an Autometer).

The calibration didn't seem to be right, and the line you need to run to the gauge is a harder plastic, and with heat and a little time it cracked, and then the gauge never read properly and gave me a vacuum leak.

On my STi (and plan on going with my Evo). I got an electric one (Prosport) and I just thought it was easier to deal with because the vacuum line is all under the hood to the tiny map sensor that comes with the gauge, and then you just run a small wiring harness into the car. The electrical harness was easier to route through the dash to where I had it mounted too because it was more pliable than the stiff plastic tube from the mechanical one.

Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

hmm, alright, so are the gauges pretty much universal? whered you pick your electrical one up at?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

http://prosportgauges.com/amber-whit...ost-gauge.aspx

Side note:
Most people don't like prosports, not because of how they work, but because when you first turn on your car they beep *REALLY* loud. In the directions there's a process you can follow to mute them. Makes life a million times better
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Can you return the wideband you have on the way?

http://www.zeitronix.com/

I had one of these on my CT9A; it worked very well...
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

sweet, thanks man
Old Feb 3, 2012, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't see you post about a wb a/f but the previous poster did suggest a nice one. Most peeps that use the zeitronix like them. I used the AEM UEGO. It was also quite awesome.

Not sure this vid will work, but i'll try. I was having probs with my fuel trims and my wideband was freaking out. But once I got my MAF replaced things ran awesome again.

http://thesource.homelinux.net:8080/...ads/gauges.3gp
Old Feb 3, 2012, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Skip the boost gauge; boost is fully loggable with the stock ECU using either the Cobb Accessport or EvoScan + Tactrix 2.0 cable.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, zeitronix deffinitly makes good stuff, no doubt about it. maybe in the future ill try out their stuff.

as far as boost gauges go though, are the gauges pretty much universal? like the one you had in your ct9a, would it work in my cz4a?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
yes, boost gauges are universal. if you go with a mechanical one, there is a plastic pc that connects with a compression fitting. only use enough like 2 inches of that line, then use an adapter to go to a flexible vacuum line. don't get the hard vacuum line. the plastic line don't bend and gets kinks in it. so minimize it, and you will be good to go. just T into a vacuum line and done
Old Feb 3, 2012, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The majority of widebands across the various brand lines all use the same o2 sensor, meaning they'll all be as accurate as the calibration. One nice thing about the AEM is that it self-calibrates; I'm not sure about all the other brands, but I know my Innovate did not.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Kracka is correct, most use a Bosch sensor....also good quality sensor. AP will show your boost, but even a $20 bluetooth ODB2 adapter and your cell phone can. However, the one nice thing about a dedicated gauge for Boost and W/B AFR is they are easily readable while driving, and it's something that will help you save your engine should something fail.

AP is good stuff, i just felt it wasn't so easy to read because of its screen contrast, and mounting solutions. Also felt that it was easier to unplug and steal should someone have a chance to do a quick grab in my car.

Definitely check out video's on youtube of them or check out a friends. Might be the right product for you. If you've already selected a tuner you want specifically, make sure they support it too. A lot of tuners don't, but that is no reflection of the quality of tune with them. AP protune has the same capabilities of an opensource, it's just tuner preference with what software they are familiar with.