Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo Vs. 3 series

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Tribal
I drive my evo. with less than $1,000 you can easily make 500 whp from a 335 but like others have said once the car breaks you will be dropping some serious dollars to fix it.
I'm going to put emphasis on "once'... not 'IF'
As many ppl as I know with newer later E46-E90's BMW's every single person has had at least 1 problem if not multiple (fairly new cars). Only if you have an excellent dealer and a warranty would I ever buy a BMW.... as a company, they love to stiff you on warranty items in my experience.

Now that being said, I've had a few problems with my Evo (100% stock) and I wanted to catch it on fire and toss it over a cliff... but the difference to fix the vehicle Mits vs BMW is few and far between.

and just FYI, you can't get a EvoX MR with manual so you should be fully loading a GSR.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are looking at an Audi or BMW, you may be barking up the wrong tree with an Evo. A VIII/IX is a raw drivers car, but the interior is laughably bad and hardly luxurious. The X's may be closer, but they are too fat and heavy for me.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Dad owned a 2008 M3 and it was a great car. Plenty of room for 4 adults, felt solid on the road and had great power. The only reason he sold it was because he needed something with all wheel drive.

2008 + M3s are great cars, the only negative (and I am reaching for one) is that it is relatively heavy compared to other sports cars. Doesn't flick as easy as and Evo, but feels planted everywhere else.

If I were in your shoes the M3 would be my only 3-series option. I drove the 335i and 328i and didn't like them at all. They felt very wallowy, where the M3 felt buttoned down.

I would stay away from Audi all together unless you are going with a TTRS or R8. I think Audi's are over priced, under powered status symbols. But they look nice, I will give them that.

The evo and M3 drive completely differently too.

The M3 has an amazing linear torque curve party due to its naturally aspirated engine, and feels more like a pure driving experience. You can really feel the road beneith you.

The Evo is like some kind of cross bred mutant infused with steriords (especially if modded).

It feels very ackward to drive at first, but when you learn to trust the computers and drive it like a mad man all you think is... "How they hell did I just take that corner that fast and not crash" The damn thing just seems to defy physics. It also gets bursts of power because it is turbo charged.

From 1-2.5 RPM it feels like a regular lancer, but when you punch it you get a kick in the *** from about 3-6k RPM.

If you modify it with a reflash I am told that kick lasts till 7k RPM.

I would definitely drive both and see what you feel comfortable with. (Actually you will feel much more comfortable with the M3 on a test drive because the sales person will shoot you if you drive the Evo the way you need to to appreciate it)

From a maintenance perspective the Evo will be cheaper unless you get a new BMW with their free maintenance program.

If you don't mind going RWD another good option for you might be the 370Z. I had a 350Z Nismo and I loved it, but the RWD and low ground clearance became issues in the snow when it became my only means of transportation.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

I have not driven a 335, but have spent lots of time in a 2008 328xi, 6sp manual, sport suspension, etc (wife's car). It is basically a 335xi without the turbos. Compared to the Evo it is a big, heavy pig. The Evo wins hands down in steering response, cornering, braking, etc. It is also way better in the snow. The BMW has a much nicer interior, is quieter, has a better stereo, and more room. Evos are sausage magnets, BMWs are chick magnets. Drive both and weigh these issues carefully. Only you know what is more important to you.
FWIW I have 78,000 trouble free miles on my 2008 GSR, pretty good for a POS Mitsubishi.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scarryy
I have not driven a 335, but have spent lots of time in a 2008 328xi, 6sp manual, sport suspension, etc (wife's car). It is basically a 335xi without the turbos. Compared to the Evo it is a big, heavy pig. The Evo wins hands down in steering response, cornering, braking, etc. It is also way better in the snow. The BMW has a much nicer interior, is quieter, has a better stereo, and more room. Evos are sausage magnets, BMWs are chick magnets. Drive both and weigh these issues carefully. Only you know what is more important to you.
FWIW I have 78,000 trouble free miles on my 2008 GSR, pretty good for a POS Mitsubishi.
there are much more differences than just turbo's between the 335 and 328
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Not to be offensive, however I personally have always seen the 3 series as nothing more than a yuppie "douche" car, with the exception of the M series. The 335xi may be faster in a straight line than the evo stock, but if I wanted straight line speed I would have bought a Camaro 2SS for practically the same amount of money as the X.

It all depends on what you want the car for and what you'll be doing with it. I dont care about 1/4 mile or 0-60 times...for me a car shines in it's handling capability, and the Evo takes the cake in that department without question. If style and comfort with straight line ability is your thing, go with the bimmer. For me, the G35 is a better choice than the bimmer if I wanted style mixed with performance...less headache I would imagine as well maintenance-wise.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:13 AM

Ralliart member going to dive in........ive driven/and or owned all the ones u speak of OP. Hate the 3 series, loved the M3. however hated the maintenance that comes with such a luxury type car. I wanted a car to bash around. wanted options also. Went with a Ralliart as life happens and if I wanted to buy a house couldn't own the EVO X ( to big a bill) so settled with Ralliart and couldn't be happier.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:54 AM

In my opinion - cars are all about compromises these days, but some more than others. The Evo is usually more focused on sheer performance than most in its price range (e.g. trades smooth ride for handling, trades luxury for better performance, etc....) The more money you throw at something the less you have to compromise potentially (except you are comprising on total costs). I have had many different cars over the years and to me, a more performance focused over luxurious car is what I like. Here are my opinions of the cars you listed:

EVO = great handling, looks, seats, power, and mod-ability: compromises = gas mileage, luxury, trunk space.
335XI = good handling, looks, luxury, easy to power mod: compromises = handling as suspension is more for comfort, mod-ability besides power = costly, maintenance outside of warranty = $$
A5 = decent handling, awesome interiors, luxury, looks: compromises = handling as suspension is more for comfort, tend to understeer more than others listed, mod-ability = costly if not T model especially), maintenance outside of warranty = $$
M3 = great handling, looks, luxury, power: compromises = rear wheel drive only, costly maintenance, mod-ability = costly + harder to add more power (although very powerful to start)

For me, the EVO gives me everything that I want. Ability to carve up a road, add power for less $$ if desired, looks good, goes fast. I only drive 10 miles each way to work on back roads and it is a blast every day. I have the luxury of also having a pickup truck to haul shiz around + my wife's CX-9 to take on long trips when comfort is more of a concern. I have had Honda's-->VW's-->Audi's, and BMW's prior to my EVO and don't regret which compromises I "made" for the EVO. I only have a GSR since I have grown even less concerned with interior niceness / prestige and such (although I once did having driven German cars most my life).

In your case not really having had a performance car in the past, you will enjoy any of them but honestly if you are unsure, I bet the 335XI would be the most rounded of them all simply because it is a jack of all trades master of none type car. (read more balanced compromises while still fun / fast). It's really a personal thing that you have to decide for yourself what you like / prefer. You will only be disappointed that you didn't get the EVO if ultimate performance ends up being your most desired thing you want from a car without spending a mint.

Good Luck - wish I had your "dilemma" when I was younger.

Last edited by bLiTzKrG; Feb 9, 2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: s.p.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Bottom line, you need to figure out if you want performance or luxury. That is the fundamental difference between the Evo and the BMW.

The BMW is a refined soft luxurious car. The BMW 3-series competes more with the C-Class Mercedes then the Evo. The Evo makes many many compromises to be an extremely fast car at a relatively low price. You have to love things like handling, steering feedback, confidence in corners, toss-ability, and all aspects of driving experience to rightfully pick the Evo.

That said, I think the Evo is a special car in a way that the BMW 3-series just isn't. Driving the Evo is an experience, no other car feels quite like an Evo, and looked at as an overall driver's package it is basically unparalleled in it's price point.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:23 AM

I have tried both.. the 335 ci and the Evo X , The 335 was one of my options before i got the evo.. But the Evo won my heart hands down... The steer response and throttle feel is awesome and The maintenance on a BMW is way more sophisticated and expensive than a Evo
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Cangri X
I have tried both.. the 335 ci and the Evo X , The 335 was one of my options before i got the evo.. But the Evo won my heart hands down... The steer response and throttle feel is awesome and The maintenance on a BMW is way more sophisticated and expensive than a Evo
Really? IMO I'd say the evo is a more expiensive car to maintain, the BMW is more of a civil street car, made for a more reliable and comfortable ride with some performance onthe side, where the evo is an "off road" type vehicle with a much more likely chance for something to go wrong if not maintained, specially since it would in most cases be driven harder than the BMW.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

I only have one thing to say, if you currently own a Kia Spectra then get a BMW. An EVO/RA will be too raw and too wild for the driving habits you are used to. I would not consider this car as a first time performance purchase.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my car and will cherish it forever, but it's not for the general public (i.e. Kia and Toyota drivers, no offense to you personally).
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoVIIIxoxo
Really? IMO I'd say the evo is a more expiensive car to maintain, the BMW is more of a civil street car, made for a more reliable and comfortable ride with some performance onthe side, where the evo is an "off road" type vehicle with a much more likely chance for something to go wrong if not maintained, specially since it would in most cases be driven harder than the BMW.
BMW is more expensive when parts start breaking and the car is breaking down. Parts are a lot more expensive for a BMW than it is for an EVO. Them Germans, constantly over engineering things to make it impossible to have easy fixes.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Orodi
I have driven and owned and Evo X an M3. The M3 is a yuppie race car. All the speed and handling of a sports car all the luxury of a cadillac. Depending on how you drive should be a deciding factor as well. If you like to drive like you are doing time trials everywhere you go the Evo would be the best choice. If you are a driver that does not race, drive like an idiot and just enjoys a nice car you could go with the more expensive options. I also fully agree with the above posts you need to figure our what you can afford in the long run as well. If you can't keep up with it you will just have a shiney P.O.S.
FYI, the M3 is faster around the willow than an Evo X. Even if the Evo X has basic bolt-ons. The V8 M3's trump Evo X's. It rides nothing like a Cadillac.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are keen to set up the car the way you want it, go with the Evolution. From the factory, the M3 feels like a much more composed car (have driven one). The power is insane. The handling is great. Everything is tight and responsive.

The 335(x)i is a boat. I know two people who have heavily modified versions of that platform. Past 400 HP, that platform is squirrely. Don't get me wrong. It is stupid easy to make power on those cars, and some earlier iterations came with solid twin-turbos and forged internals. However, the brakes leave something to be desired. The steering feels completely disconnected, and the suspension could use some work. It is a very comfortable car, but the Evolution is much more fun to drive. But, again, I am very biased. My car has an unbeatable suspension setup and a decent amount of power. You have to know what you are doing, but it can be really rewarding.

Quick Reply: Evo Vs. 3 series