Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo Vs. 3 series

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo Vs. 3 series

I have a few questions for you guys.

I am graduating in June so in my family the gift is a car (down payment). I've always wanted a 335xi or an m3 (m3 not in my budget at all, would probably go 4 years older model). I've always liked Evo's but a lot of people talk **** on them. The auto show was in Philly and I saw the new Evo and fell in love with the look but how does it compare to any 3 series with performance? I want manual transmission, wouldnt mind getting a 2011. I've heard great things and then i've heard that they break down a lot (mitsubishi in general). The 2012 Evo MR fully loaded is maybe $6,000 over my budget. I want my car fully loaded which makes an m3 impossible to get. Another I was looking at was the Audi A5...what do you guys think?

PS. I dont have much knowledge with cars....I currently own a Kia Spectra 2007....

Last edited by vickitm; Feb 8, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Drive one. You'll definitely want the evo if you like an aggressive car. Best handling car no matter what the weathers like. Easy to get tons of power out of and as long as you keep up on maintenance, they are reliable. Chances are if someone talks **** they are jealous.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone has their own story to tell about any cars reliability. Drive both and see which one you enjoy more. Routine maintenance isn't cheap on any of these cars, so make you enjoy driving enough to deal with that. Sometimes I'd rather have a Kia so I didn't worry about shopping carts and seat/wheel thieves.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Dude you aren't even comparing apples to oranges...

The two cars are not remotely similar in ANY respect, period...Drive both, figure out what suits you best...
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

You are on an Evo forum where everyone (for the most part) owns a one of the vehicles you are asking about. The answers will be very biased. To answer your question... it's a trade off. The Evo X is a fun spirited driver with many mods possible. Decent gas milage. And relatively low cost to own compared to the BMW. Maintenance is about the same... but god forbid you break a headlead in the BMW and it'll cost more to replace then is really worth it.

The Evo suffers from a lack of interior swag (for lack of better terms). The BMW has a nicer interior and a smoother ride IMO. But the Evo is more fun and better to have (again IMO).
Old Feb 9, 2012, 02:53 AM
Evolving Member

I agree with Minot Syndicate.

Also, if you are worried about reliability issues, I would avoid Audi. Basically after 60K, you always have to worry about something. And parts are very expensive. Same for any luxury or sports car though.

But yes, mostly everyone will be biased towards Evo here. I don't drive an Evo yet, but am hoping too very soon. I joined to see what kind of issues people are having, etc. and am surprised that there are not too many people having big serious issues.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 03:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Currently I own a 335xi and I also own an EVO X....the 335xi is faster than a stock evo also its good to note that the older 335's 07-09 come with forged internals. I like the car and the luxury is unbeateable...on the flip side though the cars handling sucks big time...doesn't even come close to the handling of an evo. When I take my family anywhere I use my 335 and when I want to go out and scare the kids I drive my evo. with less than $1,000 you can easily make 500 whp from a 335 but like others have said once the car breaks you will be dropping some serious dollars to fix it.

Last edited by Tribal; Feb 9, 2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 03:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
335i much nicer for driving around
Old Feb 9, 2012, 03:38 AM
Evolved Member

Currently I own a 335xi and I also own an EVO X....the 335xi is faster than a stock evo also its good to note that the older 335's 07-09 come with forged internals. I like the car and the luxury is unbeateable...on the flip side though the cars handling sucks big time...doesn't even come close to the handling of an evo. When I take my family anywhere I use my 335 and when I want to go out and scare the kids I drive my evo. with less than $1,000 you can easily make 500 whp from a 335 but like others have said once the car breaks you will be dropping some serious dollars to fix it.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 03:42 AM
Evolving Member

I have driven and owned and Evo X an M3. The M3 is a yuppie race car. All the speed and handling of a sports car all the luxury of a cadillac. Depending on how you drive should be a deciding factor as well. If you like to drive like you are doing time trials everywhere you go the Evo would be the best choice. If you are a driver that does not race, drive like an idiot and just enjoys a nice car you could go with the more expensive options. I also fully agree with the above posts you need to figure our what you can afford in the long run as well. If you can't keep up with it you will just have a shiney P.O.S.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 04:48 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by toyotabike
This is the evo 8/9 forum. You posted in wrong section.
Yes, our cars can't be had with automatic transmissions.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

SST trans on the MR still no?

Anyway you also mentioned the A5. I think you'll like that with the S sport package (Wheels, suspension but not the power adders). A friend of mine has one and they are awesome luxosport cars. Can't speak to its reliability.

The Evo X is plenty reliable as long as you don;t go messing with it. That goes for any car. Once you start modding then reliability isn't a consideration. Its an after thought.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:06 AM

I personally, given this choice, would go with the Bimmer.....

I had an X and was pretty disappointed. Also, timing chain stretched right before 41k (which I hear is pretty common, but mine was an '08, so maybe they fixed this)... and, yes, Mitsu finally replaced under warranty. But, only after giving me a serious run around (damn computer popped up rapid accel and decel... ummm so I'm not supposed to drive it for the sports car it is or engine break????) and waiting for a month and a half for them to give me a final answer. I was convinced the damn thing would give out and trash my engine as I was commuting 100 miles one way to work 4 days/week at the time! That car was nothing but headaches. To top it all off they gave me a 1992 Mirage as a loaner car! Ha ha! Although, I saved SOOOO much money on gas that week, lol!

Now an 8 or 9.... That's where it's at. My two cents. Although my hubby (before realizing what a BMW repair bill could look like) wanted me to consider a 335xi. They are very nice cars so long as repairs are under warranty!

Last edited by evoforhotchick; Feb 9, 2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:23 AM

I would say find an evo IX (but I'm biased), but if you're trying to decide between an X and a bmw: bmw is gonna be a more comfortable ride, evos gonna be more fun.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Just based on the absolutley pleather like shift boot in the GSR i would go bimmer.

Quick Reply: Evo Vs. 3 series