Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

help on evo x traction settings

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help on evo x traction settings

I had my x out in the snow this weekend driving back and fourth for training and didnt have a very good time. The a** end of the car kept slipping out from under me and kept driving me off the road. Is this normal for these cars? Also is there a way to turn off the traction control? I hate when it senses im spinning and cuts off the power so i cant try and drive out of the slide. And what exactly do all the different types of driving settings do/change? Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

if your on stock tires not snow tires, makes a big difference in snow. so get some snow tires.

usually there's a traction control button?

different settings change computer driving system. not exactly sure what every function does exactly.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Check this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGAjT6R0WBA
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,053 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by DevilDog7
I had my x out in the snow this weekend driving back and fourth for training and didnt have a very good time. The a** end of the car kept slipping out from under me and kept driving me off the road. Is this normal for these cars? Also is there a way to turn off the traction control? I hate when it senses im spinning and cuts off the power so i cant try and drive out of the slide. And what exactly do all the different types of driving settings do/change? Thanks for the help.
Get some real tires.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

The big thing is you will "need" snow tires in snow. The summer performance tires will not cut through the snow and grip well on ice.

The different AWC settings are just how much power is going to which tires, and when it senses loss of traction it will act differnetly depending on what setting it is in.

As far as turning off TC, you can, should be a button for it. That is all your choice.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah the tractions setting work great and you can shut off the traction control and S-AWC by holding in the button for the S-AWC for a few seconds. I don't recommend this though especially in the snow, it will save your butt.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Even a nice all season ultra high Performance tire should be good enough if you dont drive crazy. I have a set of Sumitomo tires. They did great this winter. I would buy them again.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:28 AM

Well i got the car not to long ago and it didnt have snow tires, and i figured it would do pretty good for the time being. But it was a pretty rough time driving this weekend haha.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stock advans are like ice skates in the snow. Its also recommended to not use those in the winter at all, the colder temperatures alone turn them into rocks and you have very little traction. IMHO pick up a good set up winter tires, not all season. I know this has been said many times over but just like how athletes have different shoes for different types of terrain and conditions treat your car the same. Consider the G that you will drop on tires and insurance investment so you don't end up paying in the end or getting some one hurt. Be safe bud and let us know how you make out.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildcat Birdie
The different AWC settings are just how much power is going to which tires, and when it senses loss of traction it will act differnetly depending on what setting it is in.
Utter nonsense.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Utter nonsense.
Well then I am sorry for not having the correct understanding of how it works. I was trying to explain it as easily as I could without getting into the engineering of it. Please explain it for me then, so I will know the correct response when someone asks that.

And just in case you think I am being a smartass, I really am not. I would like to know a simplified way to explain the AWC system, so please help me out.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

The AWC settings determine how hard the center locks when you're on the gas, and how quickly the center unlocks when you lift off the gas. It also affects how much the AYC locks. The settings do not have any effect on the TC or ABS (which are what react to a loss of traction).

More generally, whether the center is locked (and/or how hard it is locked) does not translate to a particular change in the front/rear torque distribution. How hard the center is locked determines how far you can stray from the native split (which is 50/50), but it's the front vs rear grip that determines whether the distribution shifts to the front or rear.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's info on how AWC and S-AWC work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_S-AWC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_AWC
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
The AWC settings determine how hard the center locks when you're on the gas, and how quickly the center unlocks when you lift off the gas. It also affects how much the AYC locks. The settings do not have any effect on the TC or ABS (which are what react to a loss of traction).

More generally, whether the center is locked (and/or how hard it is locked) does not translate to a particular change in the front/rear torque distribution. How hard the center is locked determines how far you can stray from the native split (which is 50/50), but it's the front vs rear grip that determines whether the distribution shifts to the front or rear.
Well thank you for making that more clear. Obviously some of the places I have read about it and heard about it are wrong.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, there are tons of places where you will find inaccurate descriptions of a variety of AWD systems. In fact, I'll bet that you can find more places that say that the active center of an Evo or Scooby alters torque split than places that describe it correctly.

Quick Reply: help on evo x traction settings