Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Nights like this make me smile in the Evo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evostare
lol what brand calculator did you record it with!?

hehe, looks like you had a blast.
You mean potato

Nice video!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:06 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Private note to self: don't try to warn people about traffic laws; just buy their cars and sleep with their women while they serve their time.
Lol, sorry.. wasn't ripping on ya, or what you were saying, as you were just looking out for others.

Just that I thought there should be at least some distinction in the law between drifting sideways in traffic, and doing a few spins in an empty parking lot.

Personally, I'd really like to hit up an empty lot just so I could get a better idea of how my car handles and reacts in the snow. Instead, I'm forced to learn this on the roads with traffic around me.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's cool. But since you're from the NorthEast, let me give you an example that could surprise you. Imagine that you've had too much to drink, but you're a good person, so you decide to sleep it off in your car, instead of drive drunk. And given that sleeping (alone) in you car is rather boring, you put on some tunes.

Guess what. In CT, at least, if your car is on the street or a parking lot with ten or more spaces, you're now subject to a DUI. Keys in ignition = driving; parking lot with 10 or more spaces = on a public roadway.

I was working third shift in a convenience store in Stafford Springs when a guy doing exactly the above was arrested. When the two cops who arrested him came in for their complimentary coffee a little while later, I asked them why they arrested someone who was doing the right thing. They explained the rules that apply in CT, included that I - as the person responsible for the parking lot at the time - could not give him permission to sleep drunk in his car with the keys in the ignition. (Not that I had.)

Then I asked them to pay for their coffee, since the rules don't allow me to give coffee to cops and no-one else, and don't allow them to accept freebies that no-one else gets. They put their cups down and left. The next day my boss almost fired me.

That was the third or fourth of six nails in my idealism coffin.

edit: I am not saying that anyone did anything wrong, maybe with the exception of me being a jerk to the cops; my point is that the rules don't always make sense and so knowing them is important, as common sense might lead you astray

Last edited by Iowa999; Feb 14, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Freebs
lol done and done with the sig quote
Haha sick. Now I can cross that off the bucket list, now I just need to find a missed connection in Craigslist about me...

Then I asked them to pay for their coffee, since the rules don't allow me to give coffee to cops and no-one else, and don't allow them to accept freebies that no-one else gets. They put their cups down and left. The next day my boss almost fired me. That was the third or fourth of six nails in my idealism coffin.

At first I was like, man this guy is too serious. And now it all makes sense. Well played sir.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:37 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

my point is that the rules don't always make sense and so knowing them is important, as common sense might lead you astray
Yup, I'll agree with that

I've heard several stories of officers back in the day actually giving a ride home to a drunk guy sleeping in his car. But recently, I just heard of a kid that got a DUI for sleeping in his car, in his own driveway.. and some other guy that got one for being drunk on his riding mower, again on his own property.

But yeah, I really don't see the point in trying to punish someone that is showing good judgment by trying to do the right thing.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Freebs
Spare Evos laying around? I have 1 vehicle? the rest are partens/sisters/girl friends... It just seems dumb to me why you would park an AWD vehicle, with a snow mode!, during the winter... it sure as hell isn't going to go up in value and like I said you might be able to get another $2,000 for it over someone who enjoyed it all year round. It is the same reason my dad drives his R8 all year in the snow, it really is just a car. Yes for some it may be a dream car, but than for some an Evo is dream car too...

I would rather enjoy the Evo while I am making payments on it, rather than driving a crapy car for the winter months while still paying for the Evo....

I agree with you, for the most part. I drive all year 'round but we don't get much anyhow so it doesn't really count.

I won't apologise for assuming that the vehicles listed in your sig as in "the garage" are actually your vehicles.

I still think your post smacks of a spoiled brat's attitude, one incapable of empathizing with those who don't have wealthy dads who drive Audi supercars, people who pulled themselves up by their bootstraps since they were children and paid for every single one of their own cars. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Last edited by wjamyers; Feb 14, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

It's cool. But since you're from the NorthEast, let me give you an example that could surprise you. Imagine that you've had too much to drink, but you're a good person, so you decide to sleep it off in your car, instead of drive drunk. And given that sleeping (alone) in you car is rather boring, you put on some tunes.

Guess what. In CT, at least, if your car is on the street or a parking lot with ten or more spaces, you're now subject to a DUI. Keys in ignition = driving; parking lot with 10 or more spaces = on a public roadway.

I was working third shift in a convenience store in Stafford Springs when a guy doing exactly the above was arrested. When the two cops who arrested him came in for their complimentary coffee a little while later, I asked them why they arrested someone who was doing the right thing. They explained the rules that apply in CT, included that I - as the person responsible for the parking lot at the time - could not give him permission to sleep drunk in his car with the keys in the ignition. (Not that I had.)

Then I asked them to pay for their coffee, since the rules don't allow me to give coffee to cops and no-one else, and don't allow them to accept freebies that no-one else gets. They put their cups down and left. The next day my boss almost fired me.

That was the third or fourth of six nails in my idealism coffin.

edit: I am not saying that anyone did anything wrong, maybe with the exception of me being a jerk to the cops; my point is that the rules don't always make sense and so knowing them is important, as common sense might lead you astray
ahhh I see where you are coming from now... And yea thats not right at all... I mean they could MAYBE have given him a warning as its a stupid law, but a law none the less and they do have to do their job.

Originally Posted by wjamyers
I agree with you, for the most part. I drive all year 'round but we don't get much anyhow so it doesn't really count.

I won't apologise for assuming that the vehicles listed in your sig as in "the garage" are actually your vehicles.

I still think your post smacks of a spoiled brat's attitude, one incapable of empathizing with those who don't have wealthy dads who drive Audi supercars, people who pulled themselves up by their bootstraps since they were children and paid for every single one of their own cars. If I'm wrong, I apologize.
A Spoil brat? I will admit I have been fortunate to have never had to pay to play any of my sports or buy my own clothing, or even my University Education but I have payed for every thing else from Cell phones, car insurance/gas, and Car payments since day one. Right out of high school I got a job as an electrician and moved out and got my ticket, then decided I wanted to go back to school and get a degree so yes I moved back in with my parents. I am just finishing up after I did a compressed program to get my Business & Marketing degree in 3 years so that I can move out and buy my own house... Pretty damn good for a 24year old if you ask me... How many 24 year olds do you know with their electrical ticket and a Business/Marketing degree? I hardly would call my self a spoiled brat. Spoiled brat would be me not working at all, making my parents pay for my car and just moving my way into my dads company and sucking money from that. I have nothing to do with his company and have gone off in a totally different direction and working my way up in my friends family dealerships to maybe one day run them. Again I have worked my way up from a detail/wash kid up to a manager position within their company over the last few years while going to school...
And you would think if you worked so hard and "pulled up those boot straps" as you have claimed to have done, you would defiantly understand someone wanting to use a vehicle that they work so hard to have. Fortunately you aren't the first of your kind I have run across... Since you assumed all of this about me, I am going to assume you are 28-32 and hating life as you feel you are stuck at what seems to be a dead-end job or already hit your peak income so early on and hate the sight or thought of someone younger already having everything you have and more and just assume it was given to them. Yes I am probably WAY off on this assumption but I am just doing as you did. (haha guess I still do have a bit of childish acts in me yet)

Sorry for this rant guys but when I get accused of being a spoiled brat just because my family has money, it gets me going.

Back to the fun stuff though... The damn snow has gone as fast as it came... typical western Canada hopfully we get one more dump so I can find a bigger open lot and have more fun

Last edited by Freebs; Feb 14, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Glad to know you're 24, that explains a lot of your actions. However, no one should "hate" if you are given a fortunate set of cards to start, heck they wouldn't be compaining if they had the same thing. However I feel the thing that may rub people wrong is through your actions... i.e. - through your semi-tantrum of a response.

Keep up the hard work... maturity will come in time.

Nice vid BTW
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 01CBR929
Glad to know you're 24, that explains a lot of your actions. However, no one should "hate" if you are given a fortunate set of cards to start, heck they wouldn't be compaining if they had the same thing. However I feel the thing that may rub people wrong is through your actions... i.e. - through your semi-tantrum of a response.

Keep up the hard work... maturity will come in time.

Nice vid BTW
Thank you

But which part of my posts showed any signs of a tantrum? Explaining how I don't get everything handed to me is a tantrum? Maybe if I went off with "F'this, I do what ever I F'ing want blah blah you don't know me" kind of response I could see that.. I don't mind criticism (you defiantly learn to deal with criticism on sports teams, especially as a goalie when every goal is looked at as being your fault haha), But I didn't think explaining the situation was considered throwing a tantrum of any kind/size?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

lol. good on you mayte, pretty impressive!
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

looks like fun..i wish my dd was an evo x not a 99 civic
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JTEVO2932
looks like fun..i wish my dd was an evo x not a 99 civic
Tons
Why don't you rock the 05 Evo as your DD? The 8's and 9s were my first Evo loves but with very few being in Canada and the issue of no warranty (not that the X gets much of one from the dealerships anyway) I went with the X..
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:01 PM

Looks fun, maybe some more snow will come so I can give this a try
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Nah. no tantrum. fuhgedaboudit.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Squeeb
Looks fun, maybe some more snow will come so I can give this a try