Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Dash Rattle with Tomei Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash Rattle with Tomei Exhaust?

I bought my car about 6 months ago with the current mods already in place. I don't have much exposure to a stock Evo so..I have no frame of reference when it comes to evo "normal". I did a search for dash rattle and came up with nothing. ..Really? Surely I'm not the only one with this issue.

I've got the Tomei Expreme, AMS down pipe, and AMS test pipe. The car sounds beautiful. However, in the 2-3 thousand rpm range, the dash and the area behind my rear seats rattle/vibrate pretty fiercely. I'm not a stranger to modded cars with full exhaust/solid motor mounts the whole shabang so I don't think I'm being overly sensitive but it's starting to really bug me. Anything below or above that 2-3k sweet spot is fine, but as soon as I fall into it that range, whether it's under drivetrain load accel or decel it will rattle. Also, the problem gets worse when I had added weight in the car (like other people). Typically I can tune it out, but I feel like passengers may scoff (haters gonna hate).

When the rattle starts, I can press into the dash paneling around the vent controls and below the radio face to subdue it a little but really it's a futile effort because it makes no difference.
So..is it my exhaust that is causing this? Should I rip my dash apart (please no) and poke around?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:16 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Evo dash comes apart in like, 30 seconds.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:20 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWDani
I did a search for dash rattle and came up with nothing. ..Really? Surely I'm not the only one with this issue.
Think it's been discussed in the "Ultimate Rattle" sticky. Not sure if there's been a solution found yet..

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...xes-evo-x.html
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by AFD
Think it's been discussed in the "Ultimate Rattle" sticky. Not sure if there's been a solution found yet..

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...xes-evo-x.html
Thank you! I feel a little foolish now. I swear I searched
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:56 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AWDani
Thank you! I feel a little foolish now. I swear I searched
Lol, no prob.. now the hard part is trying to figure out exactly where the rattle is coming from!

For the noise behind the rear seats, you'll probably have to apply some felt or sound dampening material underneath the piece that sits below the rear window. The noise in the front could be numerous things.

Good luck
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:12 AM

I've got pretty much the same setup and it also rattles a bit. I say you just deal with it. Even Porsches rattle.