Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

redline cocktail mix and my evo :/

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
redline cocktail mix and my evo :/

I'm going to start off with saying my evo might be cursed.

so today, my redline cockatail mix came in and I couldn't wait to get home from work to put it in. so I did the procedure, and filled it just like any fluid. all went fine. so I went to go test drive it after, I Even let it warm up.

I must say, the notorious 2-3 shift notchiness was still there and I was quite disappointed :/

I'm not sure if all the reviews I read about it over hyped myself and thought it would cure the issue... but it's still there

other than needing to change te fluid (22k on stock fluid).. it didn't really make my shifts "smooth as butter" as I've read in some reviews.

just thought I'd share my experience. not bashing redline at all either, just don't know what else to do :/
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changing fluids doesn't relieve the 1-2 or 2-3 grind. However, my experience is that the Redline cocktail does provide for smoother shifting compared with the stock oil. I've also run AMSOIL 75w-90 which also makes shifting smoother compared with stock, but the Redline mix is smoother.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

Take reviews with a grain of salt. (At least most of the times)

Smoother shifting <- Yes
Notchiness going away <- no

Expression on your face when you realized this <- Priceless

ok..ok.. i know, but i had to say it.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:06 AM
Evolved Member

Usually the cocktail won't "fix" the notchiness in its own. However the cocktail with shifter base bushings and under hood gate selector bushings improve a lot. It will always be there to some extent. It is just how our transmissions are. Usually when jacks or Shep rebuilds them they massage the gears and file them so the joining is a lot smoother.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by armysoldier1073
Usually the cocktail won't "fix" the notchiness in its own. However the cocktail with shifter base bushings and under hood gate selector bushings improve a lot. It will always be there to some extent. It is just how our transmissions are. Usually when jacks or Shep rebuilds them they massage the gears and file them so the joining is a lot smoother.
Yea I was thinking about getting some bushings from AMS and the Redline Cocktail to improve shifting. When its cold outside its extremely notchy
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

My son put the cocktail into his 2011 Evo GSR last fall, hoping it would improve shifting. Instead, it made it even notchier. As the temperature fell, shifting became almost impossible, so he went back to the stock fluid, which seems to work better in colder weather. He fixed his shifting problem with a Torque Solutions short shifter and AMS bushings and adjusted the shifter as well. Along with a Cobb shift knob, the transmission shifts very smoothly.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i never will get this, why the OEM fliuds are not sufficent for a dd car , unless it is a build part of the car.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by armysoldier1073
^ This. You will never completely get rid of the notchiness. The underhood bushings improve shifter feel. I did the complete Works up grade Throw Shifter, Base bushing, under hood bushings, and am running AMSOIL 75w-90. This all help with the feel and precision of my shifts but there is still some notchiness but it's no where as bad as it used to me.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

The 2012's are just as notchy. I guess its just something you have to get use to. As long as its not grinding any gears. I have noticed my car feels like it has a sweet spot. If I switch gears between 3.6 and 3.8rpms it usually goes into gear pretty smoothly. Although even in the sweet spot I can feel the notchiness sometimes. I guess its just one of the few cons to an overall dang near perfect car.

Last edited by Kendogg; Feb 22, 2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:16 AM

Honestly, the notch is never going to go away. Sorry to disappoint you. The evo transmission is just known for this and no matter what you do, believe me I tried, the notch will always be there, just learn to live with it. Redline only makes it slightly better when warmed up.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i never will get this, why the OEM fliuds are not sufficent for a dd car , unless it is a build part of the car.
The OEM transmission fluid is almost 100 dollars!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

I want to use the oem fluids, what are the numbers model number etc.
When i go to the dealer what do i ask for, i know tranny fluid for evo x but trust me sometimes these guys don't know and they will probably give me wrong fluid.

So what is the correct oem fluid number for our trannys and how many qts etc.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 04Evo851374
I want to use the oem fluids, what are the numbers model number etc.
When i go to the dealer what do i ask for, i know tranny fluid for evo x but trust me sometimes these guys don't know and they will probably give me wrong fluid.

So what is the correct oem fluid number for our trannys and how many qts etc.
RTFM. Its in there.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by SaulHudson
Maybe there is a reason for it.
i never used anything in my cars but oem fluids everywhere.
Only thr engine oil has different weight because it is a build engine and als set up.

Never been any issue. I had evos in the usa since 2003.

And i never used any of my evo lightly. Never been a dd car either of them.

Rob
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SaulHudson
Should have bought a civic then.

Quick Reply: redline cocktail mix and my evo :/