Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

spacers and extended studs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spacers and extended studs

I am looking to put 15mm spacers on my stock bbs wheels....if any of you have experience with this, do i need extended studs or it will fit fine on the stock setup?? while we are on the subject, what about 20mm spacers?

thanks
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
You need extended studs. The way it works is you need at least 5-6 threads minimum for a lug nut to be safely on. I recommend extended studs for anything after 5mm. You have three choices:

1) Get ARP extended studs and open ended lug nuts
2) Get something like ichiba v1 spacer which comes with 15mm longer studs
3) Get something like ichiba v2 where the spacer comes with new studs built into it. So you bolt the spacer onto your current hub.

For choice 3, make sure your wheel has the space behind it for the indentations you'll get from the bolts used to lock in your new spacer.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:17 AM

If my rims are 9' offset 22 can i still use 15mm spacer to get more strech.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
spacers don't affect tire mounting; they're just a piece of metal that changes the offset.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe you thought that "strech" was a typo for "stretch," but it's actually the Venusian word for "track."
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

i am running 20mm spacers with extended studs on my mr bbs wheels for the winter time. everything sits perfectly flush with zero rubbing issues except on the front liner it scrapes at full lock cause of the tread. Tires are oem sized
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by jdmEviL8
i am running 20mm spacers with extended studs on my mr bbs wheels for the winter time. everything sits perfectly flush with zero rubbing issues except on the front liner it scrapes at full lock cause of the tread. Tires are oem sized
What are you doing for lugs nuts? I ask because I thought aftermarket lugs didn't mate up to our oem wheels
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:52 PM

Im guessing you would use open ended lug nuts.. for clearance.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Deraj
What are you doing for lugs nuts? I ask because I thought aftermarket lugs didn't mate up to our oem wheels
Im using the OEM lug nuts. The extended studs are on the spacers same pitch and thread as OEM
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jdmEviL8
Im using the OEM lug nuts. The extended studs are on the spacers same pitch and thread as OEM
Where'd you get the spacers? I'm going to throw so blizzaks on next winter and would like to use the spacers for the winter setup.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:27 PM

Make sure you're getting hub centric spacers if you're using the OEM wheels (with flat nuts) since there's a little play between the side of the nuts and the wheel. If you bolt up the wheels to a spacer without some kind of hubcentric ring (like I did) you'll have a really hard time centering it perfectly and you'll get vibration at over 60 mph. Without a spacer you set the wheel agains the hub and it centers itself.

I'm running bolt on Kics project 10mm spacers but I'm switching to 15mm spacers with hub centric adapters since I'm getting vibration at high speed. (I track the car in the summer so I don't want vibration at 60 much less 120mph!)

I'm also running NT03+M's in the winter, so I currently don't have vibration problems since they use cone shaped lug nuts (the wheel center's itself when you torque the lugs) so if you plan on going with aftermarket wheels any kind of spacer is fine.

Hope you find this useful!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

This all helps guys thanks! I have looked at some pics and i'm wondering if 15mm or 20mm would look better... I am looking for a flush look
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:56 PM

With the BBS wheels I think 20mm would be flush with the fenders. Also if you do get a bolt-on spacer you won't have to buy extended studs. What's more, the factory studs won't need cutting as they'll fit in the recessed area on the back of the BBS's hub.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

older shot but this is with 20mm spacers

Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Could you tell which spacers those are? I was looking into ichiba v2 but maybe theres better out there...

Yeah 20mm is nice and flush, what are u lowered on jdmevil8?? Im going for swift spec r so i want it to look a certain way

Quick Reply: spacers and extended studs