Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What RPMs do you shift at?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 08:18 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mako_7
DD-3-3.5K, AGR-4-5K, haven't had anyone wanting to race me yet, they just give me the thumbs up and slow down! LoL
Sorry, what's AGR?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 09:08 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Sure. If you look closer, the RPM would align if second gear was listed as 54mph. I think this proves there is a misprint in the manual.
My bad! I looked back in the manual, and it was me that wrote down 44 mph when typing everything out.. manual does say 55 mph (which corresponds with the 90 km/h that was written).

I made the correction in my post. Sorry!
Old Mar 2, 2012, 09:52 AM

Old Mar 2, 2012, 09:57 AM

Daily 2.5 -3 less jerky and you can save a little bit on gas.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Between 3 and 5. But I am always curious as to how much gas is saved by shifter sooner. I mean in $ terms. Is it hundreds a year or is it a few bucks? Anyone ever ran the numbers?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 09:08 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
Between 3 and 5. But I am always curious as to how much gas is saved by shifter sooner. I mean in $ terms. Is it hundreds a year or is it a few bucks? Anyone ever ran the numbers?
Millions! Lol.

For me, the difference between granny driving & regular/spirited driving is usually 2MPG. At $4/gal for 7.5k miles/yr.. I'd save around $150 each year. Totally not worth it, in my opinion.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AFD
Millions! Lol.

For me, the difference between granny driving & regular/spirited driving is usually 2MPG. At $4/gal for 7.5k miles/yr.. I'd save around $150 each year. Totally not worth it, in my opinion.
I figured that. It's like the people at Costco that wait 10 min in line to save 5 or 10 cents a gallon. Maybe it is worth it for some. But there is no way I am going to wait in line to save $1.30. I have to save at least 10 bucks or more to be willing to wait that long and even then I probably wouldn't do it. I know I know, it adds up but I just don't like waiting. If I am going to waste time I would rather do it closing another deal at work than sitting in line.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:48 AM

If you are shifting below 3k its actually bad for these transmissions. I saw a thread about people having a "notchy" shift into third gear, but after talking to a mech at the mitsu dealership its only notchy or kinda grinding if you shift below 3k or so. Ever since I started shifting at higher RPM's it shifts a lot smoother.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:11 AM

3-3.5k
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ice1874193
Why did you guys buy an evo and shift under 3500?
My question exactly

If you shift below 3500 you aren't even hitting boost. Might as well have just bought a regular lancer
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
My question exactly

If you shift below 3500 you aren't even hitting boost. Might as well have just bought a regular lancer

There is a difference in DD and agrressive/tracking. I honestly think ppl who always hit the redline to shift are stupid moron who want to show off. Tell me the point to go hit 7k rpm when you are in a city doing light to light ...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lalexl
There is a difference in DD and agrressive/tracking. I honestly think ppl who always hit the redline to shift are stupid moron who want to show off. Tell me the point to go hit 7k rpm when you are in a city doing light to light ...
There is a rather large distance between 3K RPM and redline... You don't have to drive like a moron to use the turbo. If you consider using the turbo being a moron, why even buy the car?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
There is a rather large distance between 3K RPM and redline... You don't have to drive like a moron to use the turbo. If you consider using the turbo being a moron, why even buy the car?
Maybe I didn't explain myself right but no I don't think it's stupid to use your turbo. But you don't have to hit the 7k rpm everytime. What i meant is that you don't have to go 7k on EACH and EVERY shift.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lalexl
Maybe I didn't explain myself right but no I don't think it's stupid to use your turbo. But you don't have to hit the 7k rpm everytime. What i meant is that you don't have to go 7k on EACH and EVERY shift.
I think we agree. My comment was mainly my confusion at people who never seem to shift above 3-3.5k rpms, which is essentially the same as never using the turbo.

I didn't mean to imply that everybody should be shifting at redline.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:19 PM

Guys stop hitting red lines and lets booosst,

Quick Reply: What RPMs do you shift at?