Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Any diff for replacement intercooler

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any diff for replacement intercooler

I intend to replace stock intercooler to a aftermarket one ,
does it helps alot on a SST with EF2 turbo.

Which brand model works better.

Thx
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

yes it helps alot. aftermarket intercoolers wouldnt exist if there were zero gains. look up the dyno test thread or just get the ets/ams/buschur.. blah blah blah
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by jdmEviL8
yes it helps alot. aftermarket intercoolers wouldnt exist if there were zero gains. look up the dyno test thread or just get the ets/ams/buschur.. blah blah blah
Yup. Just make sure you buy a quality fin design. A crap design will heat soak very quickly.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by alansupra94
Yup. Just make sure you buy a quality fin design. A crap design will heat soak very quickly.
Hi , which one should i get to have a better quality fin design.

thx
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by playerbanker
Hi , which one should i get to have a better quality fin design.

thx
Any popular manufacture is good...HKS, GReddy, etc......ETS is a new company and has excellent results too. I run precision/garrett inter cooler cores.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
^^^ I wouldn't get a Garrett core. They used to be really nice, but I've heard they have gone down in quality lately. I would stick to AMS or ETS.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am really starting to feel that the new generation of N00B just don't know how to use the search function. We really do love all the n00bies and their excitement for the Evo but 99.99% of all this has been discussed and can be found with in the forum or buy doing a simple google search. Here is a link to the forum rules check it out and read a bit. It's full of some great knowledge.

As for your question, ETS and AMS all the way. ETS has some quality products and at great prices. I know that I will upgrade to the ETS 4" IC when I get the money.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Get Rad
I am really starting to feel that the new generation of N00B just don't know how to use the search function. We really do love all the n00bies and their excitement for the Evo but 99.99% of all this has been discussed and can be found with in the forum or buy doing a simple google search. Here is a link to the forum rules check it out and read a bit. It's full of some great knowledge.

As for your question, ETS and AMS all the way. ETS has some quality products and at great prices. I know that I will upgrade to the ETS 4" IC when I get the money.
While I do agree that the search function should be where people start, a lot of the times you will get hundreds of threads and most of them, might just have those words you search in them but not actually pertain to what you want to know, or it could be an old thread that you were just complaining about getting resurrected (the rear wiper one) and there could be new info on these parts and such. Like the one post in this thread that lately one company has gone downhill. What if he saw a post from a couple years ago that said how marvelous it was, ordered it, and it was a piece of crap? There is some extent in which new threads being started are not a big deal. Even if they are rehashes, most people don't mind still discussing it and giving their opinion and trying to help. You are the only one I have seen regularly complain about the search function and what not. If a mod wants to combine it with another thread they can, but complaining about every new thread that has been covered 4 years ago, or 7 years ago, is not going to change it. Most people are not going to want to look through hundreds of posts to try and find one thing, when if they start new, it will get his questions answered and probably get many new opinions that are more relevant for current timing.

So just relax, and go with the flow. If you see a thread that is a repost from a year ago, you dont have to click on it, and you certainly don't have to complain about them not using the search function cause that doesnt help the thread at all anyways, and it just makes you look like a douche.

But lets also be fair, you did finally anser the question. The rest was not necessary.

Last edited by Wildcat Birdie; Feb 29, 2012 at 06:45 AM. Reason: addition
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes it will help on your intended setup.

Plenty of good brands out there. Look into Perrin, AGP, ETS, AMS, etc.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wildcat Birdie
While I do agree that the search function should be where people start, a lot of the times you will get hundreds of threads and most of them, might just have those words you search in them but not actually pertain to what you want to know, or it could be an old thread that you were just complaining about getting resurrected (the rear wiper one) and there could be new info on these parts and such. Like the one post in this thread that lately one company has gone downhill. What if he saw a post from a couple years ago that said how marvelous it was, ordered it, and it was a piece of crap? There is some extent in which new threads being started are not a big deal. Even if they are rehashes, most people don't mind still discussing it and giving their opinion and trying to help. You are the only one I have seen regularly complain about the search function and what not. If a mod wants to combine it with another thread they can, but complaining about every new thread that has been covered 4 years ago, or 7 years ago, is not going to change it. Most people are not going to want to look through hundreds of posts to try and find one thing, when if they start new, it will get his questions answered and probably get many new opinions that are more relevant for current timing.

So just relax, and go with the flow. If you see a thread that is a repost from a year ago, you dont have to click on it, and you certainly don't have to complain about them not using the search function cause that doesnt help the thread at all anyways, and it just makes you look like a douche.

But lets also be fair, you did finally anser the question. The rest was not necessary.

I just can't stand laziness. I do a lot of research on all the parts for my car and all the information I need I have found with in the forum or online. Researching parts takes time and you have to sort your way through a lot of useless crap but that is how you learn. I only resort to posting a thread as a last ditch effort. The forum is full of everything you need and everything I have been reading for the past few weeks have been posted by N00Bs who just don't use the search function. I just feel the N00Bs don't spend enough time in the Newbie section getting to know the site and their car.

As the old saying goes "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Maybe I am just turning into a grumpy old man
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

The real question is what do you want to pay for an intercooler. AMS, ETS, Buschur all make great intercoolers, really it comes down to price.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Get Rad
I just can't stand laziness. I do a lot of research on all the parts for my car and all the information I need I have found with in the forum or online. Researching parts takes time and you have to sort your way through a lot of useless crap but that is how you learn. I only resort to posting a thread as a last ditch effort. The forum is full of everything you need and everything I have been reading for the past few weeks have been posted by N00Bs who just don't use the search function. I just feel the N00Bs don't spend enough time in the Newbie section getting to know the site and their car.

As the old saying goes "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Maybe I am just turning into a grumpy old man
And I agree to some extent what you are saying is correct. A lot of the questions I have for pre purchase, like trying to look up reliability issues, I have read through a lot of threads and didn't just post new saying, "hey, what issues do you guys tend to have?" I have been doing a lot of research between that, good deals on cars and where to get said deals, because I am really hoping to get an X before the Evo becomes "green." I have done lots of research in many years to try and figure it all out. But some people cant find what they are looking for, there have been a few times I have had lots of issues finding stuff, and in turn spent many hours looking through threads brought up from one search only to find 99% of them were worthless to what I was looking for.

All in all though, some people don't have the time and/or aren't willing to put in the time to go through what I did. Or what you did. Or what many people have done in the past. And yes it does raise issues, but sometimes its just best to let things slide too.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Ams ftw
Old Feb 29, 2012, 09:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by ugakirk
^^^ I wouldn't get a Garrett core. They used to be really nice, but I've heard they have gone down in quality lately. I would stick to AMS or ETS.
Wow really? you realize that AMS uses Garrett cores right? And you aslo know that ETS does as well or at least they use to. I know ETS was using other optons and I do know the Garrett core was an option.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 02:13 AM

ets or ams... both are really good but i prefer ets

Quick Reply: Any diff for replacement intercooler