Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Went EVO shopping yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've heard that it's a recent government mandate that ALL dealers must do it. I've also heard that it's a way to pad the numbers to look like they're doing well.

Who knows. What I do know, is that I wouldn't be letting anyone run my credit if I was about to pay cash for the car.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never heard of credit check for test drive. Making copy DL yea.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
Who knows. What I do know, is that I wouldn't be letting anyone run my credit if I was about to pay cash for the car.
Neither would I. But you have to do something to show you are a legit cash buyer as opposed to someone just talking smack. Show them your funds. Or have them call your bank to confirm the needed funds. Or pull up in the $250k exotic sports car or something. I think you need more than a Range and your word of how much money you have for the dealers to believe you and take you seriously.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:55 PM

I went to three different dealers to shop an Evo X about 5 months ago. All of them told me that they "must" run my credit before they let me test drive especially Evo X. I thought it was fare request and it didn't bother me. So, I had them run my credit and I got to test drive them.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Seeing that you're in LA I assume this to be SOP to turn away people looking for a joy ride. However, I was allowed to test drive three Evo Xs at three different dealerships when I was car shopping. The only place that asked for a credit check was a Subaru dealership. And when I told the salesman I already had financing (because I did) he just walked back into the showroom and never came back. lol, thanks for helping me make the better choice, guy!

If you're looking for a test drive (also the best prices normally found) I'd head over to South Coast Mitsu in Costa Mesa. I got a test drive there without a credit check (circa 2008) and drove a brand new X off the lot a couple days later. I drove up from San Diego and it was worth the effort.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stokEd
If you're looking for a test drive (also the best prices normally found) I'd head over to South Coast Mitsu in Costa Mesa. I got a test drive there without a credit check (circa 2008) and drove a brand new X off the lot a couple days later. I drove up from San Diego and it was worth the effort.
I would assume someone who buys $250,000 cars doesn't care to go out of his way to much to save a couple grand. Atleast I know I wouldn't. If I had that kind of money to spend I would consider my time more valuable than the couple grand I would save.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:13 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by What's Next?
So i've been kicking around the idea of getting a EVO. My buddy just bought a STI and I am going to get a EVO to prove a point to him. It would be a 4rd car for me that I would Mod to make it a fun track/weekend toy. I pull up to the dealer in my Range Rover and sales person comes out asking if they could help. I told them I was interested in the EVO MR. The sales person takes me in the back they have a bunch of MR's and GSR's. I find a MR that I like that has the options I was looking for. He asks if I was interested and if he should go get the keys to open it up? I told him yes i'd like to open it up and go for a test drive. The sales guy looks at me a says he can open it but we can not go on a test drive with out running my credit. At first I thought he was kidding, I told him i'm a all cash buyer and I dont want my credit ran. He said sorry but with out running my credit I could not test drive the car.
I was pretty taken back by this. He then explained that this was standard policy that ALL dealers do this. That if they let people test drive them than the cars would have to many miles on them. I'm 34 years old, I have owned exotic cars in the past and not even when I went to purchase one of those did they want to run my credit to test drive a 250k+ car!
I'm not a dick by all means but this just rubbed me the wrong way. After telling them how I felt about their policy I walked away. I am a impulse buyer and if I liked the car I would have bought it.
Did everyone here have to have their credit checked to buy their EVO?
good job on the salesman for catching an impulse buyer=window shopper. If you are really serious in buying an evo, you do not need a test drive.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

When I showed up to buy my X I didn't care to test drive...already new I wanted it. Dealer did offer to let me test drive and without a credit check but I just wanted to just get the deal done. So my first drive was when I left the lot.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
If you are really serious in buying an evo, you do not need a test drive.
When I went to buy my IX, they asked me if I wanted to go for a test drive, (they had a single Evo as a designated test vehicle. It was an 04 SSL) I politely said that "I'm all set because the IX's have MIVEC, and ACD, yada yada yada, and it would be like a different car anyway..." The sales manager overheard and started busting the sales man's chops saying that I probably knew more about the car than he did. He was correct.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Thats why finding a good dealership makes a huge difference. I walked into the dealership and was well taken care of and they took me seriously... i only went in to find out how much it cost and stuff and i wanted to leave because my mom was with me and she was hungry. So the sales lady said you have to test drive it ... i told her no thanks its okay my friends have them so i dont need to test drive it, but she insisted we go for a test drive and we did , but she didnt run my credit.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by denlin68
Thats why finding a good dealership makes a huge difference. I walked into the dealership and was well taken care of and they took me seriously... i only went in to find out how much it cost and stuff and i wanted to leave because my mom was with me and she was hungry. So the sales lady said you have to test drive it ... i told her no thanks its okay my friends have them so i dont need to test drive it, but she insisted we go for a test drive and we did , but she didnt run my credit.
Should have driven it to a restaurant to get your mom some food. lol
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:31 PM

Wink

Yea, like what others have said, it's different for every dealer, the dealer I went to did not allow me to test drive it; their main reason is, "if they let everyone test drive it, they would lose $." Even though my family has been loyal to this mitsu dealership for more than decade. But I knew I would never get disappointed with an EVO, so I bought the car without test driving it.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kendogg
I would assume someone who buys $250,000 cars doesn't care to go out of his way to much to save a couple grand. Atleast I know I wouldn't. If I had that kind of money to spend I would consider my time more valuable than the couple grand I would save.
I'm a local business owner and try to support other local business. I figured i'd go to dealership that is cloest to me. I'd drive to save a couple grand, it's more money to put towards mods.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:40 PM

I test drove a Legacy GT and a STi at two different dealers before buying my Evo last week. None of the 3 dealers ran my credit, just needed a copy of my DL.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:39 PM
T6
Evolving Member

Simply put, they want to know if something happens during test drive you are able to afford the repairs and the difference on price after being in an accident. Some dealers are **** about things.

I do understand your point though, rolling in a Range and being asked that but they dont really know you own that car, could be your uncles/moms/dads etc... I am not taking a side, I am just telling you their side no matter how it might not make sense in your shoes.

I did test drive a brand new zo7 (zo6 with zr1 performance package. 95k for price) with nothing asked but a copy of my DL and insurance. Which is what that salesguy should have done to you. Running credit... I've never even heard of that crap.

Quick Reply: Went EVO shopping yesterday....