Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Went EVO shopping yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny I had the same thing happen to me and I went in a Range Rover. Not that the car mattered, just funny we had the same situation. Huntington Beach told me they only allow people to drive the used ones. So I took the used one for a drive for the fun of it, wasted about half hour of the sales persons time and went to Anaheim and bought it. They let me drive the new one I bought.

Originally Posted by What's Next?
So i've been kicking around the idea of getting a EVO. My buddy just bought a STI and I am going to get a EVO to prove a point to him. It would be a 4rd car for me that I would Mod to make it a fun track/weekend toy. I pull up to the dealer in my Range Rover and sales person comes out asking if they could help. I told them I was interested in the EVO MR. The sales person takes me in the back they have a bunch of MR's and GSR's. I find a MR that I like that has the options I was looking for. He asks if I was interested and if he should go get the keys to open it up? I told him yes i'd like to open it up and go for a test drive. The sales guy looks at me a says he can open it but we can not go on a test drive with out running my credit. At first I thought he was kidding, I told him i'm a all cash buyer and I dont want my credit ran. He said sorry but with out running my credit I could not test drive the car.
I was pretty taken back by this. He then explained that this was standard policy that ALL dealers do this. That if they let people test drive them than the cars would have to many miles on them. I'm 34 years old, I have owned exotic cars in the past and not even when I went to purchase one of those did they want to run my credit to test drive a 250k+ car!
I'm not a dick by all means but this just rubbed me the wrong way. After telling them how I felt about their policy I walked away. I am a impulse buyer and if I liked the car I would have bought it.
Did everyone here have to have their credit checked to buy their EVO?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

I sell cars at a mitsubishi dealer. We deliberately don't do this for exactly the reason you're writing about! We don't credit check people, we don't make people set appointments. You want to drive one, you can. The only "requirement" is that my general manager comes and talks with you for like 5 minutes (he also owns and Evo). That's a BS policy.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wildcat Birdie
Some do it some don't care. My dealership made me do the credit app and all that before I could test drive. Its a dealer to dealer thing. Some just want to have the protection and know that it is a serious buyer. But at the same time, if you would have shown them cash, I would have been surprised if they still said no. But it probably didn't look like you had $45K sitting in your pocket either.
And you still bought from them? Between my girlfriend and myself (she changes cars like most people change underwear) I have test driven, Audi, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Jag, Rover and who knows what else NEVER been asked for more than anything other than a license. Many times the sales people let us take the car without them in it. Evo should be no different. I even test rose a Ducati motorcycle without anything more than a license.

But it's dealer choice just like we have the choice to buy someplace else.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:43 PM

at least you are lucky, you can test drive an EVO. Here, in quebec, it is very hard to test drive an EVO at the dealership... nearly impossible.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Daluv
at least you are lucky, you can test drive an EVO. Here, in quebec, it is very hard to test drive an EVO at the dealership... nearly impossible.
Same in my area. The test drive just like the pricing will fluctuate depending on where you live.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

I pulled up in an Evo 8 and they couldn't get me into the X to test drive it fast enough... I didn't even enter the building before they were out there with keys shoving me towards the car to test drive it.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

I had a similar experience accept the first place I went to check out the X they wouldn't let me test driver regardless of credit check. The next day I went to a dealership 10 miles down the road bought a brand new X after they let me test drive no questions asked. I called the first dealership the next day and told them about their lost sale.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

They let me take mine out by myself. My dealer was going out of buisness though and I dont think they cared anymore.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:31 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I'm going against the grain here and saying I'm glad lots of dealers don't allow test drives on new performance cars. I basically unwrapped my IX at South Coast, it had 2 miles on it.

I don't want a bunch of people ragging on my car before I buy it.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Why does everyone care if they run your credit history? I understand if your credit is terrible. When I bought my lancer a few years back, they asked to run my credit and I didn't even have any credit lol. Now when I bought my X they still wanted to run it and I said fine because I have an account with freecreditreport.com and know what my scores are.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:35 AM

wont ever go wrong with an evo!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Noize
I'm going against the grain here and saying I'm glad lots of dealers don't allow test drives on new performance cars. I basically unwrapped my IX at South Coast, it had 2 miles on it.

I don't want a bunch of people ragging on my car before I buy it.

My thoughts exactly. What does everyone do when they test drive a car? Basically beat the nuts off it. How fast does it accelerate, how fast does it stop, how hard can you corner, etc. For most cars the hardest miles of it's life are the first 50 or so that it remains on the dealer lot. I'd pay extra to have a car that was never test driven.

In reply to the OP, I've never had a credit check to test drive a car. They usually just run your license and off you go. I'd probably object to that unless I was dead set on buying the car, in which case what difference does it make?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CaptainSlow
My thoughts exactly. What does everyone do when they test drive a car? Basically beat the nuts off it. How fast does it accelerate, how fast does it stop, how hard can you corner, etc. For most cars the hardest miles of it's life are the first 50 or so that it remains on the dealer lot. I'd pay extra to have a car that was never test driven.

In reply to the OP, I've never had a credit check to test drive a car. They usually just run your license and off you go. I'd probably object to that unless I was dead set on buying the car, in which case what difference does it make?
I work at a Mitsu dealer, and we only have an MR and a GSR. They're both in the showroom, and therefore can't be test-driven on a whim. We have found that when people buy an Evo, they want pretty much no miles on it. If we left one of our Evos on the lot for test drives, it would be beaten on and would have more miles on it than most people would want. Better still, the wheels would be stolen (happened at a dealership near us). If we have serious buyers, of course we would make the cars available to drive. The problem is, 95% of the people who come to test drive aren't as serious as you'd think. That leaves us with a pretty beat-on car for that 5% who actually want to buy it.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:39 PM

Wow, that is nuts.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SudzRA
I work at a Mitsu dealer, and we only have an MR and a GSR. They're both in the showroom, and therefore can't be test-driven on a whim. We have found that when people buy an Evo, they want pretty much no miles on it. If we left one of our Evos on the lot for test drives, it would be beaten on and would have more miles on it than most people would want. Better still, the wheels would be stolen (happened at a dealership near us). If we have serious buyers, of course we would make the cars available to drive. The problem is, 95% of the people who come to test drive aren't as serious as you'd think. That leaves us with a pretty beat-on car for that 5% who actually want to buy it.
ROFL, you guys don't use the wheel locks?

I agree with you that most people aren't going to qualify to buy one, but that doesn't mean we won't show them the respect of letting them drive the car if they're seriously interested in buying it. Yes, from time to time we turn people down because they really are just looking to joy ride, but they're pretty easy to root them out.

It isn't that most of the people who I test drive them with don't want to buy them, it's that they can't afford it. I can't even tell you in the 3 months I've been selling cars how many Evo sales I've lost in financing because they don't make enough money, have **** credit, or no credit at all. But we feel it would be pretty ****ty of us to turn them away from driving it or checking their credit first... you only get so many free ones a year.

Last edited by TrogdorWBL; Mar 22, 2012 at 04:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Went EVO shopping yesterday....