Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Went EVO shopping yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Went EVO shopping yesterday....

So i've been kicking around the idea of getting a EVO. My buddy just bought a STI and I am going to get a EVO to prove a point to him. It would be a 4rd car for me that I would Mod to make it a fun track/weekend toy. I pull up to the dealer in my Range Rover and sales person comes out asking if they could help. I told them I was interested in the EVO MR. The sales person takes me in the back they have a bunch of MR's and GSR's. I find a MR that I like that has the options I was looking for. He asks if I was interested and if he should go get the keys to open it up? I told him yes i'd like to open it up and go for a test drive. The sales guy looks at me a says he can open it but we can not go on a test drive with out running my credit. At first I thought he was kidding, I told him i'm a all cash buyer and I dont want my credit ran. He said sorry but with out running my credit I could not test drive the car.
I was pretty taken back by this. He then explained that this was standard policy that ALL dealers do this. That if they let people test drive them than the cars would have to many miles on them. I'm 34 years old, I have owned exotic cars in the past and not even when I went to purchase one of those did they want to run my credit to test drive a 250k+ car!
I'm not a dick by all means but this just rubbed me the wrong way. After telling them how I felt about their policy I walked away. I am a impulse buyer and if I liked the car I would have bought it.
Did everyone here have to have their credit checked to buy their EVO?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

I know they have strict policy in their dealers around town, but I have test drove the Evos anyways (31 year old). Maybe you came across as someone not as serious in buying one? Not sure.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
First dealership I went to wanted to run my credit, I told them same thing that I was a cash buyer bla bla bla, they said we had to. Told them to shove that evo up theirs and went to another where they let me drive it by just showing my license. Maybe it was my age (23/24) when I got it, but then agian they didn't ask to run my credit for the sti, 370z, or bmws I was looking at either. Try a better a dealership possibly?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Some do it some don't care. My dealership made me do the credit app and all that before I could test drive. Its a dealer to dealer thing. Some just want to have the protection and know that it is a serious buyer. But at the same time, if you would have shown them cash, I would have been surprised if they still said no. But it probably didn't look like you had $45K sitting in your pocket either.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Im suprised even after you pulled up in a range rover?? Haha Gotta love sales men

Maybe you need an even nicer car? . If they see that you have a nice car already they may think you've got the cash to buy or trade today. I've gotten way better service going up to dealers in my friends Audi than in my other friends Cavalier. Of course a Range Rover is pretty nice in it's own right. Maybe you need to upgrade to the Wayne Rooney Edition?
Evolving Member

Some do it some don't care. My dealership made me do the credit app and all that before I could test drive. Its a dealer to dealer thing. Some just want to have the protection and know that it is a serious buyer. But at the same time, if you would have shown them cash, I would have been surprised if they still said no. But it probably didn't look like you had $45K sitting in your pocket either.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

For the Evo it sounds like SOP. Back in 2003 I went to look at the Evo, and the dealership then said the only way I was going to test drive one was after I signed the paperwork and was driving it off the lot. They did tell me that if in the first 24 hours I didn't like it they would do a 100% refund.

Dealer I went to for my X only had 1 MR in the show room, and if I wanted to test drive they required a credit check and a 24hr advanced notice appointment for the test drive...after the credit check.

I bought my GSR with never test driving it. Really though, I mean it is a car. If you are buying it with cash or not, just running your credit isn't really a hit on it. I mean I don't know your credit situation, but I freak out when my score drops below 795 and I wasn't worried about the credit check. If I was buying a new car every 2 weeks...well then I might be worried.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CaptainAsia
First dealership I went to wanted to run my credit, I told them same thing that I was a cash buyer bla bla bla, they said we had to. Told them to shove that evo up theirs and went to another where they let me drive it by just showing my license. Maybe it was my age (23/24) when I got it, but then agian they didn't ask to run my credit for the sti, 370z, or bmws I was looking at either. Try a better a dealership possibly?
I had the same experence at the first dealership I went to and I ended up not buying it from them and getting my X elsewhere. (29)
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your lucky lol. When I was shopping for my Evo the local dealership said I couldn't test drive it.

So I went to an out of town dealer and test drove it and bought it the same day. Without them running my credit. Just depends on where you go I guess.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Thats just how most of the dealerships do it. The dealerships in my area not only want to run a credit check, they want you to pretty much buy the car. You do all the steps besides the actual financing and signature part. And even then, when you test drive, you have to test drive the Evo you are wanting to buy. You cant test drive the blue Evo and then want to buy the WW one.

In the dealerships eyes I guess you weren't serious enough since you didnt want to submit to a credit check. The credit check is not going to bring your score down by much and if you have the kind of cash you are saying, who cares about your credit anyways? I can understand you wanting to pay cash if you have that kind of money. I also understand that someone isnt going to carry that kind of cash with them. But if I had been in your shoes and wanted to pay cash and not run a credit check and was serious about buying the Evo, I would have logged into my back account online and showed them the kind of money I was packing.

Even showing up in a Range doesnt really mean alot. To them you might have just taken daddy's Range to the dealership and began barking about all this money you have. Im sure people have spouted all kinds of **** off at the mouth to them before. I personally am glad they limit the test drives though. For one the dealerships in my area do not have a selection of Evo's. We have 3 dealerships. 1 had 1. The second had 2. And the third had 1. So if they let everyone who wanted to test drive an Evo actually test drive one, the 4 Evo's we had would have had high miles on them. If a dealership has a large selection of Evo's, I think they should use one as a test drive vehicle and later sale that one at a discount.

Again this just varies depending on your dealership. If you are truely serious about buying the Evo, just submit to a stupid credit check. It wont bring your score down by much and you will just gain the points back in a matter of months anyways.

To go off subject about credit, I dont know my score. I know I'm in the 700's. When I bought my Evo and my Outlander I was told I was in tier 1 of the credit(?). But it was strange to me because the finance company for both those loans did not ask for any kind of proof of income. My credit use to be bad years ago and I have worked very hard throughout the years to get it in check. I'm just so use to having to verify income. If you have good credit do finance companies not care to have you verify your income?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kendogg
Thats just how most of the dealerships do it. The dealerships in my area not only want to run a credit check, they want you to pretty much buy the car. You do all the steps besides the actual financing and signature part. And even then, when you test drive, you have to test drive the Evo you are wanting to buy. You cant test drive the blue Evo and then want to buy the WW one.

In the dealerships eyes I guess you weren't serious enough since you didnt want to submit to a credit check. The credit check is not going to bring your score down by much and if you have the kind of cash you are saying, who cares about your credit anyways? I can understand you wanting to pay cash if you have that kind of money. I also understand that someone isnt going to carry that kind of cash with them. But if I had been in your shoes and wanted to pay cash and not run a credit check and was serious about buying the Evo, I would have logged into my back account online and showed them the kind of money I was packing.

Even showing up in a Range doesnt really mean alot. To them you might have just taken daddy's Range to the dealership and began barking about all this money you have. Im sure people have spouted all kinds of **** off at the mouth to them before. I personally am glad they limit the test drives though. For one the dealerships in my area do not have a selection of Evo's. We have 3 dealerships. 1 had 1. The second had 2. And the third had 1. So if they let everyone who wanted to test drive an Evo actually test drive one, the 4 Evo's we had would have had high miles on them. If a dealership has a large selection of Evo's, I think they should use one as a test drive vehicle and later sale that one at a discount.

Again this just varies depending on your dealership. If you are truely serious about buying the Evo, just submit to a stupid credit check. It wont bring your score down by much and you will just gain the points back in a matter of months anyways.

To go off subject about credit, I dont know my score. I know I'm in the 700's. When I bought my Evo and my Outlander I was told I was in tier 1 of the credit(?). But it was strange to me because the finance company for both those loans did not ask for any kind of proof of income. My credit use to be bad years ago and I have worked very hard throughout the years to get it in check. I'm just so use to having to verify income. If you have good credit do finance companies not care to have you verify your income?
If you have good credit, it means you are making money to pay of any lines of credit that are open. If you have no payments going on at the moment, it can actually lower your credit due to you not actually having any sort of recent credit history.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kendogg
IFAIK - Housing market crash and all the people walking away from homes since 2006/7 has caused autoloan lenders to stop considering 785ish+ Tier 1 and started calling 720-35+ Tier 1.

It used to be a dealership wouldn't even return your calls if they found your score was under 600, now a days they land "decent" interest loans for people with trashed credit.

This is just my opinion and it doesn't mean a thing to anyone, however; I feel that people that walked away from a house because it's "value" is different that what it was when they bought it, don't deserve the "help" to get back to buying stuff. It sounds mean, and I'm not trying to hurt anyone, just reasoning this on the thought that when you decided to make a mortgage payment of lets say $2500/mo for 30years, you felt paying that much was acceptable, but with the though of paying >$600k for a home now worth $350k it's "not okay". Buy a home because it meets the needs of your family and is designed and located in an area you need, not because you're basing your retirement off selling it. This is just common sense.

Anyhow Ken, I agree with everything in your post. There are 3 dealers in my city, all have 1 Evo, sometimes 2 with a GSR and MR at the same time. If you want a specific package option, the dealer has to try to trade an out of state dealer and you pay premium price for your Evo. It's rough. I paid 37.5k for a GSR just because I was insistent on Sun and Leather and SSS packages. But, I'm happy with it!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

So if you are considered Tier 1 then you usually do not have to provide proof of income?

TheBlade....I paid $33,8k for my GSR stripped. It will seem high to others but for my area it was very fair.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:35 PM

My MR 2010 is for sale. Filled with Perrin goodies

Quick Reply: Went EVO shopping yesterday....