Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Looking to buy an EVO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy an EVO

Hello, hope everyone is well.

I am looking to buy an EVO (used) I really like the evo X look, but will consider older models if something outweighs the looks. To be honest I know very little about evo's so I want to research before I buy one. There are tons of reviews online by motor companies but what I really want are some actual owner's opinions. You guys know way more than online reviews as far as the little things to look out for. If you can help out in any way, I appreciate it.

1. Most common problems with evos between 2003-present
2. Differences between GSR and MR or other trims. (apologize for newbness)
3. How friendly is it to the aftermarket world?
4. Reliability and durability. Can I expect to get 200k miles out of it without major engine problems?

If I get one it will be used as a daily driver, few after market mods are expected but nothing super major. I do not plan on making this a track drag beast in any way. Just want a decent upgrade from my current Toyota celica thank you again.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

well i cant really speak for anything other than the x, but one of the main "issues" is just the notchy transmission. no grinds tho. but im on my second x, wrecked my first after just hitting 30k, and when it was time for a new car a few weeks after, no other car was even an option. maintenance is fairly cheap and also easy if you know your way around a car. the x gsr is a 5 speed and mr is a dual clutch 6 speed auto. parts are everywhere for all evo models, and a lot are also floating around in the marketplace here for good prices. hope this helps!
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:53 PM

Thank you ^^ I'm glad the first reply I got wasn't someone bashing me to use the "search" button. What exactly is the dual clutch 6sp auto? Performance wise, is the GSR faster ? Or are they equal? I am used to driving standard 6spd manual...I really don't like the auto-manual sportronic shift stuff.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

not necessarily faster as far as numbers go, but it can shift faster than any human can lol..if u wanna mod many on here would recommend the gsr as the tranny is pretty damn solid, the mr would require u to upgrade the clutch discs if u want to lay down serious power. one thing on the gsr tho is the weak plastic cmc
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:52 PM

Another thing to look out for possible problems would be timing chain stretch and clutch master cylinder on the x.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ionion
Another thing to look out for possible problems would be timing chain stretch and clutch master cylinder on the x.
Timing chains are self lubricating and self adjusting. Yes, they stretch out over time, but they should readjust on their own.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by TrogdorWBL
Timing chains are self lubricating and self adjusting. Yes, they stretch out over time, but they should readjust on their own.
I wasn't aware that they self adjust. I just know of it because my car threw that code and had to have the dealership fix it
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

the evo x comes in the gsr and mr trims. the gsr is a simple 5 speed manual. the mr is a bit more expensive because it comes with the dual-clutch 6 speed sst. shifts faster than any human being possibly can but as stated the tranny is tempermental if you get to around ~350 wtq but if you upgrade the clutch pack and discs it is opened back up to more.

a good idea for the X is to upgrade the cmc as it is a cheap plastic piece. an evo 9 magnus or the ams cmc are both great options. other than that, the x is a pretty durable and reliable car. as long as you mod correctly and keep up with the maintenance properly, it will last a very long time.

if you buy used, make sure the previous owner has kept his car up to par with maintenance and hasnt modded like an idiot. good luck with your search and hope to see u in an evo soon
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

I've owned an Evo VIII and now a X. I can gaurantee you will be happier driving either over a celica. The Evo is a reliable car but not as reliable as a Toyota. I've never driven a X MR but to me an Evo should be a stick, I'm sure the MR is fun but manual is better to me. Go test drive a couple Evos and you'll be hooked. Just find one with minimal modifications. Since I've foun the Evo I haven't been able to get away. The VIII and IX are more raw but the X is still a blast however a bit more refined. All are cheap plasticky interiors but if you are concerned with interior refinements keep the Celica and look elsewhere. The Evo makes you feel connected to the road when u drive it. It is a drivers car no doubt and it can easily frighten your passengers hehe. A well modified one is like a harnessed monster lurking in the fringe, and when you choose you may unleash the beast and it will easily consume most other cars on the road. If you want every civic with a grapefruit shooter on the back to try to race you then again this is the right car. The VIII and IX attract more police attention I think (based on my experience). For me all the downside is well worth while when weighed against the upside.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:24 AM

Ive started leaning towards a IX ...I've read that huge thread comparing the models. With the amount of money I have and my preferences, I am convinced the 9 is the way to go. 4 cylinder turbo awd is my main objective...and next would be looks/performance. To me the sti looks hideous (sorry if I offend anyone...just personal preference)
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by thegoodservant
I've owned an Evo VIII and now a X. I can gaurantee you will be happier driving either over a celica. The Evo is a reliable car but not as reliable as a Toyota. I've never driven a X MR but to me an Evo should be a stick, I'm sure the MR is fun but manual is better to me. Go test drive a couple Evos and you'll be hooked. Just find one with minimal modifications. Since I've foun the Evo I haven't been able to get away. The VIII and IX are more raw but the X is still a blast however a bit more refined. All are cheap plasticky interiors but if you are concerned with interior refinements keep the Celica and look elsewhere. The Evo makes you feel connected to the road when u drive it. It is a drivers car no doubt and it can easily frighten your passengers hehe. A well modified one is like a harnessed monster lurking in the fringe, and when you choose you may unleash the beast and it will easily consume most other cars on the road. If you want every civic with a grapefruit shooter on the back to try to race you then again this is the right car. The VIII and IX attract more police attention I think (based on my experience). For me all the downside is well worth while when weighed against the upside.

This here is good information for anyone considering getting an Evo.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an IX and absolutely loved it. I parted with mine to catch up on medical bills from a broken foot and a few root canals.

I was planning to buy a cheaper car for fun, but I couldn't find anything even remotely close to the Evo and have decided to get another one instead of compromise.

My Evo IX stole me away from a 1997 Mustang Cobra. One test drive and I was sold. Prior to that I wasn't sure what all the fuss was about.

You *have* to drive one. You can't guess what it will be like. You have to experience it. I had preconceived notions about some gutless 4banger coming out of my V8. In reality it had better power around 3000rpm than my Cobra ever did. You will be happy
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

If you wanna keep it for 200k miles, then the GSR 5speed is your best bet... no SST out there has hit 200k miles yet IMO (please correct me if wrong) and manuals are as old as the hills

200k miles in an Evo, specially with aftermarket parts, is not going to be a walk in the park lol, that's one thing...

If the Evo is not the best, most mod-friendly car out there then it's certainly on the top 10 (again correct me if wrong)... stickers and badges give you horsepower LOL! jk on that last one...

Besides the problems already listed here, nothing much to look for other than the abuse you put on your engine... oh and tires and brakes run out really fast. I haven't really had ANY issues with either my Evo-derived 2009 Ralliart (now gone) besides nearly burning thru the front rotors lol and my current 2011 Evo X GSR

In terms of looks, the previous Evos look like wicked badass sh*t out of hell... Evo X IMO looks more delicate, like more upscale and whatever but nothing looks better than a Graphite Gray IX with some exterior bits (vortex generator, lower front lip, etc...) its really a matter of preference, wherever you go car ppl will know you have an Evo whether it's a VIII or a X

Differences in today's MRs and GSRs (not sure about previous models) are basically the transmission, a few front brake parts, few suspension parts, wheels, then the rest is interior comfort stuff... oh, and the front bumper that has a few little decorating bits (call it bling if u want lol) oh and that starting from the 2010 models and up (might have been 2011 and up), Mitsu has ditched the smaller Lancer Wing on Evo X GSRs for the bigger "Evo-signature" wing (aka, SSS wing, or huge a** shopping cart wing), and removed the latter off the MR for a more subtle trunk lip

That's as much as i know... you can read many more details about the differences here:

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/evo/12/trims.do

Last edited by jazket; Mar 26, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:28 PM

There's a dealer close to me that has a 06 evo IX MR 6 speed 95k miles for $19,750. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. What will I need to look out for? How do I know if there's a boost leak? And does the evo IX have a gsr trim w 5 speed? Any pointers will help. Thanks
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

seems kinda a lot for that many miles... unless it is BONE stock and clean as could be.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy an EVO