Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Is your warranty voided?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Hell they had dealers going out to local tracks and taking the vin #'s from cars that were racing and voiding their warranties out

That is outrageous. I have never heard of a manufacturer (let alone a dealer) going to this extent. Really turns me off about the relationship with .
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Yea it's sad really, granted I haven't heard of these shenanigans since 03-05
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Each area has a Mitsubishi rep. They are usually local and know the area very well. It would not surprise me that they would go to the local track and look for some Evo's making some runs.

Or shoot, Mitsu could always employ someone to drive around the country and do this same thing. It will be cheaper overall to pay someone to do this then to honor warranty work on a car that has been modded or tracked.

Although this would be something difficult to prove....it does not surprise me in the least
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Honestly, why is anyone upset about their warranty getting voided for tracking the car? Why should it be their problem to fix the car if you break it while excessively abusing it? It's the same thing for your car insurance, do you really expect them to cover your damage if you go off the track and smash into a wall?

Mitsubishi has been nothing but fair with me when it comes to warranty coverage; stock and modified.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kracka
Honestly, why is anyone upset about their warranty getting voided for tracking the car? Why should it be their problem to fix the car if you break it while excessively abusing it? It's the same thing for your car insurance, do you really expect them to cover your damage if you go off the track and smash into a wall?

Mitsubishi has been nothing but fair with me when it comes to warranty coverage; stock and modified.
I agree with you. If your car acts up cause of excessive tracking or bad mods then you probably should not have the warranty honored. Thats why mine is stock and driven like a normal car (most of the time)

This is why there is so much heresay with warranty voiding and mods. It will always fluctuate depending on your area.

For example Mitsu has been fair with you with warranty work on stock and modified. My experience was Mitsu originally denied warranty work on my stock car over an issue they sent out a TSB about. It took almost a year to get everything taken care of and almost cost me $1000 out of pocket.

If your really concerned about warranty, I say leave that thing stock until the warranty period has passed. Dont give Mitsu any excuse to deny your work if its a concern.

If you have the money and can work on the cars yourself then I would mod at my hearts content and not even think twice about the warranty.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

I agree with you guys 100% I bought my EVO knowing damn well I would never use the warranty, I would mod it, and always do work myself (though they did replace my wing back in the day )

I wouldn't trust 99% of those monkey techs with my car anyway

But having reps at tracks taking pics, pulling vins etc... Was a little much. I agree you cannot expect a car company to fix your mistakes.

Last edited by gsrboi80; Mar 26, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
But having reps at tracks taking pics, pulling vins etc... Was a little much.
Is it? The rate of crank-walk in the 4G63 was definitely higher for modified DSMs. There are tons of threads on Mitsu-related forums about "putting the car back to stock" before taking the car in to the dealer. In other words, we - as a group - are known to do things that could cost Mitsu a pile of money via fraud. Why is it a bit much for them to protect themselves?

Now, if you had said that Mitsu is being overly-aggressive in comparison to, say, Subaru, then I'd be closer to agreeing. But can you really fault a company for trying to protect itself against fraud? In fact, since Mitsu is a publicly-traded company, they are obligated to their shareholders to do what they're doing.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Is it? The rate of crank-walk in the 4G63 was definitely higher for modified DSMs. There are tons of threads on Mitsu-related forums about "putting the car back to stock" before taking the car in to the dealer. In other words, we - as a group - are known to do things that could cost Mitsu a pile of money via fraud. Why is it a bit much for them to protect themselves?

Now, if you had said that Mitsu is being overly-aggressive in comparison to, say, Subaru, then I'd be closer to agreeing. But can you really fault a company for trying to protect itself against fraud? In fact, since Mitsu is a publicly-traded company, they are obligated to their shareholders to do what they're doing.
Agreed, more aggressive than most all other manufacturers though I'd say.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Every manufacturer is trying to prevent fraudulent warranty claims in one way or another.

Last edited by Kracka; Mar 26, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Every manufacturer is trying to prevent fraudulent warranty claims in one way or another.
Are not a lot of the newer vehicles equipped with so called "black boxes" that record data such as top speed, rpm, engine load, launch control usage, etc...

Probably all the ammo manufacturers would need now no?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Are not a lot of the newer vehicles equipped with so called "black boxes" that record data such as top speed, rpm, engine load, launch control usage, etc...

Probably all the ammo manufacturers would need now no?
Correct. The GTR for example tracks and stores everything for it's entire lifetime. Mitsu has yet to implement that within their ECU's though, not sure about the SST's TCU though.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that in Canada, at least, manufacturers like Subaru are just as strict about warranty issues as Mitsu is. Pretty much any high-performance car that has been modded gets the same treatment. I agree with some of the above posts, tho. If you're going to modify your car so it isn't the way Mitsu engineers intended, why are you annoyed when Mitsu won't cover the parts you broke? Its common sense...

The best part is, (and we're all guilty of this to some degree), most everyone who is going to buy an Evo wouldn't buy one that's been modded, if they could have one that's stock. You know full well that a modded Evo is a questionable purchase decision because you know it's probably been beat up. Given our own aversion to buying a modded Evo, think about what's going thru a Mitsu rep's mind when they're making a decision about covering a warranty issue on a modded car.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
If they said that the entire warranty was void and you believed them.... Ah, forget it. If horses want to die of thirst right next to a stream, who I am to argue?
Well its was Cheeper to just replace the parts with Upgrade and have the BF do the work... especially on what Mitsu calls "wearable parts" (Rotors, Pads, Clutch, etc), but when the T-Case and Drive Shaft Bearings go out that is under the DriveTrain (non Wearable) Warranty and should be covered. But NO, its easier for them to Red Flag your Warranty over an Intake and Exhaust, or blame you as a driver, then pony up and do what they are suppost to "Customer Support"!!!

Some of you have been very lucky with your dealership of choice, but the majority have not!

$3k on a factory POS clutch (instaled by Mitsu)
or
$2k for OS Giken Twin Plate wit Push to Pull Conversion w/ free labor and time to learn more about your cars inner workings and add some supporting mods while your at it!!

$2500 for a new Drive Shaft installed by Mitsu
or
$800 for a AWD 2pc. Aluminum with solid bushings installed for free... like a DS is hard to install any way!!

and best of all...
3k for a New Transfer Case from Mitsu, not including $1500 for Labor.
or
$2500 for a Shep Stage II, with WaveTrac LSD, ISF Treated & Hardened Gears, etc.. free labor (slighly less work than the clutch)

So Yes, the Horse looked at the Water and said, "**** that ****" and turned it into wine! Because there is no arguing with the simple facts that have been around sence 03... Mitsubishi STEALERSHIPs do not support their product or customers!! So **** 'em their factory parts suck anyway!!!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

The vast majority of OEM parts on the Evo, including brakes and clutch, are very quality. Accelerated wear is caused mainly by poor driving style and/or skill. I'm at nearly 35k miles and my stock clutch is holding 411whp perfectly.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeppers. Read up on the P0219 DTC.

Quick Reply: Is your warranty voided?