Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Towing motorcycle with the X?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing motorcycle with the X?

Hey guys a few weeks ago i parted out my X and bought a motorcycle. I have to say that after driving something that hooked up and bringing it back to stock has been an absolute pleasure! it reminds me of how i fell in love with the car in the first place. Anyway i want to start tracking my bike but would like to transport it there on a small trailer. Does anyone have any experience with towing motorcycles with the X? I've searched and haven't really found much on the subject. Any feedback helps guys, what do you think? i would be at cruising speeds. any danger? i mean the bike weighs about 375lb DRY (no oil&fuel) Thats easily the weight of the car with full passengers...

This is what im looking to trail it with...
http://trailerinabag.com/index.html

AMS seems to have pulled it off...

Last edited by GTbullet; Mar 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone have pics of their Evo with a trailor hitch attached? I was curious if this could even be done.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:35 AM

i searched and found a thread but pics were gone/expired.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

I wasnt sure if this was possible with the air dampener and all. I want to attach a hitch for a small trailer to my car. I traded in my Outlander Sport for my Evo. But the Outlander Sport was perfect for when we went camping. But if I could attach a trailer then problem solved
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...their-evo.html
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That thread is about pre-Xs and is chock full of stoopid, so let't not send the OP over there, OK?

Yes, you can put a hitch on an X and tow a small trailer. The key is to stay off the go pedal when turning. You do not want the AYC to engage when towing.

Oh, it goes without saying that this is a drivetrain warranty killer, right? But so is racing, so if the hitch is for a tire-trailer, it doesn't matter, eh?

There's one vendor (that I don't like, so no linky from me) who sells a hitch for the X (that doesn't work with an OE exhaust). Or you can build one form scratch: e.g., http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22668
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
That thread is about pre-Xs and is chock full of stoopid, so let't not send the OP over there, OK?

Yes, you can put a hitch on an X and tow a small trailer. The key is to stay off the go pedal when turning. You do not want the AYC to engage when towing.

Oh, it goes without saying that this is a drivetrain warranty killer, right? But so is racing, so if the hitch is for a tire-trailer, it doesn't matter, eh?

There's one vendor (that I don't like, so no linky from me) who sells a hitch for the X (that doesn't work with an OE exhaust). Or you can build one form scratch: e.g., http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22668
thanks bud that helps a lot!
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Get a truck just to be safe
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alpha X
Get a truck just to be safe
This is one of the stupid comments that is in the previous thread. If someone could buy another car, would they be here asking?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

Sometime I'm at the bike trackday and I see civic towing a motorcycle in.So i think you will be ok.

Last edited by speedytl; Mar 31, 2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by speedytl
Sometime I'm at the bike trackday and I see civic towing a motorcycle in.So i think you will be ok.
This isn't a completely ridiculous comment, so I'll respond.

The issue for us is the AYC. If the AYC kicks in and tries to rotate the car, but you have a trailer hanging off the butt, you will have issues.

There are very few (if any ) AWD Honda Civics with an AYC, making the fact that they can tow things without issues irrelevant.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:23 AM
Account Disabled

If you turn your Traction Control to "OFF OFF" then the Ayc is off isnt it? just tow the car in OFF OFF mode.. ?

I thought about doing a small tire trailer type thing for track days. but it's just not in the budget right now.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bowrepublik
If you turn your Traction Control to "OFF OFF" then the Ayc is off isnt it?
No, it isn't.

Off-off only turns off the rear-wheel, single-wheel braking to help the AYC. No button pressed for any number of times or held for any length of time will turn off the AYC.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

I know someone who towed a sport bike for track days in an Evo VIII. It was a custom built hitch and it worked well for about two years. The result was ruined suspension and warped break rotors in the Evo.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

And you can trace this damage to the hitch ... how?

Quick Reply: Towing motorcycle with the X?