Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

boost gauge installed... leak?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 04:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1) what size coupler do i need to get to build a tester? i found a guide for evo 8/9, but i wasn't sure if 1.5-2" coupler is big enough to fit the compressor inlet elbow on the X. i figured i'd ask before tearing apart my intake to measure.

2) i checked my relay/fuse box... and it looks like i have green relays (see attached pic)
according to this post below, i should swap the green ones for blue ones? thoughts?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...y-package.html
Attached Thumbnails boost gauge installed... leak?-img_0282_thumb.jpg  
Old Apr 2, 2012, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pgpunkguy
1) what size coupler do i need to get to build a tester? i found a guide for evo 8/9, but i wasn't sure if 1.5-2" coupler is big enough to fit the compressor inlet elbow on the X. i figured i'd ask before tearing apart my intake to measure.

2) i checked my relay/fuse box... and it looks like i have green relays (see attached pic)
according to this post below, i should swap the green ones for blue ones? thoughts?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...y-package.html

Epic fail here. Look at the picture again. You have a black relay which is the newest version (newer than the blue one) It is not the same black relay as previous evo had. Didnt you read my previous post?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 04:18 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by alex the great
Epic fail here. Look at the picture again. You have a black relay which is the newest version (newer than the blue one) It is not the same black relay as previous evo had. Didnt you read my previous post?
yeah, i did real your previous post... in my last post i wasn't asking about the black relays, i was asking about the green ones... i realize the fuel pump relay is the newer black one (as you told me earlier).

according to the link i posted in my last post, they are starter, fuel injector, and throttle actuator relays...
Old Apr 3, 2012, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your relays are ok. If you want, buy SSPs and then you'll have a spare.

Is the car tuned or stock? What's the temp outside when you are doing your pulls? Does the car run ok, pull hard to red line, etc? My understanding is that the ecu will manage the amount of boost, timing, afr etc necessary to generate a certain amount of torque and power and so you could, if not tuned otherwise, be hitting those power targets without the car needing to add more boost. This can be especially true when it is cool outside.

That said, it well could be a very small leak at your T or the gauge causing a low reading by a few psi but not enough to cause you to feel it while driving.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 03:48 PM
Account Disabled

so off-hand, does anyone know the answer?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 03:13 AM
Evolving Member

yeah, i did real your previous post... in my last post i wasn't asking about the black relays, i was asking about the green ones... i realize the fuel pump relay is the newer black one (as you told me earlier).

according to the link i posted in my last post, they are starter, fuel injector, and throttle actuator relays...
Oh haha epic fail by me! Your green relays should be ok!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 06:23 PM

do all 2011 gsr's come with the upgraded black ones? mine came with a black one so i changed it to blue, i originally had bad start ups, and havent had a problem starting since i changed it to blue..
Old Apr 4, 2012, 06:26 PM
Account Disabled

i've had trouble starting my car a handful of times... maybe my black relay is still bad? i took a couple of the black ones out and shook them, and they rattled... not sure if that's an indication that they may be going bad or not...
Old Apr 5, 2012, 01:57 AM
Evolving Member

i've had trouble starting my car a handful of times... maybe my black relay is still bad? i took a couple of the black ones out and shook them, and they rattled... not sure if that's an indication that they may be going bad or not...
Yea Ive read a few times that to test the relay you have to shake it and if it ratles, the relay is going bad.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Swap the fuel relay with another one of the same size (headlight?) and see if the car runs properly. As I posted before, just order a back up set from SSP and then you can switch them out as needed.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by alex the great
That seems a little weird! What altitude are you at?
Dude, after reading through these posts and I stumbled upon your quote. Laughed SOOOO hard.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 09:35 PM

wondering the new t-bolt clamp kit work.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 12:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by samshowerman
Dude, after reading through these posts and I stumbled upon your quote. Laughed SOOOO hard.
Im confused lol
Old Apr 8, 2012, 04:39 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by LanEvoX
wondering the new t-bolt clamp kit work.
yeah, seems to be good now...
Old Apr 8, 2012, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Seems to be good? Does that mean you identified the boost leak to be the T clamp you used for your gauge install? It might be helpful, for the next guy, that you complete the post a bit with some details on what you learned. Did you replace the relays? Were any bad, or was it just your install that caused the leak?

The next guy searching with the same problem will benefit if you flesh out the conclusion a bit.

Quick Reply: boost gauge installed... leak?