Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

11 or 12 Evo GTR/MR vs BMW 328i (xdrive)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
no offense but i think those are one of the most horrible looking bastards on the road. i cant believe BMW did that.. sorry
I got to watch one of those hit a wall right in front of me at the track a couple of years back, it almost looked cooler smashed.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 07:20 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
no offense but i think those are one of the most horrible looking bastards on the road. i cant believe BMW did that.. sorry
Never said it was pretty, but it is fun.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/30/2...w-335i-review/
Old Apr 4, 2012, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Never said it was pretty, but it is fun.
i believe that.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

don't even consider anything less than a 335i

Last edited by BlazinVIII; Apr 4, 2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

i think M3 or the M1 would be my only choice from BMW unless they will give me an M6

hmmmm M1....

That's an 1M, not a M1. It's not truly an M series. I drove the 328 while car shopping for the gf, and I would take my Ralliart over it. That's how boring that car was. Get a used 335, it will be in your price range.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Between my ex and I we have had many different model BMW and for me the Evo is just so much more fun to drive. Maybe because I have owned BMW and the Evo is different, but I don't think I would take a BMW over my Evo. And I said this before, in my 5 mile drive to work I bet (I will count tomorrow) I see 15 plus BMW's and not one Evo. I maybe see one Evo every few weeks in my normal driving. Not that it matters to others, but I like having something that isn't everywhere I turn. I have never really had anybody stare at my BMW's but the Evo gets some looks, especially from the front. Mostly from guys Unfortunatly but at least someone is paying attention to me. Oh and I even got flipped off from a passanger of a passing car for no reason the ther night as well. They say even bad attention is good, right?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:32 PM

Do you want a car that attracts a bunch of guys or girls?
Evo = dude magnet
BMW 3series = chick magnet

Only real question you can decide on because the 2 cars in question aren't even in the same class.
A performance oriented tuner car vs an euro entry level luxury sedan.

Last edited by jdm sam; Apr 4, 2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jdm sam
Do you want a car that attracts a bunch of guys or girls?
Evo = dude magnet
BMW 3series = chick magnet

Only real question you can decide on because the 2 cars in question aren't even in the same class.
A performance oriented tuner car vs an euro entry level luxury sedan.
LOL what?

Is that why people buy cars nowadays?

To the OP, have you test driven one? I think people post these questions sometimes just for the fun of it... I have yet to see any of these people come back after starting a "vs" thread saying "ok I got X car, or I got the Evo..." and MOST people I know who bought an Evo either in here or out in the real world didn't have to post a "vs" thread or to ask a bunch of people which car was "best for them"

Cmon guys seriously... this sht is getting ridiculous now... get ur butt up and go test drive them then make up your mind... just know that a pedestrian BMW 328i cannot be compared to a high-performance sedan (Lancer Evolution X)

kill thread... with fire!
Old Apr 5, 2012, 07:18 AM

Jazket, I will level with you, and with all of you for that matter--thank you for prompting me to be real:

I'm graduating college and my Dad is getting me a new car for a graduation present. Before any of you can flame me let me just say:

-I know it's annoying when kids get stuff from their parents
-If you bought your car with money you worked hard for, you deserve it more than i do, and i really respect that commitment a lot
-I'm just a normal person and when someone offers something to me that is appealing I obviously want to accept it

The only problem is, he said I can get any car with four wheel drive, so I told him I want to get the Evo MR- I sent him a long email and he said okay.

All of a sudden he is switching it up on me saying he really wants me to get either an Audi or a BMW because it is "more reliable" and "made better"

My mind is made up, I want the EVO not the 328i, I'm just looking for ammo against his arguments that the 328i is a better car. At the end of the day, it's the car I will be driving and not him, so beyond that argument I need something else to say to convince him. Any help you guys can give would be very much appreciated, but I also totally understand if I am annoying you and you can just ignore me.

have a nice day
Old Apr 5, 2012, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Flavio77
Jazket, I will level with you, and with all of you for that matter--thank you for prompting me to be real:

I'm graduating college and my Dad is getting me a new car for a graduation present. Before any of you can flame me let me just say:

-If you bought your car with money you worked hard for, you deserve it more than i do, and i really respect that commitment a lot
-I'm just a normal person and when someone offers something to me that is appealing I obviously want to accept it

The only problem is, he said I can get any car with four wheel drive, so I told him I want to get the Evo MR- I sent him a long email and he said okay.

All of a sudden he is switching it up on me saying he really wants me to get either an Audi or a BMW because it is "more reliable" and "made better"

My mind is made up, I want the EVO not the 328i, I'm just looking for ammo against his arguments that the 328i is a better car. At the end of the day, it's the car I will be driving and not him, so beyond that argument I need something else to say to convince him. Any help you guys can give would be very much appreciated, but I also totally understand if I am annoying you and you can just ignore me.

have a nice day
Pretty lucky... I wish I had that chance. I am hoping to be able to afford an Evo before they take a turn for the worse, and I graduated college over a year ago, and have a job as an engineer, and I still can't afford it.

As for your argument, point out the issues that Audis have tended to have (even though they have gotten better) and tell them that the only serious issues with reliability for the Evo is when people mod them and don't do things correctly.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Your dad is correct. The odds of him having to throw more money at the car after buying it for you is higher for the Evo than a TT or x-Drive. In your position, I'd see if he'd go for a TTS.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BlazinVIII
don't even consider anything less than a 335i
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Volks look really strange on a BMW...?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Flavio77

have a nice day
Oh wow... well then, you could have posted THIS from the beginning! See, this turns your original post into something other than just a "This vs This" thread.

Well first off, people who's always saying "oh daddy's boy got a new car" are just jealous, simply put. I'm sure as hell's non-existence that everyone in their teen years wished their dad bought them a brand new car, but only a few ever had the luxury.

Heck, I'm sure I'll want to buy my son a brand new car in the future if he shows me he deserves it... kinda like making him "earn it" It's all the same as me buying mine with hard earned cash, as it is your dad buying you one if he had you bust your *** to get good grades for example!

In that case, he's the one buying it but he also has to take into consideration who's going to drive the car. You should sit down with him and show him some of the many review videos on YouTube from any of these car magazines, because he probably doesn't even know the brand or as many people out there think that Mitsubishis are unreliable

Let him know that neither of those cars are "made better" than an Evo X cause they're not put through nearly half the abuse an Evo goes thru in its lifetime

I've driven Audi A4s and TTs... never any of the RS or S series nor an R8, but omg, the ones I did get to drive were the most boring cars I've ever been on!!!

I've never been on pedestrian BMWs either, but I've driven 335is and M3s... M3 is irrelevant cause it's not what you or your dad are looking for, but the 335i... well, I just didn't think of any reason to have it over my Evo, other than the more refined interior :\

To put it this way, if your dad "gives you" a 335i, everyone's going to think you're rich daddy's boy ha! If he gives you an Evo X, only your friends will care about your car (either love it or talk amounts of nonsensical sht about it) and your girlfriend may notice it one day and think it's cute (maybe) and any other 335i punk (yes, most around my area are punks/high-class wannabes) will want to race you on the highway

Take ur dad to the dealership and have him drive all 3 cars... I'm aware that a simple test drive on an Evo makes anyone a believer

Last edited by jazket; Apr 5, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well tell him you want the Evo and that's it. If he says no and wants to get you a BMW or Audi then I guess you dont have much choice because he is buying it and not you. If it was free I would take any of the cars and be thankful for it.

Quick Reply: 11 or 12 Evo GTR/MR vs BMW 328i (xdrive)