Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Practical for work evo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Practical for work evo?

I'm getting a new car and will be doing alot of driving for work and im not sure if I should get the mr or gsr it will also be my dd and weekend car for fun I'm just not sure if the manual transmission or paddle shifters are more suitable for me
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:02 AM

I think that mostly depends on you're taste, I would test drive both and see what you like more.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:21 AM

I had the MR initially but I missed the manual feeling of my previous car (Lancer ES) so I switched to GSR. MR was fun but SST was just not enough fun for me :/ shifting is just so much fun!!
Old Apr 9, 2012, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

yea test drive both and see what you could see yourself driving daily. although for me, when i was deciding, there was no question i wanted a traditional 5 speed and havent looked back since.. plus the mr was too expensive for me lol
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:04 AM

i drove the gsr before just not the mr yet i loved the gsr but not sure my feeling on paddle shifters
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

I would go with GSR. Something about having absolute control. Also save the manuals! To many auto makers have all auto. It's a good cause! But nah test drive both like everyone said.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on what kind of driving...if it were city driving and heavy traffic type of stuff I would prefer an auto. I drive a GSR but I only commute to work a couple times a week and don't see very much traffic but those days when I'm in stop and go traffic I long for the the wife's bmw which is an auto. I'm and old 33yr old dude so my weary bones get tired from the constant depressing of the clutch in heavy traffic.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

How far is your commute and how much traffic?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say depends on how much stop and going driving you are doing. I was commuting into philly for a while and had to drive around to different projects for work and it sucked being in stop and go traffic for hours on end. It was times like that when I wished I had the Mr but I wouldn't trade the feeling of being able to shift through the gears for anything.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

As everybody else said, it's personal choice, I went with the GSR and never looked back. I am 42 and I drive in traffic. Nothing that comes easy is worth having. The pain in your left leg during the work week well turn to pleasure on the weekend when you are driving for fun.

I am exaggerating a little. The Evo clutch seems pretty light to me.

And as somebody else already said, SAVE THE MANUALS! It should be the 11th Commandment, "Thou shall not create a sport car that shifts for you"

That being said, the Evo Auto trans is not the average auto. It's pretty damn amazing. Just lacks the involvement.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
As everybody else said, it's personal choice, I went with the GSR and never looked back. I am 42 and I drive in traffic. Nothing that comes easy is worth having. The pain in your left leg during the work week well turn to pleasure on the weekend when you are driving for fun.

I am exaggerating a little. The Evo clutch seems pretty light to me.

And as somebody else already said, SAVE THE MANUALS! It should be the 11th Commandment, "Thou shall not create a sport car that shifts for you"

That being said, the Evo Auto trans is not the average auto. It's pretty damn amazing. Just lacks the involvement.
This! haha +1
Old Apr 9, 2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by EvoStig
How far is your commute and how much traffic?
Im a sales rep for a large company and all of my stops are grocery stores so it's alot of city driving I drive stick now and it gets a little tiring but I also love the downshift and go effect that I'm sure I wouldn't feel in the mr