Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

evo x pros and cons.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pros: It handles extremely well, looks menacing, doesnt take a lot of cash to get decent power out of, seats are comfortable, back seats have a suprising amount of room for a car of this size
Cons: It's a Mitsubishi, the transmission can be notchy, the nav package is a waste of money (considering units costing 1000 bucks offer more POI's, HD radio, sound quality, etc), rock chips the paint easily, the trunk is a joke

For me, the pros easily outweigh the cons as the car is an absolute blast to drive
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Funny, I am starting to get the hate as well. Been flipped off twice for no reason.I never even left my lane so there was never a chance for me to cut them off. They just drove by and stuck the middle finger out of the passenger window. Actually a third time a guy in a Mercedes I guess didn't like the speed I took the off ramp, it wasn't too crazy, he was on the inside lane and I was on the outside lane and I went by. At the light him and his girl where PISSED. Screaming at me, flipping me off. LOL I didn't know what to do but laugh. I didn't do anything to them. Didn't cut them off or even come close to them.

As far as the radio. Come on guys, too much talk of the radio. Did we really buy the car to BOOM? I haven't turned my radio on since I installed my ETS intake. I just listen to it. The Nav radio isn't that bad, unless of course you want to BOOM and compete in a sound contest.

Originally Posted by jazket
To help with erniebu's pro/cons list:

You either get the Rockford Fosgate system or you'll hate the Evo stock headunit to death... Rattles do get annoying as heck (specially early AM when you drive it to work, since its still cold and the interior plastic loves to squeak until the sun warms it up a little) and that's one more reason why you need the RF system

The oem NAVI, cubbies and leather upgrades makes the interior look much better though... road noise, well, its not a luxury boat so be ready to hear lots and lots of road noise anywhere past 70mph

You'll also get in a heap of trouble with random hating punks on the street... just bcuz they're jealous of ur car. I've had to deal with a lot of road rage and, unfortunately, I 'm not the "keep your cool" type so I respond with more rage and the fact that I could've outran all those who came at me with some BS...

Other than that, the car looks great; when people's not hating on it, they're drooling over it; its fast and can be made much faster; upgrades are really not that expensive; if you're a car dude you'll love every moment you're not at a stop light or in a traffic jam, ha!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
As far as the radio. Come on guys, too much talk of the radio. Did we really buy the car to BOOM? I haven't turned my radio on since I installed my ETS intake. I just listen to it. The Nav radio isn't that bad, unless of course you want to BOOM and compete in a sound contest.
Not at all. I'm happy with it but its not the best out there. BUT then again I didn't buy this car for that.

As for the original post, just know what type of car you want to get. If you want a luxury type of car (smooth, low road noise, leather all over and such), the EVO is not for you. The EVO can be a DD and many use it like that with no issues. But if you mod it and get rid of the cat and put an aftermarket clutch, driving in traffic might be a PITA (as some complain). I personally don't mind it. I LOVE MY EVO and I love to drive it anywhere and everywhere.

I work overseas and when I go home one of the first things I do is take my car out for a drive. It never fails to put a smile on my face.

But like anything you'll get people who hate the EVO X and regret buying one. Just research the heck out of it and I'm sure you'll make the right choice.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:28 PM

i mean I'm very use to performance cars, thats all I've ever had... I've had staged clutches and all that I'm just really looking to know if there are any major issues that are common on the evo X i have a 2004 VW R32 I'm trading in for it.. just want to make sure I'm not downgrading.
Because i know the older evos were knows for having tranny and transfer case issues.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

No problems that wouldn't make it 100% worth trading UP to an Evo. The engine is amazing, the S-AWD is amazing. And another benefit is you will finally be driving a man's car! Ok, just a joke on the last one. At least for the purpose of this thread.

I'm not sure what "having problems" means really. Any car can have a problem. Doesn't mean yours will. Range Rovers were known for having problems with the air suspension. I put 80k miles on mine before I started to see that problem and it wasn't that bad and I expect some problems at 80k miles.

The Evo is a great car and superior is every way to the VW IMO. At least in every way that matters to me. You have a great group here and you don't see many "I hate this car, what a mistake" posts. Most, if not all the reviews on YouTube praise the Evo.

Pull the trigger, step up to an Evo. (I absolutly hate those Ford commercial) nobody with an IQ above 50 "steps up to a Ford" from a BMW, Rover or Mercedes. Nobody looks at your bright green Fiesta while sitting at the light and gets jealous, Ugg )

Originally Posted by corbzin
i mean I'm very use to performance cars, thats all I've ever had... I've had staged clutches and all that I'm just really looking to know if there are any major issues that are common on the evo X i have a 2004 VW R32 I'm trading in for it.. just want to make sure I'm not downgrading.
Because i know the older evos were knows for having tranny and transfer case issues.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

The only real drive train issues with 8's and 9's came from significant modifications, cars making big horsepower over long periods of time. From the R32 your making a downgrade in luxury and doubling performance. Buy this car if you want to have fun driving, not if you want to have comfort or save on gas.

This is not a German car! I came from an Audi S4, it was fun to drive but nowhere near as pleasurable as the Evo. I've had both an 8 and now the X. After the 8 I tried to go back to an Audi, it didn't work hence the X.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:32 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thegoodservant
The only real drive train issues with 8's and 9's came from significant modifications, cars making big horsepower over long periods of time.
Yes. That and owners who abused the cars in a manner not frequently encountered. Heh, the R32 community couldn't even imagine the scope. Sure, some transmissions and TCs failed after installing a multi-puck clutch and dropping it at 7K on cars making 2-3 times their factory power launched et infinitum by folks whose automotive orientation can only be referred to as (err...) convenient. "i know the older ones use to have a lot of transfer case issues." How frustrating. Hell, STM's +800whp (MD) 9sec car runs a stock gearbox.

Last edited by FJF; Apr 11, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:10 AM

Alright great!! appreciate all your help guys, I can't wait to pick up my evo X and yeah the VW is nice ill miss the heated seats and sunroof but I'm sure the evo has many other features to make up for that....
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:26 AM
Evolving Member

at 40k miles i would get ready to change out the clutch soon if it hasn't been done already, but other then that its a awsome car.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:01 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Alright great!! appreciate all your help guys, I can't wait to pick up my evo X and yeah the VW is nice ill miss the heated seats and sunroof but I'm sure the evo has many other features to make up for that....
The Evo's "feature" is its performance envelope. It's not a bells and whistles platform.

BTW, is this your R32?

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28544

Last edited by FJF; Apr 12, 2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TrogdorWBL
Generally speaking, timing chains never have to be replaced. They're not like a timing belt. That leads me to believe the car was abused in some way, or that the original chain was faulty. If it was just a bad chain, that it would be covered under warranty (assuming there was one at the time) and you shouldn't be concerned.

Mitsubishis are NOTORIOUS for having trouble with their lifters going out around 150,000 miles. They're plastic and eventually stop fitting right, so they make this clicking noise. The good news is that any Mitsubishi dealer will have a tool to replace these without having to take the chain off!
The timing chain is a known issues on the 2008-2011 X's. Not on all of them but some. Apparently there was a bad batch of chains released from the factory. It was not an issue caused by abuse although I am sure constant abuse lead to an increased rate of replacement of the chain.

Pros: Any car that can compare to the Evo will cost you over 80gs
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

LOL that thing is low.

Originally Posted by FJF
The Evo's "feature" is its performance envelope. It's not a bells and whistles platform.

BTW, is this your R32?

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28544
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:38 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
LOL that thing is low.
The description in the ad says, "Car will completely lay frame." OP, what are your plans for the Evo?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jeffo24
PROS: It's an EVO
CONS: It's a mitsubishi
so true!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I agree with pretty much all the comments here.

PROS: Blast to drive, pretty easy to make fast, reliable unless you beat the hell out of it or skip maintainance, tons of aftermarket stuff available, cool community, Looks great (although that is subjective).

CONS: Expensive to maintain, customer service at most dealerships suck, paint is REALLY thin and chips like crazy, the trunk- or the lack there of, not the quietest car due to road noise if you are concerned about it..

All in all, to me, the pros WWAAAAAYYYY outwiegh any of the cons. Of course it is expensive to maintain- Its a performance car! The paint does suck, although most new cars do since all manufacturers and trying to lower production costs. And the gas gets expensive, but it is worth it to me. It is an amazing machine to say the least.

Quick Reply: evo x pros and cons.