Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

evo x pros and cons.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo x pros and cons.

Hey guys, Im sure this a commonly asked question.
But I'm about to pick up a 2010 GSR and just wondering what are some common problems with them? What are a few things i should look for on the car before purchasing?

I know he said the timing chain was replaced, which concerns me because the car only has 40,000 miles on it.

any info you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let search be your friend.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:07 AM

I was doing it off my phone. It's kinda hard to search since there's no iPhone app for this site.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

I personally haven't had many issues that couldn't be taken care with ease. Just regular maintainance is what info I can offer you.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

All I can say is don't get on it before you know if the car has a safe tune on it. It is also good practice to change the oil the minute you get it regardless of if the last owner said it was good.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Pros - A very good looking car, doesn't take much to make it look even better. The seats are comfy (and I think the interior is better looking than an STi), doesn't take much to make more power. Its a fun weekend car. Keeps is valve well.

Cons - RATTLES LIKE A CAN FULL OF BEE's in the winter, in the summer not so much. Maintenance can be pricey on a few items. Sound system sucks. Is there a trunk in the car? Depending on the upgrades you make to it, this car might not be the best daily driver.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Problem is peoples pros and cons will be very different. For example erniebu's pros. I feel the X is way uglier than previous models and the interior is hideous.

So most you are going to get here is a crap load of opinion
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Yea, asking opinions you will get opinion. One guy says not a daily driver, I have owned mine for 2 months and put 6000 miles on it. I love to drive it. I will be bored late at night on the weekend and take a cruise down PCH. Mine doesn't rattle. But where I am summer and winter are pretty close to the same. I personally think the X is much nicer than the 8 and 9. They seem less aggressive looking, especially from the front. I come from BMW and Rover and I don't think the interior is horrible. It isn't good and it isn't bad. It's just an interior. Which you aren't buying the car for anyways. My sound system is decent, I have the Navi which I love because it gives traffic.

As far as problems common to the car. Mine is too new to know, but as with most cars, some people are unlucky and get one with problems and some get them with no problems. I would buy new if you could afford it, that way you know what it has been through. But if you can't, you will just have to go off common sense in regards to the condition.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
Yea, asking opinions you will get opinion. One guy says not a daily driver, I have owned mine for 2 months and put 6000 miles on it. I love to drive it. I will be bored late at night on the weekend and take a cruise down PCH. Mine doesn't rattle. But where I am summer and winter are pretty close to the same. I personally think the X is much nicer than the 8 and 9. They seem less aggressive looking, especially from the front. I come from BMW and Rover and I don't think the interior is horrible. It isn't good and it isn't bad. It's just an interior. Which you aren't buying the car for anyways. My sound system is decent, I have the Navi which I love because it gives traffic.

As far as problems common to the car. Mine is too new to know, but as with most cars, some people are unlucky and get one with problems and some get them with no problems. I would buy new if you could afford it, that way you know what it has been through. But if you can't, you will just have to go off common sense in regards to the condition.
I have an 08 that I use as a DD and I guess I'm fortunate to not have any serious issues. Also, my sound system is pretty good, but I also have to upgraded sound package.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

PROS: It's an EVO
CONS: It's a mitsubishi
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by erniebu
Pros - A very good looking car, doesn't take much to make it look even better. The seats are comfy (and I think the interior is better looking than an STi), doesn't take much to make more power. Its a fun weekend car. Keeps is valve well.

Cons - RATTLES LIKE A CAN FULL OF BEE's in the winter, in the summer not so much. Maintenance can be pricey on a few items. Sound system sucks. Is there a trunk in the car? Depending on the upgrades you make to it, this car might not be the best daily driver.
To help with erniebu's pro/cons list:

You either get the Rockford Fosgate system or you'll hate the Evo stock headunit to death... Rattles do get annoying as heck (specially early AM when you drive it to work, since its still cold and the interior plastic loves to squeak until the sun warms it up a little) and that's one more reason why you need the RF system

The oem NAVI, cubbies and leather upgrades makes the interior look much better though... road noise, well, its not a luxury boat so be ready to hear lots and lots of road noise anywhere past 70mph

You'll also get in a heap of trouble with random hating punks on the street... just bcuz they're jealous of ur car. I've had to deal with a lot of road rage and, unfortunately, I 'm not the "keep your cool" type so I respond with more rage and the fact that I could've outran all those who came at me with some BS...

Other than that, the car looks great; when people's not hating on it, they're drooling over it; its fast and can be made much faster; upgrades are really not that expensive; if you're a car dude you'll love every moment you're not at a stop light or in a traffic jam, ha!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:37 PM

alright awesome! i know the older ones use to have a lot of transfer case issues... have these been fixed on the eve x or do they still occur?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by erniebu

LMAO, I'm a bigger guy and I am happily suffering with these tight seats. The VIII was much more friendlier
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by corbzin
Hey guys, Im sure this a commonly asked question.
But I'm about to pick up a 2010 GSR and just wondering what are some common problems with them? What are a few things i should look for on the car before purchasing?

I know he said the timing chain was replaced, which concerns me because the car only has 40,000 miles on it.

any info you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Generally speaking, timing chains never have to be replaced. They're not like a timing belt. That leads me to believe the car was abused in some way, or that the original chain was faulty. If it was just a bad chain, that it would be covered under warranty (assuming there was one at the time) and you shouldn't be concerned.

Mitsubishis are NOTORIOUS for having trouble with their lifters going out around 150,000 miles. They're plastic and eventually stop fitting right, so they make this clicking noise. The good news is that any Mitsubishi dealer will have a tool to replace these without having to take the chain off!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lemacfar
LThe VIII was much more friendlier
As long as you didn't crash one and want to live.

Quick Reply: evo x pros and cons.