Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Swapping Cloth to Leather....?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapping Cloth to Leather....?

1st is it possible? 2nd is there any wiring that would need to be swapped? I have a 2011 With the cloth recaros and eventually im hoping to find someone who is trading in there car with leather....Do the SE's have this option also? Of course id throw cash on my end just seeing if anyone has done this.

-Hector
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

Mitsubishi has their "Mitsubishi Certified Leather" program. It's $1500 for leather and heated seats, $1200 for just the leather. Front and rear seats. It's from the factory, it fits the recaros, and doesn't interfere with the side air bags.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by TrogdorWBL
Mitsubishi has their "Mitsubishi Certified Leather" program. It's $1500 for leather and heated seats, $1200 for just the leather. Front and rear seats. It's from the factory, it fits the recaros, and doesn't interfere with the side air bags.
this isnt how there normal leather seats are produced is it? Also i was thinking stock seats + 400-500 would be fair.....which is 600+$ difference than what u quoted.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ApexSilverBeast
this isnt how there normal leather seats are produced is it? Also i was thinking stock seats + 400-500 would be fair.....which is 600+$ difference than what u quoted.
Yep, this is how all mitsus, except the eclipse and the galant get leather in them (those are made in Illinois). So you're alo looking to swap out the recaros for the regular Lancer seats? Even the non-recaro's are the same way. They all come standard with cloth. If you get leather, its installed after the fact. If its at a dealer with leather its a kit put on post production.

Last edited by TrogdorWBL; Apr 11, 2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:24 AM

No, this is not how the stock leather Evo X seats are made. Those come from Japan with leather. The Certified Mitsubishi Leather program just takes your cloth Recaros and re-upholsters them with leather. You don't get to keep the Recaro stitching on the seats either. They don't own the rights to the name. However, if you pay extra you can do two tone leather and add your own custom stitching to the seats. The program goes through an authorized company, usually Roadwire or Classic Soft Trim. I know this because the Classic Soft Trim guy is in my driveway as I type this re-installing my leather added Recaros as I type this.

Last edited by Scratchy; Apr 12, 2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Scheides got his done; it is not the same leather as the MR-Touring and GSR SS+SL.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

I personally wouldn't give up my leather (S&L package). I think you'd be better off finding a totalled Evo that had the leather to buy it salvage and strip it from there
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Is it possible to get the leather heated seats and door trim without the sunroof?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by scarryy
Is it possible to get the leather heated seats and door trim without the sunroof?
As I understand, you can't get it from the factory like that. But you can go with the Mitsubishi Certified Leather program and get leather that way. The leather isn't the same as the factory leather. The leather from the Certified Leather program is actually textured like the leather on the door trim on the 2012. People say the leather actually looks to be of a bit better quality. I personally think the texture actually make you slide around the seats less
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scarryy

Yes, but not the top-grain leather like the S&L has, you'd have to get the suede leather from the MR, but it's still heated.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

And I don't know aobut you guys but finding an salvaged Evo is the needle in a hay stack around here.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did it for less than a $1000 bucks https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...h-leather.html
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:30 PM

Thanks for that link, I will consider going that route, would be sweet if they still kept the recaro logo though.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

I think the leather that classic does is actually nicer than the OEM leather.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for that link, I will consider going that route, would be sweet if they still kept the recaro logo though.
You can always go look for junkyard MRs and buy those seat... my cloth seats are worn also.. but I'm going to just buy 2 aftermarket seats... someday

Quick Reply: Swapping Cloth to Leather....?