Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Turbo whine? air leak? Am I crazy? fml

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2012, 12:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2snail
Alex,

I took it to the dealer here and the supposed evo tech told me a similar story "that is normal for a turbo car" and he said he knows because he owns a ralliart.

I called corporate mitsubishi and complained because I had scheduled an appointed 3-5 days in advance and I had a second shop confirm it was the turbo, when i got to the dealer they told me i wasnt in the system for an appointment.

You need to try another dealer, some of them are lazy or do not really know much about the evo. After calling corporate they assigned me a case number and followed up and made it a point to know which dealer i was taking it to so they could notify the service manager to take care of my situation.

Regarding mechanical issues, i didnt notice any major issues, apart from a really noisy wooooo noise especially when its cold. I have a third party warranty though costco and they wouldnt cover the turbo because mitsu has a factory warranty in place up to 60k miles as its part of the powertrain/exhaust

Also if they try to tell you that its normal, try to get the service guy to ride with you in a new evo on their lot to show them that there IS a difference in the noise.

The corporate rep told me to do this as a followup to the dealer who said it was normal. They said if it makes the same noise on a new car then its normal if it doesnt then it means it needs to be worked on.
Thanks for all your help! I think Im gonna be calling them pretty sure! Im in a weird spot now tho. Took the car to a shop and they checked the turbo and they said it had minimal or normal turbo shaft play and nothing in and out and then they did a boost leak test and found one where the licp meets the intercooler so I was all happy my car was fixed and as soon as I start driving, guess what, the noise was still there. I pretty much gave up on life haha so Im gonna email the shop and see what happenes
Old May 5, 2012, 12:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I call shenanigans about it being a death whine. Don't borrow trouble and panic needlessly. Mine has been doing it through two turbos and 30k, never have overspun either or run anything more than 93 octane. Also never had a failure yet.

The dealer definitely isn't replacing my aftermarket turbo, lol.
After taking it to the shop and them fixing a leak and checking the turbo and the noise still in my car, Im leaning towards just installing my parts and ignore the noise. I don't even know what to worry for anymore
Old May 7, 2012, 05:50 AM

when I had mine checked by the dealer they checked it for shaft play, but there was minimal like yours. It was just making a lot of noise.

It will probably be fine for now just annoying noise. Still keep an eye on it in the future.

I just found out I have an oil leak, because the dealer failed to install the turbo feed line bolt correctly.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's mine:

sounds exactly like the rest of yours, perhaps a little quieter, I swear I was swivelling my head like a freak. Just got my car back from some routine maintenance and a new brake booster and heard this for the first time. I've had this turbo for some time now.

so none of these turbos has grenaded yet?

I guess, I'll just cross my fingers and pray.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by wjamyers
Here's mine:

http://youtu.be/6sMOE1ax8Iw

sounds exactly like the rest of yours, perhaps a little quieter, I swear I was swivelling my head like a freak. Just got my car back from some routine maintenance and a new brake booster and heard this for the first time. I've had this turbo for some time now.

so none of these turbos has grenaded yet?

I guess, I'll just cross my fingers and pray.
Mine sounds like that, but mine also has a nasty downpipe leak. I started hearing it a little after the dp install but a few autocross events worked it loose and I can practically take flat head screw driver and push it in the gap between the downpipe and o2 housing. A little whine is normal imo, but a lot of turbo noise was a clear indicator that something was wrong for me.

Also shielding and coating will deaden the sound more so if you replaced the stock setup, but didn't add ceramic coating or a better shield then the standard turbo noises will be more noticeable.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

may want to get a boost leak check but lets be serious, its a metal part spinning at thousands of rpms and nothing is ever fully balanced. even tiny defects have an effect at those speeds, especially when lubrication isnt fully provided (cold car)
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:12 AM

Here's mine:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=3655018567524
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by realgeneric
wish I could help you on what mine sounded like when it was stock more. All I have is this video of my X when it was stock.

Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

For those suggesting boost leaks - You don't actually believe that you could hear a small leak or even a larger leak from inside the cabin. Do you? Its hard to hear a leak when doing a boost leak test without the engine running. With the engine running and the turbo spooling, the exhaust and numerous other operational sounds will drown it out.

As far as an unbalanced turbo goes, I'd imagine that even the slightest variation would be detrimental. As others have stated, spinning at tens of thousands rpms, it's going to be noticeable. And I would also imagine that this would greatly accelerate bearing wear. Hopefully you can get it replaced.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:22 PM

Guys, some have posted that your being worrywarts and you kinda are, turbos make noise, so do engines. If your car works fine after being warmed up properly then is a none issue. Preventative maintaince is all you can do, and like the old saying goes "don't fix what ain't broken".
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hawaiianstyle
Guys, some have posted that your being worrywarts and you kinda are, turbos make noise, so do engines. If your car works fine after being warmed up properly then is a none issue. Preventative maintaince is all you can do, and like the old saying goes "don't fix what ain't broken".

Actually a lot of damage can be prevented by being overly aware of changes to your car. Rather than end up with a blown engine (that can happen from a vacuum leak and running lean), I would suggest:

--Do a complete visual inspection
--Is your FPR hose connected, vac lines from turbo, wg, EBCS, and intake? How about pcv vale? All the couplers snug? Anything loose or move excessively? Nothing caked/clogged on your airfilter right? Check all your fluids.

--Check your WB AFR gauge, are your AFRs good? (don't have a gauge...get one, its more important that boost IMO)

--Check your boost gauge, what's your vac levels at idle. Is your engine stumbling as it idles.

--Datalog your car, is it seeing lots of knock?

If all those steps and you still don't see any problems...then follow the previous advice that maybe you're being overly sensitive...and double check that by having a trustworthy friend take a look at things.

if all is good after that, then relax.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:26 PM

I agree, that's why I said preventative maintaince

Originally Posted by TheBlade
Actually a lot of damage can be prevented by being overly aware of changes to your car. Rather than end up with a blown engine (that can happen from a vacuum leak and running lean), I would suggest:

--Do a complete visual inspection
--Is your FPR hose connected, vac lines from turbo, wg, EBCS, and intake? How about pcv vale? All the couplers snug? Anything loose or move excessively? Nothing caked/clogged on your airfilter right? Check all your fluids.

--Check your WB AFR gauge, are your AFRs good? (don't have a gauge...get one, its more important that boost IMO)

--Check your boost gauge, what's your vac levels at idle. Is your engine stumbling as it idles.

--Datalog your car, is it seeing lots of knock?

If all those steps and you still don't see any problems...then follow the previous advice that maybe you're being overly sensitive...and double check that by having a trustworthy friend take a look at things.

if all is good after that, then relax.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:20 AM

Any updates on this problem ?

Mine started doing the same exact thing, it's like a squeal similar to an old serpentine belt going bad the problem is that is comes from the turbo area. It's starting to concern me squeal starts when the car is warm and idling! If anyone has any idea what this can be let me know. I had the car at AWDmotorsporst in south FL and they have no idea what it can be I will be taking the car again for a full diagnosis ill post anything I find.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Thegame
For those suggesting boost leaks - You don't actually believe that you could hear a small leak or even a larger leak from inside the cabin. Do you? Its hard to hear a leak when doing a boost leak test without the engine running. With the engine running and the turbo spooling, the exhaust and numerous other operational sounds will drown it out.

[snip].
Oh yes you can!! I could hear a prety loud whistle sound as boost was coming on (in every gear)

My LICP was leaking after the EVO X FMIC hose mashed down to the smaller RA LICP inlet pipe.

I added another clamp and it fixed the noise.

The bigger the leak - the quieter the noise until it becomes a psssh...
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Mine just started whining a little bit on cold starts for maybe a minute or two. Did anyone figure out if this is something to worry about??

Quick Reply: Turbo whine? air leak? Am I crazy? fml