Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Exhaust Wrapping

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Wrapping

Been looking into wraping my tube manifold and down pipe, wondering about the amount of benefit this provides. Also, my manifold is already ceramic coated so would it be overkill? On the down pipe do you wrap over the flex coupler or leave it unwrapped? Finally does anybody know of a company that makes a heat shield that covers the tube manifolds like the stock one covers? I saw MAP makes one that protects the firewall but would that keep heat out of the engine bay or just off the firewall?
Old May 6, 2012, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A 30°F reduction in heat equates to roughly a 3% horsepower increase.

I prefer coatings over wraps. Wraps can catch on fire, have oil and other stuff spill on it, put extra stress on the pipe, etc.

If a part is already coated with a good true efficient coating then you wouldn't need to wrap it.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To answer your other questions:

I wouldn't wrap over the flex coupler, leave it unwrapped.

Don't believe there is a good heat shield that covers a tubular manifold yet. Then again if you have a nice tubular that why not show it, just make sure it's coated well.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:03 AM

Also, you can have moisture under the wrap that will cause rusting.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

I had my whole system wrapped front to back! I will be getting my manifold coated tough
Old May 6, 2012, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

My manifold is coated by MAP...pretty sure it's a good reliable coating. I asked about the heat shield b/c when I was getting tuned I could see it get red hot and almost see through. Figured it was putting a ton of excess heat in the engine bay. As for wrapping, every DIY I've seen says to put it on wet so when it dries it's tighter. With all the heat the mani would be putting out how would excess moisture remain? and how does the wrap put extra stress on the piping? Prob dumb questions, but I don't wanna jack up my $1k manifold....
Old May 7, 2012, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Anybody else wrap?
Old May 7, 2012, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had wrapped a Full-Race tube manifold and burned it right off last season. Granted, racing only, but the manifold gets hot (very). Now using Map's heat shield on the firewall, it would be nice if it covered the top too. Problem is the shield mounts to the firewall and would also need to attach to the top of the motor which moves around some, so that would need to be sorted.

Key is to protect your cam sensor. Wrap that or use MAPs cam sensor shield.

Wrapping the exhaust can, as posted, cause rusting as condensation and water can get trapped and not dried out when the car is shut off. i don't recommend doing that. Pick up your 3% elsewhere.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/arti...-properly.html

Some people also soak the wrap in cans of heat coating instead of spraying.

There are also issues of burnout and extreme heat buildup within the metal since the wrap traps in heat, but as long as you have a good thick manifold or D/P you shouldn't have a problem.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah Chris sent me the cam sensor shield after I bought the manifold (b/c MAP is AWESOME and does great business!) so I have that...guess I'll look into getting their firewall heat shield and waiting for future covers that might be made down the line.
Old May 8, 2012, 09:19 PM

If it is daily driven, wraps need to be checked just like any other add ons periodically as they come lose and also can hide moisture/corrosion under them. Best bet if you can pony the money is a good ceramic thermal coating. They are the best performing thermal barrier out there and last. But have to pay to play.
Cheers
Old May 9, 2012, 02:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BaumBizzle
Yeah Chris sent me the cam sensor shield after I bought the manifold (b/c MAP is AWESOME and does great business!) so I have that...guess I'll look into getting their firewall heat shield and waiting for future covers that might be made down the line.

Cam Shield is a great solution. We're considering how to best fab up an extension to the firewall heat shield that would wrap over the top. It won't be pretty, and you won't be able to see your manifold and will need to have some clips that provide some movement as the motor shifts. The good news is, while I'm driving anyway, I have very few people looking at the motor...

I'll let you know what we come up with. In the meantime, just buy the MAP firewall heat shield and use the cam sensor.