Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Greasy stripes on side if car

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greasy stripes on side if car

Im seeing some grease stripes down the side if my car. At least I think it's grease. Is it common for crap to go through the fender vents? There is grease like material all the way back to the quarter panel. Not huge globs, just an inch or two lines of it. I'm thinking about removing the vents. Will this really dirty the side of the car or does not much dirt get through that area?

Thanks
Old May 13, 2012, 04:04 PM

Wash your car.

/thread.
Old May 13, 2012, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Do you mean wash it myself or get it washed?

Originally Posted by GSXRiderK6
Wash your car.

/thread.
Old May 13, 2012, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
Does it make a difference?
Old May 13, 2012, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Fix your profile. There's no way that you have a GSR. You have to shift a GSR, which involves difficult decisions, such as "should I now go to second or fifth?"
Old May 13, 2012, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Fix your profile. There's no way that you have a GSR. You have to shift a GSR, which involves difficult decisions, such as "should I now go to second or fifth?"
haha
Old May 15, 2012, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

i don't understand what the hostility is about, it sounds like he has a legitimate problem on his hands.. i for one have never seen oil coming out fender vents and have no idea how the heck that would even be possible.
Old May 15, 2012, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Are you using tire shine? It's possible that it's slinging all over the side of your car. That's normal for the cheap stuff.
Old May 15, 2012, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Hahahahaha.

Yea man. Just wash the car. There is nothing coming thru the fender vents because they honestly are more for looks.

You might have drove thru some crap or use some tire shine that is getting slung on the sides. Not a big deal.
Old May 15, 2012, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EuroEclipse
Are you using tire shine? It's possible that it's slinging all over the side of your car. That's normal for the cheap stuff.
I always opt for no tire shine if I go to the car wash because of this... Nothing is like a brand new wash followed by grease streaks all over the side of my car
Old May 15, 2012, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JScocchio
I always opt for no tire shine if I go to the car wash because of this... Nothing is like a brand new wash followed by grease streaks all over the side of my car
Exactly. If you want to condition your tires to keep them looking nice you should spray them with APC and brush them off before rinsing. To finish, just wipe a rubber and vinyl dressing on it with a soft sponge. It won't look greasy, and definitely won't sling all over the car.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:14 PM

Could be corrosion protection aka. Wax. It is on the insides of panels that don't receive as much paint prep as accessible surfaces. This is a very common problem with German cars. You wouldn't typically see it coming from a panel that has an accessible backside. Usually you will see it leaking in hot weather from the bottom of the doors or trunk. But I would bet that is what you have. Try cleaning it with 3M grease and wax remover if it doesn't come off with soap and water. But remember to reapply wax if you use the remover. It will also clean the wax off your car. Hope this helps...
Old May 15, 2012, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

I don't get it. I just wanted to make sure something wasn't coming out of the front of the car. Seemed like a simple question.

But I did get that PM you sent me about your mom washing my car for me in her g-string, I think I'll take you up on that offer. Have her wear a white t shirt as well.
Old May 16, 2012, 08:48 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't get it. I just wanted to make sure something wasn't coming out of the front of the car. Seemed like a simple question.

But I did get that PM you sent me about your mom washing my car for me in her g-string, I think I'll take you up on that offer. Have her wear a white t shirt as well.
no, there should not be grease coming out of those vents. Check and make sure you don't have a torn axle seal, some of the original ones were very thin and would spray a gooey grease all over the inside of the wheels well. Also can happen if your CV boot is torn or the clip slipped off. There is a factory update for it.
Old May 16, 2012, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^that's really the only thing it could be if it isn't something for detailing the car/tires. it would have to be a pretty serious loss of grease and would have to be flinging around in the wheel well for quite a while to get as far as the vents. plus it would be gray/silver in color.

Quick Reply: Greasy stripes on side if car