Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Cobb 3-port boost solenoid

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobb 3-port boost solenoid

Has anybody heard anything new on this?

on 5/9/12, Braden @ Cobb posted, "'ll also be adding some maps that take advantage of our soon to be released COBB 3-Port Boost Solenoid . . . ."

I am OCD about performance parts and try to stick with the same name brand parts as much as possible. I will be the first in line to pick one up at the same time I get a tune at CobbPlano. Now, if only they made a intercooler . . . .

If I worked for Cobb, I would make a package with all the Cobb made parts and tune a car with said parts. I would then offer the package at a discounted price (assuming it was profitable to do so) to provide an incentive for people to drop 3-4 grand at once. I would also only offer that particular OTS map to the package buyers. I would call it either stage 3 or the 340 package, in other words [however much whp they could get using all the Cobb parts] package. I think Cobb should give me a job.

Also, can anyone speak about the Cobb BPV?
Old May 13, 2012, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mer476

on 5/9/12, Braden @ Cobb posted, "'ll also be adding some maps that take advantage of our soon to be released COBB 3-Port Boost Solenoid . . . ."

I am OCD about performance parts and try to stick with the same name brand parts as much as possible. I will be the first in line to pick one up at the same time I get a tune at CobbPlano. Now, if only they made a intercooler . . . .

If I worked for Cobb, I would make a package with all the Cobb made parts and tune a car with said parts. I would then offer the package at a discounted price (assuming it was profitable to do so) to provide an incentive for people to drop 3-4 grand at once. I would also only offer that particular OTS map to the package buyers. I would call it either stage 3 or the 340 package, in other words [however much whp they could get using all the Cobb parts] package. I think Cobb should give me a job.

I have the Cobb BPV my stock one was leaking so when I upgraded to my new EF2 from MAP I decided to go this route very nice part.
Old May 13, 2012, 08:39 PM

I have read a lot about blow off valves on the forums and it seems like most people say you don't really need one unless you upgrade the turbo. Yet, I read about a lot of people buying them anyway. Couple of follow ups. Is there anything wrong with getting Cobb's BPV with the stock turbo? Is it going to add any benefit to the car with the stock turbo? and, do you have a picture of it installed?
Old May 14, 2012, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

I called Plano to schdule my tune, and The 3-port was mentioned by them. I think i am going to be picking one up for my tune, as far as i was told they have been for sale for over a month now.
Old May 14, 2012, 05:20 AM

do you have a picture of it installed?

Last edited by Brissette142; May 14, 2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The question is about the Cobb 3-port. Two replies seem to think this has something to do with the BPV, one reply is on-topic but can't really help, and the last wants a picture.

I wish this only happened on Mondays.

In any event, if you are going with an AP tune, I'd say go for it. If you're using EvoScan, I'd stay with a GrimSpeed.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
The question is about the Cobb 3-port. Two replies seem to think this has something to do with the BPV, one reply is on-topic but can't really help, and the last wants a picture.
OP asked about the BPV also.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There's research concerning the relationship between grumpiness and comprehension but I'm still too grumpy to understand what said research found....
Old May 14, 2012, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the Cobb BPV and it's a very nice piece, I recommend it. Scheides, another EvoM moderator, also has one with positive things to say about it.

Cobb used to offer a 400S package which included a full Stage 2 setup, plus a 3-port, fuel pump/injectors, FP Green turbo, Kelford cams/springs, and an OTS map to match the mods. Due to the lack of FP Greens on the market the kit was pulled and they're currently in the process of putting together a new 400S kit with a different turbo.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kracka
I have the Cobb BPV and it's a very nice piece, I recommend it. Scheides, another EvoM moderator, also has one with positive things to say about it.

Cobb used to offer a 400S package which included a full Stage 2 setup, plus a 3-port, fuel pump/injectors, FP Green turbo, Kelford cams/springs, and an OTS map to match the mods. Due to the lack of FP Greens on the market the kit was pulled and they're currently in the process of putting together a new 400S kit with a different turbo.
Thanks Kracka, is there anything you don't know? Ill look forward to a new 400s type package. And I will probably get the Cobb 3-port and a tune sometime around memorial day.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks Kracka, is there anything you don't know? Ill look forward to a new 400s type package. And I will probably get the Cobb 3-port and a tune sometime around memorial day.
NTEC is having a 11am BBQ lunch meet on Saturday 5/26/12. If you're in town you're welcome to join us.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 09:09 PM

Sorry for the gravedig but a friend recommended that this be my next mod. All I have is an intake and ETS "Quiet" exhaust but this seems like an inexpensive mod and I'm intrigued. Will this, with a tune, be worth it?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Verbal21
Sorry for the gravedig but a friend recommended that this be my next mod. All I have is an intake and ETS "Quiet" exhaust but this seems like an inexpensive mod and I'm intrigued. Will this, with a tune, be worth it?
Nice bump from the dead Yes it'll be worth it. For example earlier this year I picked up a bone stock 2008 Evo X as my new daily driver. Previous owner never modded it or got it tuned so it was still running the insanely rich factory tune. 2008 Evo X's tend to put down roughly 230whp +/- 10 depending on the dyno. I decided I was going to add some bolt-ons on to the car to simply make it breathe better. My mods were a ETS intake, a ETS test pipe, a ETS V2 quiet exhaust (like yours), and a Cobb 3 port EBCS. On the day of the tune (last saturday) it was already in the 90's, gotta love AZ. We kept the tune fairly conservative at 25psi on crappy AZ 91 gasoline. The car put down 330whp and 305wtq, thats roughly 100whp more than stock and it was achieved for under $1000 bucks. Sure the three ETS bolt-ons help, but the real power comes from the added boost of the 3 port. So to answer your question a Cobb 3 port, with a tune, will be worth it.

Oh and get a test pipe to go with the V2 Quiet, it sounds amazing.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 09:46 PM

Wow, thanks for the quick reply, that sounds awesome. I'll have to look into that test pipe. I'm still very much a noob so I hope I can still pass inspection with it.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Verbal21
Wow, thanks for the quick reply, that sounds awesome. I'll have to look into that test pipe. I'm still very much a noob so I hope I can still pass inspection with it.
I'm not sure what emissions are like in NJ but if they're like AZ where all they do is plug into your OBD-II then you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: Cobb 3-port boost solenoid