Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Flex joint in downpipes create noise?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flex joint in downpipes create noise?

Certain downpipe designs have a flex joint. Has anyone experianced a squeeking noise that sounds like a squeeking hampster wheel after installing a tbe with a ets or ams downpipe? I thought thst at fist it was the flywheel. I dont think its the case bc I can eliminate the sound butter smoth clutch engagments under light load takeoffs from a stop. The noise appears when I don't have the smoothest engagment of first which creates some back and forwards jostling of the car. Also a less audible same sounding sound can be heard when second isnt engaged baby smooth. Side to side rocking due to poor streets doesnt really create it. More so a back and forwards motion it takes. I think the whole system might move forwards and back tiny amounts due to the flex design and cause a squeek. Possible? Perhaps harder hangers to substitute to fix?
Old May 20, 2012, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is something rubbing, maybe, when the motor makes a forward and back motion?
Old May 22, 2012, 10:34 PM

Need to get it up on a lift to get a good look. I wish I had convenient access to one. Upon install it sure didn't look like it and the sound wasn't about upon installation. Kinda materialized within 50 miles.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:02 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a little squeak that I can't find and have a ETS dump pipe, but I assumed it was a loose stereo or something.

On I88 in Chicago there are some very bumpy parts of the highway where you hit a nodal up and down (probably similar to your forward / back) on the highway. It is constant throttle, but sometimes hard to reproduce. My girlfriend thought it was coming from my seat on a trip we just took, but it would make sense if it was in the driveshaft / exhaust tunnel.

I'd be more likely to think it was the dump pipe rubbing a heat shield though....
Old May 24, 2012, 09:07 PM

^ I moved from Chicago 6 months ago. Could have met up to compare squeeks. Would have been intetesting to see how comprable they are.
Old May 25, 2012, 06:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
this thread caught my eye because my evo 9 with a recently added map dp has started doing exactly as you describe. i have no idea if its due to the flex section on the dp though.
Old May 25, 2012, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

It's possible that the hangers are to blame. The stock hangers are pretty soft and will allow the exhaust system to move. Having a flex section on the DP will allow even more movement. You could try upgrading your hangers to something stiffer like the Torque Solutions hangers.
Old May 31, 2012, 09:38 AM

You can expect the squeek to get a bit louder as the system breaks in and the heat has it's effect on the metal. The squeek only comes about under specific backwards and forwads directional rocking.

Originally Posted by EuroEclipse
It's possible that the hangers are to blame. The stock hangers are pretty soft and will allow the exhaust system to move. Having a flex section on the DP will allow even more movement. You could try upgrading your hangers to something stiffer like the Torque Solutions hangers.
Thanks, I will be doing exactly this, upgrading the hangers. Are the torque solutions the best?
Old May 31, 2012, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

interesting!
Old May 31, 2012, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Illumin8
You can expect the squeek to get a bit louder as the system breaks in and the heat has it's effect on the metal. The squeek only comes about under specific backwards and forwads directional rocking.

Thanks, I will be doing exactly this, upgrading the hangers. Are the torque solutions the best?
I don't know if they're the best, but they're certainly the only ones I've found.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:39 PM

I went ahead and installed the torque solutions exhaust kit. Installed pretty easily with the use of crowbar, wide pliers and wd-40. The noise seems to be gone. The oem rubber was stretchy, very maluable when they were being taken off. So you can imagine the allowance for a exhaust to move around. Now keep in mind that those oem peices are being used for the stock exhaust that has a x oem diameter and is engineered to not rub and so forth. Change the piping diamater, weight and shape and expect noises. The torque solutions kit solves the movement. So the squeek is gone but the new firm, dense polyurithane will transpose vibrations more. For me its all good. I take the trade.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Illumin8
I went ahead and installed the torque solutions exhaust kit. Installed pretty easily with the use of crowbar, wide pliers and wd-40. The noise seems to be gone. The oem rubber was stretchy, very maluable when they were being taken off. So you can imagine the allowance for a exhaust to move around. Now keep in mind that those oem peices are being used for the stock exhaust that has a x oem diameter and is engineered to not rub and so forth. Change the piping diamater, weight and shape and expect noises. The torque solutions kit solves the movement. So the squeek is gone but the new firm, dense polyurithane will transpose vibrations more. For me its all good. I take the trade.
Great to hear. I noticed how soft and flexible the stock hangers are, too. It's crazy how much the exhuast moves with those.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:58 PM

^ Thanks for the TS tip. Great hangers. So far they are keeping the exhaust snug.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:53 PM

Update. Problem is solved with the ts hangers. They settle in great over time and transpose less vibrations as everything settles in after install over time. I highly recommend them if your exhaust can use the oem hangers.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

had the same issue. found that the hangar was just rubbing against something stupid like a bolt.
3 small knocks from a hammer on the hangars elbow to move it away from the rubbing and problem fixed. never happened again in 4 years.