Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Noobie mod question (intake & exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2012, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noobie mod question (intake & exhaust)

I bought a 2011 MR with approx 50 miles when I took possession that came w/ a 100,000 mile warranty and I have decided that I want to add the Tomei expreme exhaust and K&N typhoon intake. I just read an article about lean spool and it sounded like to do any mods on this car it basically requires that I tune it to prevent premature knock and engine damage.

I was told by Mitsubishi it would void my warranty if I tune (I was told intake and exhaust would be fine). Basically what I'm wondering though is if I do exhaust and intake would I be okay or would I need a tune to be safe?

The thing that concerned me was just reading about lean spool and excessive knock. This is my dd so I want it to be as reliable as possible and retain my warranty.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jun 2, 2012, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Well you wouldn't need a tune just going with an exhaust. Installing an intake will definitively throw off your afr, and so a tune would be necessary. If I were you I'd just throw on the Tomei and be done. Hope this helps!
Old Jun 2, 2012, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Perfect! Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by JACOB3RD
Well you wouldn't need a tune just going with an exhaust. Installing an intake will definitively throw off your afr, and so a tune would be necessary. If I were you I'd just throw on the Tomei and be done. Hope this helps!
Old Jun 3, 2012, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

How about perrin drop in and tomei expreme ti
Old Jun 3, 2012, 05:58 PM

I brought a 2011 MR off the showroom floor and ripped out the exhaust and intake a few months later. Had it dyno tunes 312/317 v@ 24 psi. I didn't buy the car for the warranty. I brought to MOD. I would of kept my Suburu Outback if I wanted a safe care with warranty. It's a great car stock, but what's the point?
Old Jun 3, 2012, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by koolzero

that will work. Also in regards to the warrenty. Unless the aftermarket part causes the issue, your warrenty will be valid. So in your case, if you got the intake, exhaust and tune and the engine blows up....they will blame it on your tune. If you have all that but your wheels fall off, your warrenty will cover it. I have full bolt ons + injectors/pump and fp red turbo and one of the dealerships are pretty cool and said they will use my warrenty as best as they can if i have any issues.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Best of both worlds man
Old Jun 3, 2012, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

You are right about preventing knock, etc. As mentioned, putting the air intake will affect you afr. For that, I would personally wait until you are ready for a tune. Unless you want to go with a Cobb Accesport and use a remote tune. Although that could potentially ruin your warranty.

As for the exhaust, going catback has no danger. You will not affect any boost levels and hence not presenting any danger of over boosting and creating knock.

Ps. Good choice on the Tomei Expreme, waiting on shipment for mine!! Can't wait

Best of luck sir
Old Jun 4, 2012, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

I hope the tomei exhaust comes out of backorder soon, I heard late June early July.

Last edited by koolzero; Jun 4, 2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

good choice on the tomei. that's what i'm buying as well. at first i'm hesitant because of the single exit thing but eventually it grew on me and now i like it better than the dual exit.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

I dyno'd my 11 GSR 100% OE equipment and the tune was crazy rich, so intake and CBE should be no-problem.

(I have the 100k warranty too, but my purpose for getting it was to cover things like the Recaro seat stitching and, AC vents, and HVAC controls, etc. )

I would suggest 2 additional mods to go with your drop-in and CBE, Wideband A/F and boost gauge, that way you can always keep an eye on your A/F. I think your choices sound great, but should you have probs and you don't have a tune, sounds like you're still warranty friendly.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

I hope the tomei exhaust comes out of backorder soon, I heard late June early July.

Yeah ordered mine from maperformance and they told me there is a 2-3 weeks delay... ordered mine last week
Old Jun 5, 2012, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

Why does the Tomei website say the expreme exhaust is off road use only, is it because of how loud it is?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

probably just a catch-all, different states and counties have different regulations. When I lived in Yavapai county in Northern AZ we didn't even have emissions. Not cat was fine, now that I'm in Maricopa county here in Phx, emissions are required.

So you're probably right, it's probably because of the noise level, and it might not be a problem in most areas anyhow.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Why does the Tomei website say the expreme exhaust is off road use only, is it because of how loud it is?

mostly every mod will say that. My Yoshimura exhaust on my bike said the same thing.

Quick Reply: Noobie mod question (intake & exhaust)