Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Weird weird issue. What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird weird issue. What do you guys think?

Hey guys. Went to the 1/4 mile last night and noticed something funny. Slipping clutch jumped to my head but who knows so I thought I could use some help diagnosing it. The issue happens on the first run.

2011 GSR with 12000 miles
AMS cai
ETS uicp
ETS test pipe
HKS cat back
Pro-tuned.

So here is a video of the 2 runs on the 1/4 mile. They were done back to back maybe 20 minutes apart. The issue happens on the first run ONLY. The second run looks good to me. I used the 2 step on both runs but on the first run I turned my TC OFF OFF(Holding it for more than 3 seconds) and on the second one just OFF(1 click)

I first thought it was just lack of traction since my stock tires are almost gone and my understanding of the TC OFF OFF is that it doesn't limit power or wheel spin like the TC OFF does( I COULD BE WRONG WITH THIS) so I thought that my car was just not getting any traction but then the slipping clutch came to my head. During the run, the launch felt good and normal but then when I switched to 3rd (41second mark on the first run,) you can hear my RPM acting weird. Im don't remember 100% how second gear went but I think that it FELT like I had no traction so I kinda short shifted to 3rd. On 3rd gear I do remember that when my rpm were at around 5000-6000 RPM they were not going up as fast but the car was still pulling(Not as hard, thats why I thought lack of traction but on 3rd gear?) You can totally hear the RPM moving up super slow at the 41 seconds mark. So then on my second run, I went with TC just OFF (1click) and the car felt 100% normal RPM acting normal and raping the camaro

Im hoping it was just my tires and my theory of the TC OFF OFF is right but I could be totally wrong. No codes at all and car drives good so far. It is also weird how I had a higher top speed but slower time on the first ru

First run

Second run

Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Here are the slips for both runs
Attached Thumbnails Weird weird issue. What do you guys think?-img_1398.png   Weird weird issue. What do you guys think?-img_1399.png  
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Plain off (tap button) turns off both the standard TC (throttle-cut) and the fancy TC (single-wheel braking). With regard to TC, there's no difference between off and off-off.

If I had to guess, based on the videos, if you were really launching at 5500 rpm and still left the line that slowly, you were slipping the clutch way too much, overheated it, and started slipping in 3rd. Your second launch wasn't as bad as the first, so it didn't happen again.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Plain off (tap button) turns off both the standard TC (throttle-cut) and the fancy TC (single-wheel braking). With regard to TC, there's no difference between off and off-off.

If I had to guess, based on the videos, if you were really launching at 5500 rpm and still left the line that slowly, you were slipping the clutch way too much, overheated it, and started slipping in 3rd. Your second launch wasn't as bad as the first, so it didn't happen again.
I did launch a little late in purpose tho because I didn't want to hold the 2step for to long so I was waiting for the first yellow to go to start the 2 step. I got a 1.9 60ft and 1.8 so I thought launched were not that bad. I did smell a bit of clutch at the end of the run so you could be right!

Edit: I never had a clutch slipping on me so I don't know but I always thought the rpm would go up pretty fast then down and catch up. I felt like my car was always pulling but the rpm just didn't go up normally( not as fast) English is my second language so sorry if I didn't explain this well enough

Last edited by alex the great; Jun 16, 2012 at 03:00 PM.