Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

bending OE Recaros

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
bending OE Recaros

As anyone who races with a helmet on knows, the way the OE seats in an X curve forward at the top is a real pain. Literally. Has anyone had any success in bending the seat, from the harness holes up, to get more room for a helmet?

(I do not want to recline the seat more, as this moves my arms back and the steering wheel is already too far away. I can't move the seat forward, as I have long legs and any farther forward and left-foot-braking becomes too awkward. I currently solve the problem with a pad behind my upper back, but that means my shoulders aren't getting any lateral support. If you have another idea, then please go ahead and suggest it. Otherwise, let's focus on fixing the seat. Oh, and the budget for the year - and next year - is already blown, so new seats are not an option unless you offer me $1000 for the OE seats. )
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I've always found this a bit odd about the X Recaros vs. the IX's; they obviously designed them primarily for agressive street driving.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll check when I get home unless someone answers before then. I have a 2012 and didn't notice a curve at all. It's pretty much straight on my seats.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it bends up towards the windshield. i never found it to be a problem with a helmet. it actually makes it easier to rest your helmeted head on when going down a straight portion of track.....i admittedly do that sometimes.

maybe driver height (physical height) has something to do with it.

i would imagine that if your stripped the seats down to the frame and heated them up and got medieval on them you could straighten out the top.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

tilt the seat back a little more?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Don't they sell lowering brackets for the recaros? Lower the seat = more clearance.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't need clearance above my head; if anything, I'd like to be a tad higher. I need the top of seat to be further towards the rear of the car.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dek0026
it bends up towards the windshield. i never found it to be a problem with a helmet. it actually makes it easier to rest your helmeted head on when going down a straight portion of track.....i admittedly do that sometimes.

maybe driver height (physical height) has something to do with it.

i would imagine that if your stripped the seats down to the frame and heated them up and got medieval on them you could straighten out the top.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, so there is a slight angle. I checked with my helmet on and it doesn't bother me. I still have about 2-3" of clearance behind my head.
I'm 6'2" and 195lbs, with most of my height in my legs. The top of the headrest goes above my head.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:08 PM

bend them let us know!!!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by EuroEclipse
Ok, so there is a slight angle. I checked with my helmet on and it doesn't bother me. I still have about 2-3" of clearance behind my head.
I'm 6'2" and 195lbs, with most of my height in my legs. The top of the headrest goes above my head.

Most of my weight is in my 3rd leg
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kawtipin
Most of my weight is in my 3rd leg
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:56 AM
Evolving Member

When I bought my 2012 X I instantly was annoyed with this. Nothing ruins a car like bad seating position.

My VIII was the perfect ergonomic setup. Wish they didn't move the steering wheel away from the driver, and make the top of the recarro's tilt forward in the X. I can only imagine how much more uncomfortable it will be when I autoX it with a helmet on.

I'll definitely want to know a fix for this if anyone comes up with one.

Might have to strip the seat and purchase a propane blowtorch from home depot and bend it, but I'm worried about weakening the metal.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iowa999
As anyone who races with a helmet on knows, the way the OE seats in an X curve forward at the top is a real pain. Literally. Has anyone had any success in bending the seat, from the harness holes up, to get more room for a helmet?
To be honest, a reclining/ adjustable seat back is not safe for racing. While OK for HPDE without a harness, they are not permitted by any sanctioning groups for actual competition. This is due to that fact that the seat back can move independently of the seat bottom in an impact (when it breaks) and you can die.

Altering the seat, bending it, etc, may weaken it and will make it worse. I can say with some certainty that when you get to tech, at an event, and they notice your oem seat has been modified, they will not permit the car on track.

You already know the right answer, get a proper racing seat. I think that we sold my Recaros for $950. Look for a used racing seat or something inexpensive from Sparco, or OMP or a couple of others. Alternatively, make do with what you've got, as uncomfortable as it is, but please don't try to bend it.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by digitalskillz

Might have to strip the seat and purchase a propane blowtorch from home depot and bend it, but I'm worried about weakening the metal.

You think?

I might suggest, aside from a proper seat, to remove the steering wheel and replace it with a hub, quick release and spacer that moves the wheel closer to you. I think I might have read where someone had the stock wheel removed, cut and weld in a spacer, and then replace the stock wheel. This would do the same thing, of course, it just wouldn't be on a quick release.

Quick Reply: bending OE Recaros