Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Does the ETS intake require a tune

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the ETS intake require a tune

Hey guys I was looking at purchasing the ETS intake and was wondering if it required tuning the car. I'm going to tune the car eventually but for now I didn't want to void my warranty.

Last edited by powered4B11; Jul 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Any mod you do to the car could give you warranty trouble. As far as tuning goes, most intakes require a tune to maximize it and run correctly. But I doubt you'd have any trouble running an intake untuned for a while. I ran some basic bolt ons for a while without a tune. Just keep an eye on your AFR if you have a wide band.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

According to mike from ets the intake is made to run on the car without a tune.

Warranty work as long as the intake isn't part of the problem you can't have you warranty voided.

So your cv joints break for example, the intake can't cause that.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been running un-tuned for a couple months with the ETS intake. I'm doing my best to take it easy until I can get down to Boostin' at the end of the month. But, since the install, no issues. I also have UICP and LICP with a 3" ets FMIC and ETS cat-back. Can't wait to feel the difference of a good tune.

Stock tune is generally rich so you wont hurt anything by adding a little more air. Not in the short-term anyway

Last edited by BoostInside; Jul 12, 2012 at 03:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Evoxkidd (Apr 17, 2021)
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
We designed the intake to use the factory maf housing. This allows the scaling to stay the same and not require a tune. Our intake does lean out the car a little, but from the factory this car runs pig rich. If the car has been tuned on stock airbox, I do not suggest bolting on our intake without a retune.

Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info, I was planning on buy the intake very soon, and then in a couple of months, buy a cbe. I don't want to get the car tuned because this is my daily, and I do plan on keeping it for a long time, so I don't want to void my warranty out. According to the maintenance guys at Mitsubishi that I talk to, bolt ons like intake, and cbe will not void out the warranty
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

ets 3.5 was my first mod and the idle got real bouncy at full stops. thought it was going to cut my engine out. but i really love the piece and when tuned, it is a beast.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

fortunately the intake is one of the more easier mods to install and uninstall. so you wont have to worry too much about warranty. but like the others have said, if you want to maximize performance out of it, you should get it tuned, but you can wait till you get other mods to go with it.

rather then going one mod at a time i went with a small bundle if you will. Intake, DP, TP + tune.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by tehSteve
ets 3.5 was my first mod and the idle got real bouncy at full stops. thought it was going to cut my engine out. but i really love the piece and when tuned, it is a beast.
Do you still have the rough idle after the tune? I had the same problem with mine and im wondering if a tube will fix the idle issue.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You guys are using 3.5" MAF on a stock tune? If so, that's a problem.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:27 AM

A million people will probably say this, but try and get a tune by a reputable tuner. It made my car SO much better in several ways. Faster, obviously. Not massive numbers (321whp and 311 tq), but the car is way faster because there is a lot more power throughout the rev range. I was SO dissappointed with my evo when I bought it initially because the power was all at 5k and I really didn't like the drop-off. The tune is the best money I have ever put into this car, or any car i've had, really.

Mine is tuned by Wasatch Turbo Factory here in Utah, so good!
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Intake and CBE, car should be tuned. It will be on the lean side, and you'll notice that it's kind of stumbly, especially on tip in. A good 300whp tune from a good tuner will be just as reliable as stock.