Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Harness Bar

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Iowa999
You are correct that Schroth (and all other harness makers, for that matter) says not to use child-seat anchors, but that's cover-your-butt legal talk. If you look at how an Evo X's child-seat anchors are attached to the chassis, you'll know that it's fine. The reason they say not to use child-seat anchors is that not all cars have such a good connection. When you do have good anchors, it's orders of magnitude better to use an anchor that is straight back from your shoulders, instead of something either downwards or off to the side.
Be careful guys, he's correct, mounting the shoulder straps anywhere but straight from the shoulders can cause more damage due to the compression of the straps in an accident they will pull you down into the seat possibly causing spinal damage.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a side note, depending on the bar you put in, it wouldn't affect normal DD driving, even with passengers in the back, you just wouldn't be able to recline your seat as much. Another option is upgrading your seat. The OEM seats don't hold you in that well. Get one that'll hug you tight, you don't want any loose fitting seat while autoXing, I know I drove a lot better when I didn't move around, and I had the stock seat belts so it's not a belt issue IMO. But it's your car, GL and congrats on your win.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Having a passenger in the rear seat with a harness bar in the car is something that I would never do, even if I really disliked said passenger. Yes, the rear seat-belt should keep them from smacking their face into the bar, but the small chance that it wouldn't would stop me from doing this. It's similar to driving a car with a full cage without a helmet on. Yeah, the odds of something bad happening are low, but the damage to the person if something bad happens is very, very bad.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:11 AM

Haha you could always wrap it with foam for a cushioned impact lol
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

I talked to Schroth for a bit on the phone today. They said go with the 3 or the Autocontrol, they recommend we share the mounting point with the rear seatbelts on the C-pillar.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tkromer
I talked to Schroth for a bit on the phone today. They said go with the 3 or the Autocontrol, they recommend we share the mounting point with the rear seatbelts on the C-pillar.
did you run the idea of using the baby seat attachment point by them?

Last edited by SavageGSR; Aug 27, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 04:58 PM

subscribed!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SavageGSR
did you run the idea of using the baby seat attachment point by them?
I did, he said unofficially it should work fine, but officially they would not recommend that.

I will order the Autocontrol I believe, I'll do a writeup with pictures when I get it.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tkromer
I did, he said unofficially it should work fine, but officially they would not recommend that.
Be careful in that, when you go through tech at the track they can, unilaterally, determine that your mounting points, belt style, configuration, etc is unacceptable and not let you run for the day. It is more than a little disappointing and worth some email to the group you drive with to ensure your solution will meet their tech inspection expectations.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

I'll probably go ahead and mount on the C-pillar where it's "supposed" to go, but the baby seat anchor seems a lot easier and realistically just as safe.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Correct. The Rallye-3 has one rear belt that goes onto the baby-seat anchor. The Rally-4 requires two rear anchors and won't go in an Evo X without significant work.

Note that Rally-3s are "handed" in that the driver's side and passenger's side are different, because they are mirror-symmetrical. (This is because the inside-shoulder's belt stretches first, so you roll in towards the center of the car in a crash.) For example, if you want blue belts on both sides, you want part-numbers 14101 and 14601.

Do you have any pictures showing how the rally 3 looks mounted to the babyseat anchors?

Originally Posted by AWDTerror
I use the Rallye 4 and they are mounted to the seatbelt anchors just fine without extensive modification.

Do you have any pictures showing how the rally 4 looks mounted your way?
Old Sep 6, 2012, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nastorino
Do you have any pictures showing how the rally 3 looks mounted to the babyseat anchors?
Nope. Out of the car for the season. Sorry.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/R...structions.pdf

instructions for mounting the rallye 3
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Having looked at those mounts under the plastic cover last night in person they do seem decently strong, but there still was some flex. With a bit of extra metal welded in to stiffen it up I think it would be quite good compared to running a harness bar. Oddly I actually have a harness bar from my old GSR but haven't installed it in my MR yet since it does make the rear seat a dangerous place to be even with padding.

What most HPDE groups will nail you for a 5 point harness without a proper slot cut in the seat for the 5th point between your legs. 6 point harness could work better but also needs a slot cut to properly mount the 5th and 6th points around your legs. If you need to have an instructor sit with you or do a checkout at a new track then all the restraints you have in the driver's seat need to mirror the passenger seat as well.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:08 PM

I'm tempted to grab the rally 4

Quick Reply: Harness Bar