Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Harness Bar

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Harness Bar

Does anyone currently produce a quickly removable harness bar for the X?

I did autocross again this past weekend and beat the crap out of my left knee trying to stay planted (on a bright note I won). I have used a CG Lock and it helps, but I'd love to run harnesses on autocross days and take them out the rest of the time. I do have back seat passengers once or twice a week and will not put them in jeopardy with a permanent bar of any sort, so this needs to be 15 minute or less addition/removal.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Harness bars are a pain and serious overkill for autocross, IMO. This is what I use: http://www.schrothracing.com/store/t...allye/rallye-3 It's safer, in the case of a rollover, because of how the inside shoulder's belt will stretch first and it works with the OE baby-seat anchors perfectly.

Apologies for not answering the actual question.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

I have no idea how that would attach to my car, but I believe you

That would seem to serve the purpose of what I'm trying to do though, does it leave a seatbelt nag light on? Or do I need a key?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

They use the same lower, side anchors as the OE belt. You pull the bolts, put the Schroth tabs on first, and then put the OE belt-ends back on top. That's easy. In the rear, the single strap goes on the baby-seat anchor. The single rear strap disconnects in a second, for when you have rear-seat passengers.

As to the warning light, if you look on eBay, you'll find a ton of seat-belt-warning defeaters (which might be what you meant by a "key"). They are tabs like the OE tongue that you stick in the OE receiver when using the harness.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Alright it was the rear I was confused about, the sides made sense. So the Rallye 3 not the 4 for our car?

By key I did mean seat belt warning defeater. I assumed that was the answer, thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Correct. The Rallye-3 has one rear belt that goes onto the baby-seat anchor. The Rally-4 requires two rear anchors and won't go in an Evo X without significant work.

Note that Rally-3s are "handed" in that the driver's side and passenger's side are different, because they are mirror-symmetrical. (This is because the inside-shoulder's belt stretches first, so you roll in towards the center of the car in a crash.) For example, if you want blue belts on both sides, you want part-numbers 14101 and 14601.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure which color I'll go with but I appreciate it Iowa!

I am definitely getting one for myself. I usually let a passenger ride and I'm sure they'd appreciate it, but they can hold on since they're not driving
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

The only reason that I got both sides is that there's this one sanctioning body that requires that the passenger's seat and belts be the same as the driver's for when you have the instructor in the car. Otherwise, I agree, as long as they don't grab the e-brake again ... long story.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
The only reason that I got both sides is that there's this one sanctioning body that requires that the passenger's seat and belts be the same as the driver's for when you have the instructor in the car. Otherwise, I agree, as long as they don't grab the e-brake again ... long story.
I kinda want to hear that story... lol
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Cliff notes: Left sweeper. Passenger grabs e-brake (hard) as they slide into their door. I get the clutch in fast enough to prevent a stall, but we still end up sitting there, looking straight back into traffic, which is going 70+. Couldn't do anything but wait for a gap. Better to sit still and be in a predictable location than try to get off the road and, thereby, be somewhere they didn't expect. It was probably only ten seconds or so, but one of the scariest ten seconds of my life. I spent most of it asking myself (silently) whether the nice Momo wheel was really worth giving up the airbag. This was in a 2G DSM.

ps. if you tell my wife this story, I'll deny it
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Correct. The Rallye-3 has one rear belt that goes onto the baby-seat anchor. The Rally-4 requires two rear anchors and won't go in an Evo X without significant work.

Note that Rally-3s are "handed" in that the driver's side and passenger's side are different, because they are mirror-symmetrical. (This is because the inside-shoulder's belt stretches first, so you roll in towards the center of the car in a crash.) For example, if you want blue belts on both sides, you want part-numbers 14101 and 14601.
you have your belts installed wrong. you are not supposed to use the child seat anchors. proper install is to use the rear seat belt anchors. is stated right in the install manual for them

Last edited by zabes; Aug 15, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Cliff notes: Left sweeper. Passenger grabs e-brake (hard) as they slide into their door. I get the clutch in fast enough to prevent a stall, but we still end up sitting there, looking straight back into traffic, which is going 70+. Couldn't do anything but wait for a gap. Better to sit still and be in a predictable location than try to get off the road and, thereby, be somewhere they didn't expect. It was probably only ten seconds or so, but one of the scariest ten seconds of my life. I spent most of it asking myself (silently) whether the nice Momo wheel was really worth giving up the airbag. This was in a 2G DSM.

ps. if you tell my wife this story, I'll deny it
Please, turn in another man to his wife for driving? Yeah right.

But I can definitely see that being a tad scary, and by that I mean **** your pants scary.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zabes
you have your belts installed wrong. you are not supposed to use the child seat anchors. proper install is to use the rear seat belt anchors. is stated right in the install manual for them
You are correct that Schroth (and all other harness makers, for that matter) says not to use child-seat anchors, but that's cover-your-butt legal talk. If you look at how an Evo X's child-seat anchors are attached to the chassis, you'll know that it's fine. The reason they say not to use child-seat anchors is that not all cars have such a good connection. When you do have good anchors, it's orders of magnitude better to use an anchor that is straight back from your shoulders, instead of something either downwards or off to the side.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

I use the Rallye 4 and they are mounted to the seatbelt anchors just fine without extensive modification.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wildcat Birdie
Please, turn in another man to his wife for driving? Yeah right.
Heh, my autocross buddy is a female coworker. My wife won't ride along

Quick Reply: Harness Bar