Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Opinions on 3rd Party Warranties

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Opinions on 3rd Party Warranties

Hello Everyone,

I have searched around on the forums and haven't found a thread on 3rd Party Warranties so I decided I would start one. Everyone is in different situations on their warranties (bought Evo new, bought used, etc) but here is MY situation and question:
I recently purchased a used 2010 Evo GSR with 26,000 miles. The original owner is a good guy and was maticulous in his caring for the car (scheduled main, wash/wax, no mods, etc) so the car is in excellent shape. My issue is, what I've been hearing is that the 10yr/100K mile manufacturer's warranty is "NOT" transferable. In addition, I'm not sure if the 5yr/60K powertrain transfers either. If anyone can speak to this, I would appreciate it. I will prob just call the stealership to see exactly what kind of warranty I have remaining.
Ok, now my real question is this: Has anyone purchased a 3rd party warranty? If you have purchased one, have you ever used it and if you used it, were there any run-arounds from the warranty company? I've read more bad than good things about these warranties but want to see what you guys think. I'm thinking that putting $1,000 in a "car fund" and adding $50/month would probably be as good or better than buying a warranty from an unproven 3rd party.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The 3/36 and 5/60 coverages are transferable.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I bought a used Evo X. I bought the extended warranty. And IMO it all depends on the company or dealership you have to deal with to get work done. Do some research and see their customer ratings and reviews.

Also, since I bought a used Evo, not from a mitsubishi dealership, does the factory warranty still apply? Do I have to go fill out paperwork saying I own the car now?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Your warranty is still valid, and there is no transfer paperwork to fill out. The warranty coverage is tied to the VIN, not the owner. You could be the 100th owner for all Mitsu cares.

With that said, the 10/100 coverage on the 8/9's was only for the original owner, any owner after that got 5/60.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:36 PM

But what did they do for 2008 evo's?
I'm interested to see if they'd replace my struts, cause I think they're blown....
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

5/60 is for the powertrain, bumper-to-bumper is 3/36.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 01:45 PM

Ah okay thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:29 PM

I have a 2011 MR and got an aftermarket warranty shortly after I purchased the car (NOT from the dealer, those were a rip off). Factory bumper-to-bumper covers it for 3 years/36,000 miles (5 years/60,000 miles for powertrain) and then the aftermarket kicks in and covers it out to 8 years/100,000 miles. It is also 100% transferable if I ever sell the car.

I went with Warranty Direct and selected the luxury care plus plan that is basically identical to the original factory bumper to bumper plan. They also pay the shop directly, so I don't have to pay first and then submit for reimbursement.

Be careful what company you go through as there are many fly by night ones that pop up and disappear quickly. Warranty Direct is one of the largest here in the States and has been around a long time. I have used them on previous cars with much success.

The big problem is modifying. You really have to keep the car pretty much stock. You can do a few minor things, but pretty much any engine mod (other than a standard replacement part like an aftermarket drop in air filter) or aftermarket tune will start voiding things quickly.

Last edited by rparker35; Aug 23, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

^+1. I purchased Zurich 3rd party warranty(6 yr/100,000) and so far so good. I already used several times at local shop with no problem. They are pretty easy to deal with. Hardest part is keep evo in near stock form.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LandoCommando
Hello Everyone,

I have searched around on the forums and haven't found a thread on 3rd Party Warranties so I decided I would start one. Everyone is in different situations on their warranties (bought Evo new, bought used, etc) but here is MY situation and question:
I recently purchased a used 2010 Evo GSR with 26,000 miles. The original owner is a good guy and was maticulous in his caring for the car (scheduled main, wash/wax, no mods, etc) so the car is in excellent shape. My issue is, what I've been hearing is that the 10yr/100K mile manufacturer's warranty is "NOT" transferable. In addition, I'm not sure if the 5yr/60K powertrain transfers either. If anyone can speak to this, I would appreciate it. I will prob just call the stealership to see exactly what kind of warranty I have remaining.
Ok, now my real question is this: Has anyone purchased a 3rd party warranty? If you have purchased one, have you ever used it and if you used it, were there any run-arounds from the warranty company? I've read more bad than good things about these warranties but want to see what you guys think. I'm thinking that putting $1,000 in a "car fund" and adding $50/month would probably be as good or better than buying a warranty from an unproven 3rd party.
I bought my WW X from BigTwo. They told me the warranty was transferable when I bought it. Those guys there are really decent.

If you're there for anything other than an oil change ask for Tyler as your tech and don't worry. Both the service writes are good guys. They'll take care of you.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rparker35
I went with Warranty Direct and selected the luxury care plus plan....
You know that no part of your suspension is covered and that, most likely, they will deny any claim for problems with the drivetrain, as well.

Why?

Because race car.

No, that's not it.

Because of your spacers and springs.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
5/60 is for the powertrain, bumper-to-bumper is 3/36.
I have a 2011 with 14.5k miles and it seems the wiring in the rear driver side door is faulty and says it's open when it's not. That would be covered then?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Minot Syndicate
I have a 2011 with 14.5k miles and it seems the wiring in the rear driver side door is faulty and says it's open when it's not. That would be covered then?
uhmm yeah
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

I'll have to call the dealership... considering I'm 2100 miles away from where I bought it and the nearest Mitsu dealer is 5 hours away -_________________-
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Minot Syndicate
I'll have to call the dealership... considering I'm 2100 miles away from where I bought it and the nearest Mitsu dealer is 5 hours away -_________________-

Maybe one of the Canadian dealerships is closer?

Quick Reply: Opinions on 3rd Party Warranties