Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

I need an Air Intake in terms of performance + more power .. (Any recommendation)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Panda_stunter
With any intake, u can run without a tune....but u wouldn't get the full potential if u don't get a tune.

Aem intake gives u extra 20hp without tune, but with a tune, u get a total of about 40hp.

ETS, AMS, Cobb r all reputable names so going with them isn't a bad idea. I only went with aem because it is housed. MAF tube will be changed as well with aem but I know I ran the car without a tune for a few days then I got the Cobb accessport.

Not all the intakes use an OE sized MAF housing and therefore cannot be used without tuning (unless you like barely being able to run and then running crazy lean)

All manufactures claim crazy power (like 20hp or 40hp tuned) from an intake, when factually butt-dyno barely feels it without a tune, but it does improve throttle response quite a bit and generally makes it so you can hear your turbo and BOV and that will make anyone smile.

Claiming power with a tune is retarded, because a bad tuner could leave you with less hp, and generally people are getting the same power after tuning with any of the OE sized MAF intakes OR even the factory intake with a drop-in filter.

I do agree with you the AEM is designed well, it's a great product and great suggestion to anyone. I personally didn't go with it, because I wanted to hear the turbo spool a little more.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't remember what the site was but it's not aem claiming to get that much power. I believe aem only claimed about 12-15hp on their intake. The people/site was the one who did the claim of 20 untuned and 40 tuned since they did dyno the car...I just can't remember which site or where the link is now. It's an independent though, not a big site.

Nevermind...found it

Heres the link, modified mag did it.

http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-10...e/viewall.html

Last edited by Panda_stunter; Aug 31, 2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:15 PM

I like the ETS intake
Old Oct 1, 2012, 07:54 AM

Love my AEM. Box keeps it nice and cool too