Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evolution X U1073 Bus-Off fault code

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evolution X U1073 Bus-Off fault code

What's up guys.

Been having a problem with my X lately.

Mostly, when accelerating off from a standstill, and sometimes even after changing to 2nd/3rd gear and stepping on the accelerator, the "CHECK" icon will appear on my screen. It appears in red colour and doesn't trigger any check lights, and the icon disappears after like 2-3 seconds.

After scanning my ECU, I get the fault code "U1073 Bus-Off" logged in the ECU.

Anybody has any idea what this fault could mean?

I do have a Steering Angle sensor fault as well, but my steering's perfectly straight (well okay not perfectly, but it's like a 1-2 percent angle =/) when I'm driving in a straight line due to not having gone for a re-alignment, but this "CHECK" icon has only started occuring in the past few weeks.

I also have a clutch pedal fault, but my workshop told me that's normal as I've changed my clutch pump to a evo 9 one and lowered the clutch pedal action.

It used to happen rarely, then it gradually grew more frequent until now, when moving off normally like what I have been doing all along, it triggers the "CHECK" icon.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

Not sure about the U1073 code. The CHECK icon may be due to low brake fluid or worn brake pads. When my pads wore out every time I went around a corner the CHECK would turn on for a second because the fluid went to one side and it thought it was low.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

I agree, good easy thing to check

For me it was like 10 years ago on an ODBI car, but the brake light would come on and then go away, and like said above it was the brake fluid sloshing around and causing the level to go too low every time I accelerated hard.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:17 AM

Hmmm... Checked my brake fluid and it's alright...

Pads are still good too...

EDIT:

Omg I feel so noob now...

Turns out the brake fluid was indeed low... I thought it was okay the first time I checked it, but it was a cursory glance in low lighting conditions...

After topping up my fuel tank just now at the petrol station, I opened up my bonnet for another look, and realised that the brake fluid was actually very low... Like 2-3 inches below the MAX line. I topped up the brake fluid and voila, the "CHECK" icon stop appearing.

The U1073 fault code was probably a remnant from a few months back when my ECU got fried and I had to purchase a new ECU and re-flash it.

Oh well. You learn something new everyday. =P

Last edited by Razorb0iz; Sep 15, 2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

So, here's step two:

Brake fluid is a hydraulic fluid. It will boil if it gets hot enough, but it's a sealed system and can't evaporate. So the question is, where did your brake fluid go?

Chances are you're pads are super worn and because the pistons in the calipers are extending out and allowing more brake fluid to be in the calipers. So, it's likely that you'll need a brake job soon, or you have a brake fluid leak. Check your CMS and look for leaks around the master cylinder and around the brake booster. Check the lines around your struts too. If it's leaking, or your brakes are worn out, both could be a safety issue.

Good luck!