Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Weird buzzing sound behind dash of Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird buzzing sound behind dash of Evo X

Has anyone heard this sound in their Evo X? I've been hearing a weird buzzing sound that seems to be coming from behind the center of the dashboard of my 2008 Evo X GSR. It sounds like one of those old school alarm clocks that buzzes. The sound lasts for three or four seconds, then it's quiet for an hour or so, then it makes the sound again. It's not coming through the speakers and I don't think it's the radio or CD player itself. It sounds like it's a foot or so behind the dash. It even happens when the engine is not running, like the other night when we were at the drive-in movie just using the radio, it started happening more and more often. No error codes coming from the ODB2 port, no mods except a test pipe, and the car seems fine otherwise. Any ideas before I take it in for service?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem except mine was coming though the speakers. And when the AC was on, It was even louder. And it doesnt do anymore cause I swapped out the whole Rockford system for a aftermarket setup. Goodluck with Mitsu doing anything.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Have you tried changing the the sound options on the radio from sound stage or anything like that to just flat and then seeing if its coming from the speakers? Some of those settings are really good at throwing sound and making it sound like its coming from somewhere else. Have you popped the hood and see if you can hear it outside the car? If its not the radio then thats weird. If it is then good excuse to get a new one =D G/L
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sound is not coming from the radio or the speakers. It's something physically buzzing/vibrating about a foot or so behind the center of the dashboard, sort of behind where the HVAC controls are. The sound only lasts for three or four seconds, so I haven't had time to pop the hood while the sound is happening. It buzzes at random times, about every 45 minutes or so while I'm driving, or just sitting with the key turned one click so the radio will come on.

One thing I did notice when we were at the drive-in movie, the buzzing was happening more and more often, the longer we sat there with the engine off but the radio on.

I should also mention that I have been hearing this buzzing occasionally for more than a year and the car is running fine otherwise, including several days at the track.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Weird. Things that happen at random like that are such a pita to get figured out.