Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

MR + big wing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2012, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR + big wing

I'm about to get a 2013 MR but I really like the GSR style wing. Call it juvenile or whatever, to me it just doesn't look like an Evo without the big wing.

Any recommendation on good, quality aftermarket wings? Any MR owners here added wings to their cars?
Old Oct 6, 2012, 11:34 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I would prefer all evo's mr and gsr to have wings as well. a stock oem gsr wings preferably. aftermarket is like you said juvenile.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

Old Oct 7, 2012, 12:45 AM

If you like the gsr wing, I think you can pay extra for a dealer to get one for you and install it. I believe some vendors make carbon fiber versions of the stock gsr wing as well.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by SaulHudson
Nice!Exactly what I am looking for.
It would be nice if dealer offers to install it as an option. I definitely will look into that.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not suggesting anything new but you can try and find someone with a high wing to trade with your no wing trunk. Always somebody out there that wants what your don't want and vice versa
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What beetle said. I suggest going onto the marketplace and looking for someone selling it. There are tons of people who get GSR's and want to exchange out for the lip.

Will be much cheaper than the dealer putting it on. Plus no drilling required from your end or dealers end. Just change the trunk lid.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 01:44 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
but it will be a problem for resale since you will not have matching VIN stickers.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by sblvro
but it will be a problem for resale since you will not have matching VIN stickers.
That is surely a problem!

Looks like I'll need to rethink this MR vs GSR issue. I prefer SST over manual. I also like the BBS wheels better than GSR's Enkei, but I don't like all the chrome accents and the absence of a wing.

Decisions, decisions!
Old Oct 7, 2012, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TopKnife
That is surely a problem!

Looks like I'll need to rethink this MR vs GSR issue. I prefer SST over manual. I also like the BBS wheels better than GSR's Enkei, but I don't like all the chrome accents and the absence of a wing.

Decisions, decisions!
I would just remove VIN sticker from your trunk and trade it for one with a big wing. Frankly, I like the way the car looks with spoiler and big wing, so much so, I want to get another trunk with the big wing installed. Been looking for a used WW trunk/big wing locally, on Craigslist, on Ebay, and on Evolutionm, but so far no luck.

I also like the fact GSR comes with black vents and black beltline trim. I changed my hood and fender vents recently, but WW Evo actually looks decent with chrome grille and beltline, so I left those on. I like the sportier look of GSR, but the SST tranny was a must for me, so I made these cosmetic changes so I would not have to compromise.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm almost positive the newer Evo's don't even come with stickers with VIN numbers on all panels anymore. I'll have to check my trunk tomorrow and let you know.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't pass up the MR if you want the SST just because it doesn't have the big Wing. I like the idea of buying one from the dealer and having them install it or just trade trunks with someone. You might also search the market place for someone selling one they took off.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

I bought my MR Touring and wanted the big spoiler. It costs something crazy like $1700 but I made it a condition of sale. But just deal abd request a discount and they can install abd paint it for a discount.

Other cheaper option is to just buy a replica off eBay and paint it.

Originally Posted by TopKnife
I'm about to get a 2013 MR but I really like the GSR style wing. Call it juvenile or whatever, to me it just doesn't look like an Evo without the big wing.

Any recommendation on good, quality aftermarket wings? Any MR owners here added wings to their cars?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 09:14 PM
ryn

IMHO wingless is where its at g'luck!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:11 AM

I'm doing the same thing. I *had* a 2010 Evolution MR - which came with the high-mount wing.

Since I am replacing my stolen 2010 with a 2013, I'm having the dealer replace the wimpy deck lid with a winged deck lid. They're going to assure it's color matched (not sure how much of that is needed swapping a new for a new) and they want to charge me $1500. Meh. It's only money.

Quick Reply: MR + big wing