Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Newb Owner - Flooded engine question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb Owner - Flooded engine question

can you flood the engine by trying to start the engine multiple times? i'm at a loss here. my car wouldn't start this morning after maybe trying 5 times. i didn't give it any gas while trying to start it. battery's fine...thinking it's the relay. i got it towed under warranty to the dealer. there is no outstanding recall, but i never got the relay replaced. the tow guy was actually able to start it again when he was taking it off the flatbed.

just got a call saying they were able to reproduce the problem by letting it sit a while. they had trouble starting again, but was able to after multiple tries. now the engine's flooded and the spark plug is covered with it as well. i gotta pay for them to clean it up and change the oil (lol) before they can continue with the diagnostic. doesn't the gasoline just evaporate? are they trying to screw me here? i thought you can't flood with fuel injection type cars...

maybe i have no idea what i'm talking about.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you say "They" do you mean the dealer? So what happened? You couldn't start the car, took it to the dealer (by tow truck), they couldn't either (for a while anyway), and flooded it. But then, did get it started again? Then what happened? Who pulled the spark plug to check it? So they want to charge you to clean it up? What does that mean? Change the oil? Why possibly? Change your own oil later.

Typically a flooded engine will fix itself over time as the fuel evaporates. The question is, why did it flood (if it did) in the first place? Do they still have the car? I guess I'm a little confused.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:19 AM

Yes I also want to know what happened? keep us posted.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

the dealer (they).

they tried unsuccessfully to start the car, and eventually got it started and a big cloud of smoke came out of the exhaust (they told me that, i did not witness this).

yes, they claim it's flooded, have to change oil and spark plugs. the tech pulled the plugs and determined the engine's flooded.

they didn't outright accuse me of doing the flooding, so i fought them on why i have to pay when i didn't do it. they are now replacing the spark plugs for free, and charging me the cost of oil to replace the old oil. i was due for an oil change anyway, so whatever.

they still have the car so i've been without a car for 2 days now. i'm gonna call them to check up on wtf is going on.

Originally Posted by Johnr352
When you say "They" do you mean the dealer? So what happened? You couldn't start the car, took it to the dealer (by tow truck), they couldn't either (for a while anyway), and flooded it. But then, did get it started again? Then what happened? Who pulled the spark plug to check it? So they want to charge you to clean it up? What does that mean? Change the oil? Why possibly? Change your own oil later.

Typically a flooded engine will fix itself over time as the fuel evaporates. The question is, why did it flood (if it did) in the first place? Do they still have the car? I guess I'm a little confused.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vassili
the dealer (they).

they tried unsuccessfully to start the car, and eventually got it started and a big cloud of smoke came out of the exhaust (they told me that, i did not witness this).

yes, they claim it's flooded, have to change oil and spark plugs. the tech pulled the plugs and determined the engine's flooded.

they didn't outright accuse me of doing the flooding, so i fought them on why i have to pay when i didn't do it. they are now replacing the spark plugs for free, and charging me the cost of oil to replace the old oil. i was due for an oil change anyway, so whatever.

they still have the car so i've been without a car for 2 days now. i'm gonna call them to check up on wtf is going on.
so let me get this straight.

You didn't run your car thru a mile deep of water.
But yet on a regular morning you couldn't start your car.
You had it tow'd to the stealership.
Where they finally were able to start the car. Then a poof of white smoke came out. Shut it down
and determined Fluid on your oil. That caused the issues

does that sum it up?

I am confused how fluids are on your engine to start of with.

And what kind of fluid is it.
If its coolant then your engine is shot. and it could be a faulty engine.
If its water.. how did it get in there.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

This all sounds way too fishy...

did they say what color the smoke was... that'll tell you which you have in the engine upon starting it. Its blue grey when its oil, its grey when you have a leaking head gasket, and its black when the fuel mix is rich...

any of these problems aren't life or death to an engine; especailly one that was fine till the day of the incident, or an engine that has just started to flood wouldn't require new spark plugs.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

I think this is wacky, but whatever... If all you pay is the cost of an oil change and they declare the car "fixed" you should be all set. If the car has any further similar issues you can simply bring it back.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vassili
the dealer (they).

when random ghostly things like this start happening to your car and causing smoke to come out, it's time for a trade up
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FastAttack
so let me get this straight.

You didn't run your car thru a mile deep of water.
But yet on a regular morning you couldn't start your car.
You had it tow'd to the stealership.
Where they finally were able to start the car. Then a poof of white smoke came out. Shut it down
and determined Fluid on your oil. That caused the issues

does that sum it up?

I am confused how fluids are on your engine to start of with.

And what kind of fluid is it.
If its coolant then your engine is shot. and it could be a faulty engine.
If its water.. how did it get in there.
I dont think he is talking about water. I think hes talking about flooding the engine with gas after trying to start up the car a few times. This happens a lot with rotary engines.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

keep us posted on this.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Interesting... future reference, when flooded next time just flat foot the gas pedal while you start it. It kills the injectors, after it fires up just lift throttle of course.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 01CBR929
Interesting... future reference, when flooded next time just flat foot the gas pedal while you start it. It kills the injectors, after it fires up just lift throttle of course.
Kills the injectors?
As in they are turned off?
that doesn't make sense for flat footing it.
or did I miss something.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

I agree if they say they will take care of the plugs and you only pay for the oil then that's a good deal. Just chalk it up to freak experience and if it happens again call the dealer right away.