Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

F150 to Evo X?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd start at $25k
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

IMO the X only feels sluggish because the factory tune makes it fall on it's face at 5k revs and it feels like it has no top end. After a tune the top end opens up and it goes.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

I had a C6 before I got my most recent X. I got rid of a Vette shortly after getting the evo for I didn't need two toys. Nice to have at least one vehicle with a warranty that I can just hop in and go. I would consider parting with the Cobra personally if I were in your shoes.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:54 PM

I'm actually in the opposite position as you. Buying a house and everything I'm thinking of trading the Evo for an F150. The convienence of the truck is the only reason I'd take an F150 over the evo.

Like others said, test drive the evo then make your decision. You will know immediately as soon as you hit second gear if you will love the car or not. That is what did it for me. I was set on buying an STI till I test drove my evo (the only one I looked at). Test drove it and went to the bank the next day to get a loan, didn't even have to think twice about it.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

I went from a 2010 5.7 Tundra to evo x. I know not an f150, but still a newer full size truck. I miss the comfort and utility of my truck but since I had sold my boat and 4 wheeler, I felt I wasn't using my truck anymore for what I had purchased it for and why not have a bit of fun on my daily commutes. I had an s2000 and then an 87 notch mustang that were my garage/weekend toys when I had my truck. I sold both to make room in the garage and traded in my truck for the evo. Do not regret my decision, however I do plan to find another older pickup for those occasional home owner jobs.

Last edited by way2low01; Oct 20, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:25 PM

panamah_r3d, How about I trade you my truck for your Evo.....j/k! I was actaully going to go test drive the car today, but it was raining pretty good all day, so definitely not ideal for looking at a car! I'm sure I will love the car after testing driving one!

Way2low01, I'd probably do the same thing as you, and buy an older pickup for the occasional times where I would need one! Glad to hear that other people with trucks have made the switch and are enjoying the Evo! Have any pictures of your 87 Notch?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Here ya go. One of my truck also

Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MustangJim21
There are two reasons I want to get the Evo. 1) I wanted one in the first place, but my wife talked me into the truck! 2) between payment, gas, insurance the truck cost as much as a mortars every month to drive. Now I know Evos are not cheap either, especially since gas and insurance would probably be a wash between the two, however, I'm thinking I could save $5-8k by getting an Evo. Guess we'll see what happens.
IMO if any part of you is thinking of getting an Evo to save any money in any way shape or form due to gas mileage or insurance or anything really, stop right there and turn around and forget the Evo. Evos are fun cars, I'm sure you will love it after a test drive, but they get ridiculously low mileage (the EPA stickers are only valid for granny driving which you shouldn't be doing in an Evo anyway), are expensive to insure, and will go through expensive high performance tires with alarming efficiency.

Many many people come to these forums after they buy these cars, and then end up regretting it and selling after a few tire changes and getting low teens gas mileage with all city driving.

If you want an Evo, fine, just don't go into this thinking it's going to save you any money whatsoever.

Just my two cents...
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by way2low01
Here ya go. One of my truck also

Nice truck and 5.0! Did you have a lot of work done to the Mustang?!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
IMO if any part of you is thinking of getting an Evo to save any money in any way shape or form due to gas mileage or insurance or anything really, stop right there and turn around and forget the Evo. Evos are fun cars, I'm sure you will love it after a test drive, but they get ridiculously low mileage (the EPA stickers are only valid for granny driving which you shouldn't be doing in an Evo anyway), are expensive to insure, and will go through expensive high performance tires with alarming efficiency.

Many many people come to these forums after they buy these cars, and then end up regretting it and selling after a few tire changes and getting low teens gas mileage with all city driving.

If you want an Evo, fine, just don't go into this thinking it's going to save you any money whatsoever.

Just my two cents...
Good advice! I agree that that there would not be any savings(at least nothing worth noting) in terms of gas and insurance between an Evo and my truck. Over 16,000 miles my truck have averaged around 16.5mpg and surprisingly insurance isn't that cheap either and I am 29, married, and have a clean driving record!

I was looking at savings strictly from total paid for each vehicle. Depending on what kind of deal I could get, a lightly used evo could save me a couple thousand dollars including what I have already paid in payments for the truck.

Liken you say, by the time you factor everything, there probably is not any savings to be had!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Mods on mustang were 306 with edlelbrock Heads, edelbrock Upper/lower manifolds, E cam, Msd blaster coil/distributor, Headers, x pipe no cats, 24lb injectors, cobra maf/ecu, cold air intake, 3.55 gears, aluminum drive shaft, 5 lug conversion with 4 wheel disk conversion, full length subframes, boxed control arms, heavy duty T5 trans with short shifter, clutch, etc. Fun car, but I'm more of an import guy I guess Back to my roots now lol. I'm also 29, married with a kid and the carseat fits perfectly in the evo for my 15 month old son to enjoy as well. He loves riding in my evo.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not crazy at all for trading a truck for a evo. I traded in my SRT-10 Ram in for my Evo. I do miss the truck at times but i love the evo..lol
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

I know what car you're talking about! the WW one at transit towne resale by salvatores grand hotel right? Honestly they suck at haggling on the price of stuff as they are the ONLY mitsubishi dealer around here but if you want to test drive that one and compare it to a modded one I'd be willing to let you drive mine. Its also a 2011 but has all bolt ons and a tune. Made 340 whp at STM. PM me if you want to as I also know sales people at transit towne who might be able to help you out on price.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by 05OrangeSS
I know what car you're talking about! the WW one at transit towne resale by salvatores grand hotel right? Honestly they suck at haggling on the price of stuff as they are the ONLY mitsubishi dealer around here but if you want to test drive that one and compare it to a modded one I'd be willing to let you drive mine. Its also a 2011 but has all bolt ons and a tune. Made 340 whp at STM. PM me if you want to as I also know sales people at transit towne who might be able to help you out on price.
I sent you a PM. That is exactly the car I'm talking about. If they wint deal on price at all, I have no problems going out of state to get a good deal!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:51 PM

I just picked up a new 2011 GSR for 31k before trade so what they are asking seems kinda high. 25k seems like a good starting point considering thats probably what they gave him for it. Your ins shouldnt be to bad I pay $100 a month on mine clean driving record at age 30 gas mileage isn't to terrible I went from a VW TDI and a 2011 Harley Streetglide to the EVO

Last edited by hamiltonj2w1; Oct 21, 2012 at 11:57 PM.

Quick Reply: F150 to Evo X?