Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

F150 to Evo X?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 to Evo X?

Hi all! Lately, I have considering trading in my 2011 f150 fx4 super crew with ecoboost for an Evo X. A local dealer has a 2011 WW GSR with 8k miles for sale. They are asking $30.5k. What Would you think this car could be had for? I'm planning to go check out the car tomorrow. Any suggestions on what to look for?

Am I crazy for wanting the Evo over the truck? I also have an 04 Cobra which makes 490rwhp and 530 rwtq which is my nice weather driver. Or the other thought I had was selling the cobra, trading in the truck and getting a new Evo X. Has anyone ever gone from a cobra to the Evo, and if so what are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your input.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

my basic advice is test drive the evo first. it may be a great car, but it's not for everyone... some complain about it being sluggish from the factory and the blind spots, etc..
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Blind spots? you must have not driven a Z or an older Mustang! You might as well call the Evo an IMAX.

But I agree you need to drive it first. An Evo is a totally different vehicle than your F150. It looks to me like you like your performance cars (hence the terminator) but want the utility of a truck.

The Evo does have the performance down as well as the inclement weather ability but the level of utility of a truck that it does not have. It actually rates far worse then most cars for that with a tiny trunk with no passthrough. Also they can be uncomfortable to some due to stiff suspension and racing buckets.

By all means try it and if you like it get it but keep in mind what you'll be using it for. Hate to say this but depending on what you need you might want to give a 5 door STi a look too.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah...never heard of people complain about blind spots and I dont understand why they would....the only cars ive been in with better visibility out back are hatchbacks..anyways...drive the car and take it to some windy roads if you can it will pay off...you wouldnt have to mod it that much to get the same performance as the Cobra but it will still feel totally different....ive had fun with a 600hp cobra and I can stay I enjoy driving the evo much more day to day....with no tune yet..so I can only imagine how much better it gets
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

My friend has a 2012 Ecoboost FX4 (crew cab). We're actually going to the track this weekend. I'm crazy impressed with the EcoBoost. He ran a 14.3 just by brake boosting and getting an awesome launch with the truck totally stock, and tomorrow I get to see him run with an aFe intake, full exhaust and a tune.

The Evo is a little faster, but if you have the need for a pickup the Ecoboost is *really* nice. I think the seating in the F150 is more comfortable, but the Evo definitely is sporty and handles the corners better.

Either way, it really depends on your needs. The trunk of the X is a joke, so if you ever use your truck for towing, or cargo....
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:39 AM

When you gotta run to Home Depot for supplies, it sucks not having a truck.
Personally, I'd get the Evo and get a cheap older truck if you are just using it for utility purposes it doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles or even good gas mileage. Who cares if it get's 10mpg if you only use it once-in-a-while.
If you're having to drive the truck a lot then you probably want to keep yours.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
That is one hughe step for man kind.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jdmEviL8
... some complain about it being sluggish from the factory ..
see i keep hearing this but sluggish as compared to what? I doubt it would seem sluggish compared to Scion Tc, RSX, GS-T, WRX etc....
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

I tend to think "sluggish" is a bad word for turbo lag. With proper mods that is no longer an issue. Drove my Nismo Z this morning and yeah compared to a 3.5L high rev V6 the Evo feels sluggish..... until boost hits and I'm bone stock.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I directly came from a Cobra to an Evo.... While working for Ford even.

Converted me 100% and after selling my IX last year I just bought a brand new 2012 X GSR last saturday.

If you seriously value a real sports car over just a straight line machine, the Evo will ruin you. I had no love for the Cobra after one test drive of the IX and I traded it for the Evo right there on the spot. Seriously it's that good.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:33 AM

I just sold my '04 F-150 XLT...bought a 2010 EVO SE last saturday

Trucks are over-rated...I loved mine, but I used the bed once every few months...Evo is AWD as you know. as long as you get a decent set of snow or all seasons, it will take the place of the truck in foul weather. Go for the EVO. They are awesome.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EAGLE 5
I tend to think "sluggish" is a bad word for turbo lag. With proper mods that is no longer an issue. Drove my Nismo Z this morning and yeah compared to a 3.5L high rev V6 the Evo feels sluggish..... until boost hits and I'm bone stock.
See thats a actual comparison, but i have just seen statements were ppl have just flat out said sluggish, but compared to nothing.. So im sure if i went to go pick 1 up, i doubt i could say that it feels sluggish considering im coming from a 160 crank HP scion tc, and rule of thumb for turbos is always lag, expecially factory tuned..
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MistuEvoXMR
See thats a actual comparison, but i have just seen statements were ppl have just flat out said sluggish, but compared to nothing.. So im sure if i went to go pick 1 up, i doubt i could say that it feels sluggish considering im coming from a 160 crank HP scion tc, and rule of thumb for turbos is always lag, expecially factory tuned..
Exactly. I'm lucky to have both cars at my disposal so I can give you a 1:1 opinion on them.

I like to be objective with my ratings or else they aren't very useful to others. If I was to be subjective I can tell you the Z is a quick car and the Evo is a fast. Taken at face value that might sway someone a different way.

I hope the OP gets an Evo he'll definitely be happy.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talk about apples to oranges. Going from an Ecoboost 150 to an Evo X is a paradigm shift. Given the fact that the OP has a built Cobra and the truck, I might be inclined just to keep them. You have performance and utility. A stock Evo X will be slower than the Cobra. I assume that the Evo will be a daily driver as it was mentioned that the Cobra is a toy. Since the OP lives in NY, snow is an issue and both the F150 and Evo will handle it with aplomb. If the truck is traded in on the Evo, expect to take a bath on the deal. The one good thing about Evo's is that they do not depreciate like a lot of other vehicles. Tough decision to make. Keep us posted.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:18 PM

Thanks for all of your responses guys (and girls if there was any). You are all correct, the truck is nice for being more versatile, but in the time I have had it, I rarely use it as a truck!

SamsonEvoX, you are right, certainly no apples to oranges comparison, and you hit the nail on the head...trade in value on the truck is the key. If I could get at least what I owe on it or really close, then no deal.

There are two reasons I want to get the Evo. 1) I wanted one in the first place, but my wife talked me into the truck! 2) between payment, gas, insurance the truck cost as much as a mortars every month to drive. Now I know Evos are not cheap either, especially since gas and insurance would probably be a wash between the two, however, I'm thinking I could save $5-8k by getting an Evo. Guess we'll see what happens.

Also, what do you think i could buy that evo for? Would the dealer laugh if I offered them $27k to start? After all, the 2013s are out now.

Last edited by MustangJim21; Oct 19, 2012 at 09:21 PM.

Quick Reply: F150 to Evo X?