Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Odyssey PC925. Anyone use it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odyssey PC925. Anyone use it?

Who uses a PC925 and how did you mount it?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a VERY powerful battery. I suggest, unless you have a big draw from your car stereo or something (have you installed a waterbed in the back seat? Those heaters require a lot of current) you can use a smaller and lighter battery.

Enersys/ Odyssey sponsors and provides batteries for the race car and trailer and so I am a big fan of their technology and support. We use the PC680 in the car and it has worked flawlessly. For the trailer we use the PC1750, which is an absolute monster. It runs the winch, lights, chargers, etc. and never seems to run down, ever.

So, I recommend a smaller battery unless you have a crazy big need. I also recommend one of their chargers as they are nicely matched and will take care of the unique needs of an AGM/ Gel battery if you ever need to store or maintain the battery.

As for mounting. Put it in the trunk. There are some nice mounting spots under the carpet or have a couple of tabs welded, it's an easy fix. West Marine sells a bunch of little battery boxes that you can put the battery in to make it all look nice and keep things tidy.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Wrong forum, but that battery is way overkill for your needs. If you want a battery for the trunk of your car, I would recommend using a group size 51 battery. Optima has this listed as a 8073-167. The only battery that I could get to fit under the hood was an X2-20L motorcycle battery (I work for Batteries Plus some of the time). I hate Odyssey batteries with a fiery passion.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

A fiery passion? I'm mildly interested in why you hate Odyssey batteries so much. Optima makes a fine battery too though a larger number of drivers in the NE road racing community use the PC680.

I suppose I picked (along with many in the racing community) the PC680 because, compared to the 8073-167 Optima, the Odyssey PC680 has more power, is lighter, smaller and, umm cheaper. We've never had problems with cold starting (though I admit we don't do this much), premature failure, or charging problems. I've never worked for a battery store so it's entirely possible that there are other criteria for choosing one over another for which I am unaware.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Johnr352
A fiery passion? I'm mildly interested in why you hate Odyssey batteries so much. Optima makes a fine battery too though a larger number of drivers in the NE road racing community use the PC680.
Some of my problems with Odyssey cannot be disclosed. I can tell you (anecdotally) that more PC680 batteries come back than anything else. I would not recommend powering a car with that battery, either. It really isn't that powerful. The X2-20L AGM is half the price and much more reliable. The aforementioned Optima is a smaller size than most people are used to seeing. I would use that.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I'm not really a fan of undisclosed declarations of hate of vendors/ manufacturer's products on public forums and certainly haven't heard the failure rate of Odyssey batteries being high or any higher than any others. Frankly, I'm not aware of any failures of Odyssey or any others (including Optima) except by those who try to charge an AGM battery with the wrong kind of charger.

So, not to discredit your anecdotal failure rate data or personal experience that cannot be disclosed, I do have hands on experience with the PC680 in our race cars and, for our application(s), and as directly observed in a number of other cars (street and race) the Odyssey PC680 has been a strong performer.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.jmfabrications.com/store/...tery-Tray.html
I run one in my car. Haven't had it for very long but all good so far
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jeffroevoix
http://www.jmfabrications.com/store/...tery-Tray.html
I run one in my car. Haven't had it for very long but all good so far
Will it mount in the X?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SaulHudson
Will it mount in the X?
Didn't realize I was in the X section

No clue, sorry
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:32 PM
Former Sponsor

So, not to discredit your anecdotal failure rate data or personal experience that cannot be disclosed, I do have hands on experience with the PC680 in our race cars and, for our application(s), and as directly observed in a number of other cars (street and race) the Odyssey PC680 has been a strong performer.
The PC680 only has 230 CCA. The X2-20L has 310 CCA (and that is even low, it is meant for a 1200CC bike). For a car that you use everyday, I would not recommend the PC680. For comparison, the stock battery has round about 500 CCA, right out of the box. People can make their own decisions, but the X2-20L is a much more appropriate battery. Plus, the X2-20L is a few pounds lighter and is $124.99 (versus $151.99 for the PC680). It may work on a track car, but for most people it is not the correct battery.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

I got talked into the pc680 being "this awesome" battery..till it lasted 3 months lol..it now collects dust in my basement. Running the good ol panasonic with zero issues.

If anyone wants my "fancy" pc680 alum battery tray let me know.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Widoww
I got talked into the pc680 being "this awesome" battery..till it lasted 3 months lol..it now collects dust in my basement. Running the good ol panasonic with zero issues.

If anyone wants my "fancy" pc680 alum battery tray let me know.
I see this happen all the time. For the Evolution X, a PC680 flat out will not work. You MIGHT be able to get away with an X2-30HL, but the weight savings would be minor. I am a big proponent of leaving the stocker alone.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
The PC680 only has 230 CCA.

well, these are the specs from their website.

PC 680 Specs:
  • 680 cranking amps for 5 seconds
  • 595 cranking amps for 10 seconds
  • 525 cranking amps for 20 seconds
  • 17 amp hours
  • Short circuit current over 1800A
  • 25 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
  • Female brass terminal w/M6 SS bolt
  • Length 7 1/16"
  • Width 3"
  • Height 6 9/16"
  • Weighs less than 15 lbs
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
I see this happen all the time. For the Evolution X, a PC680 flat out will not work. You MIGHT be able to get away with an X2-30HL, but the weight savings would be minor. I am a big proponent of leaving the stocker alone.
This is getting somewhat tiresome and is truly a nutty statement. We've been using the PC680 for years and that's in a race car, meaning that it is started irregularly and has little time to recharge. I am aware of at least 3 other Evo Xs using the PC680, a Subaru STi, a WRX, and a number of Corvettes using the PC680 as well. Most of these are race cars but I argue that's harder, not easier on a battery except for the fact that we don't have stereos or AC.

There are countless posts about the stock battery failing but that's not the reason we changed. The weight savings and position flexibility was the critical factor as we corner balance the car and wanted to position the battery for suspension setup purposes.

I can't account for the post regarding the battery failing though I can say that they've always been quick to answer the phone and have been very responsive to my questions. Can you buy a more powerful battery that weighs more and is larger, sure, but if you want an inexpensive battery that weighs little and is small and easy to locate the PC680 is hard to beat. Enough
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:39 PM
Former Sponsor

This is getting somewhat tiresome and is truly a nutty statement.
The battery that I am recommending is 30% more powerful, is lighter, and is less expensive with the same warranty.

Last edited by NFSLancerRA; Nov 5, 2012 at 05:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Odyssey PC925. Anyone use it?