Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

car blows white greyish smoke?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car blows white greyish smoke?

So I was messin around with my friend and some guy behind me said that when I stepped on it wot and when I shifted im assuming that white greyish smoke came out my exhaust, not sure if it was a lot or not he didn't say. Is this bad? My car is completely stock.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

A stock X runs really rich generally. However, rich fuel trims give black smoke.

White smoke tends to be water (headgasket, or injections in heavy mixtures)
Blue-Grey smoke tends to indicate oil.

Since you're stock and you're not also saying how you feel a lack of power, it's probably just fuel from the really rich stock tune, and I bet it just looked white and grey because of the time of day or colour of your X or whatever lights might of hit it from their perspective.

Couldn't hurt to just take you're X in for a check up though.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheBlade
A stock X runs really rich generally. However, rich fuel trims give black smoke.

White smoke tends to be water (headgasket, or injections in heavy mixtures)
Blue-Grey smoke tends to indicate oil.

Since you're stock and you're not also saying how you feel a lack of power, it's probably just fuel from the really rich stock tune, and I bet it just looked white and grey because of the time of day or colour of your X or whatever lights might of hit it from their perspective.

Couldn't hurt to just take you're X in for a check up though.
yeah i have no loss of power i think.. it runs strong but i will be soon once i get some parts installed. thank you
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Smoke is normal. Depending on time of day, what he said was grayish was prolly just the black smoke that everyone had. Since you have a stock 2008, it will be even worse because of how rich the '08s tune was.

Nothing to worry about IMO.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ugakirk
Smoke is normal. Depending on time of day, what he said was grayish was prolly just the black smoke that everyone had. Since you have a stock 2008, it will be even worse because of how rich the '08s tune was.

Nothing to worry about IMO.
yeah it was around 4pm here in texas but yeah just wanted to make sure first thanks guys
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had my car for 5 years now. The rich smoke from the exhaust has always been a grayish mist. I always have someone at the track come to me in the paddock to give a half assed diagnosis. I've been told everything from having a bad turbo to having a bad motor.

It just runs rich. It'll smoke with an open exhaust and especially when running leaded fuel.

It's normal.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dek0026
I've had my car for 5 years now. The rich smoke from the exhaust has always been a grayish mist. I always have someone at the track come to me in the paddock to give a half assed diagnosis. I've been told everything from having a bad turbo to having a bad motor.

It just runs rich. It'll smoke with an open exhaust and especially when running leaded fuel.

It's normal.
thank you sir
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds just like if its rich, its all good.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

It could be rich or it can be something else.

Honestly I would have someone check it just in case. I know it costs money but its better to be safe than sorry right?

A leakdown/compression check and if the mechanic is **** they can boroscope the cylinders and check to see everything is fine.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FastAttack
It could be rich or it can be something else.

Honestly I would have someone check it just in case. I know it costs money but its better to be safe than sorry right?

A leakdown/compression check and if the mechanic is **** they can boroscope the cylinders and check to see everything is fine.
Well I'm getting a tune after I get some parts on so if after that if it keeps happening ill get it further checked out. What do tunes usually go for? I was told $450
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, about 450. And the other posts are correct, presuming the car runs fine,the smoke at WOT is normal.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:31 AM
Account Disabled

i'm still running rich stock tune and see the same thing...

question to those who are tuned: once the tune is leaned out, does the smoke disappear or just become very minimal?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dek0026

It's normal.
You're running leaded fuel on a stock Evo X? If so, your fuel trims might be off from the failing O2 sensor number 1

If you drove a subaru, and it was stock, I would think you have a bad turbo-seal too, since it used to happen with the WRXs and 04/05 STi's
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pgpunkguy
i'm still running rich stock tune and see the same thing...

question to those who are tuned: once the tune is leaned out, does the smoke disappear or just become very minimal?
LOL! Yes!

My current tune has my AFRs between 11.5 and 11.7, factory had me at 10.2 or richer. My "Rice Burn" has totally gone away. Much easier for weekly cleaning
Old Nov 9, 2012, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GsrJake
Well I'm getting a tune after I get some parts on so if after that if it keeps happening ill get it further checked out. What do tunes usually go for? I was told $450
I really wouldn't worry about it unless you're losing coolant or motor oil.

Plus it'll still smoke under throttle after it's tuned unless your tuner has you all lean and mean.

Originally Posted by TheBlade
You're running leaded fuel on a stock Evo X? If so, your fuel trims might be off from the failing O2 sensor number 1

If you drove a subaru, and it was stock, I would think you have a bad turbo-seal too, since it used to happen with the WRXs and 04/05 STi's
Not being condescending but I'm fairly aware of what I'm doing with my use of racing fuels. My fuel trims are off and it runs pretty rich when doing so. I prefer lower 11s with track use. 1-2 gallons to an entire tank is enough to keep things happy, especially on hot days.