Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Noo! Hit a curb with my baby;(

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noo! Hit a curb with my baby;(

Hate to say this happend but im just very currious to know how an awd plays a part in a accident so first snow fall i was unable to make the stop in time i was turning right when my vehical carryed over a single lain and my left front and rear driver side rims made contact with curb at about (15-10 km )at about the same time no visual bent rims not a decnt contact mark ( no worse then a bad curb rash)and now my left side of my vehical seams unbalanced no really steering aligmint problem just very noticacble egg shape feeling(driver side when driving over 60km ) please help!! What did i do !?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:09 AM

try getting y our wheels balanced and re-alignment for the car. visual inspection underneath will be good as well.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by braedenb2
Hate to say this happend but im just very currious to know how an awd plays a part in a accident so first snow fall i was unable to make the stop in time i was turning right when my vehical carryed over a single lain and my left front and rear driver side rims made contact with curb at about (15-10 km )at about the same time no visual bent rims not a decnt contact mark ( no worse then a bad curb rash)and now my left side of my vehical seams unbalanced no really steering aligmint problem just very noticacble egg shape feeling(driver side when driving over 60km ) please help!! What did i do !?
Maybe you were going faster than you thought?
Wrong tire choice for snow?
Ice?
Acceleration into the turn on slippery surface?

IMO, All single car accidents are driver error.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

I would suggest to have the car inspected
Both for drivetrain damage and also wheel damage.
Not everything you can see is visual. You might have a cracked rim inside.. who knows.

If you have insurance, this would be the time to use it, as it will be a hefty expense getting a full inspection done and probable repairs.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Go to a good shop and have the undernathe of the car looked at. Check your wheels and re-alignment and make sure the car good. Good luck
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:46 AM

Yeah definite wheel rebalance and alignment. Id have the mechs inspect all of the suspension components while they are under there on the driver's side.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Nooo!! That sucks. I would definitely get the wheel checked out on a spin balancer.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the first thing I did after buying the Evo was find a good alignment shop and purchased a life time alignment.. I go back every 30k miles (or hit the curb/speedbump/dip) to have mine aligned and balanced..

it'll save you alot of tire and $$$.. an alignment for your situation will cost 80-120$.. lifetime is only about 200$
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

this might be a silly question... but are you driving in the snow with the OEM summer tires?
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

One of the roads near my work had what looks like the city bus sink into the asphalt from the heat and it formed a 5-6" ridge near the middle of a lane. As I was turning onto the street the ridge wiped out a rim and tire. I totally understand your frustration.

Damage:

The Fix:
Old Dec 7, 2012, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has happened to me, My wheel was tucked further back towards the rear fender liner.
Tried an alignment, lower control arm, and nothing... Replaced the subframe and now it's perfect.
Subframe was bent.

Get it checked out asap!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

To fix it:
wheels balanced and re-alignment(must do to prevent further mechanical failure)

To prevent this happens again:
Drive safe
Have a good car doesn't mean you should drive fast
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would get this checked out i did this once and broke and axel. You dont want to no the price for that lol. I would have a shop check everything out make sure you are good to go and peace of mind. You dont want to be drive on the highway and find out there was something wrong other then what you say driving at thoes speeds.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

If the wheel does balance (or is already balanced) then you need to check the wheel bearing and knuckle, as these are pretty easily damaged in a wheel hit. Good news, they are pretty easy and inexpensive to replace too, but it needs to be checked out. Report back.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Ouch!

Quick Reply: Noo! Hit a curb with my baby;(