Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2011 used mr or new GSR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 used mr or new GSR

I have read a lot and im sure this has been brought up before but i guess i need to just be told directly for me to know for sure. The used mr has almost 11k miles on it for 35k. But that is as much as a brand new base GSR. I have driven both and they feel the same except for the transmission.

My question is does the thought of an unmolested brand new car with a 5 speed trump the worry of the sst. Or does the sst with low miles trump the gsr.

Both cars are the base model. I would like the sss and the aero package though. That is what i like about the GSR. But i have modest dd power goals in mind and i think the Mr would be better as a dd.

Constructive input is cool. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:15 PM

i just purchased a 2013 gsr...the trannys are better for mods. and evo s get driven pretty hard. resale will be higher on a 2013 as compared to a 2011... definately get the gsr mine was 34k brand new...
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

You just said you would like the sss and aero package and the GSR has it. THen get that so you arent regretting it in the future. I looked for a bone stock low miles 11k evo 8 and clean carfax. I found one but it had been in previous wrecks. It made me a little nervous and hesitent and then I found my car now that was everything I wanted and more. Get what you want and dont settle.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

If you go just by the numbers (not performance, but finance) you'll likely see better price with the new car, just because of lower interest rates and such, but ultimately MR or GSR is all preference.

You will have to search your own soul for what makes you happy. There are pros and cons to both. You will find that the SST (and other electro-hydraulic twin-clutch) transmissions are well respected and performance wise are not comparable as an "automatic", however if you are the type of driver that survives to feel the emotion of shifting through gears, you'll likely not find happiness with the SST. SST is friendly for commuting and traffic and makes novice driver even better at the track. You'll pay more for the SST in every way you can think of though.

But it's all going to be your own preference.

If it means anything, I talk up the SST, yet I drive a GSR because to me I need to use my left foot to feel happiness, even if it makes me a little slower.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tdt1805
You just said you would like the sss and aero package and the GSR has it. THen get that so you arent regretting it in the future.... Get what you want and dont settle.
As I posted I saw this post up, he's giving some good wisdom.

Ultimate happiness with the car comes in the packages if they are important to you. Remember things that can not be added aftermarket relatively easily, mean it should make or break your decision.

I wanted Sun and Leather and SSS. Sun and Leather simply couldn't be added post delivery because the entire roof is different, and I didn't want just leather seatcovers. SSS gave FASTkey, and adding the FASTkey after the car is delivered is ridiculously expensive. So if it's something you like, get it to start with. HID's and the RF sound is really easy to live without IMO. Aero you can add later (it's just a little more expensive), but it does look fantastic if you do opt for it.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:19 PM

Thanks everyone. Its a tough choice. I may have made it seem like the aero package was already on the gsr but its not. Its not on either one but i dont see why asking to have it added on would be a huge deal. Would be ideal to have it worked into the payments.

While driving the MR i did feel a little weird with the shifting but liked the feel of it. Felt fancy. Ive always had a conventional manual. But I'm looking for this car to be one that i keep for a while. So with that being said would the sst be something that my 5 year older self would like more. Probably would be considering i like it now and the idea of it seems ideal for a daily driver.

But then with in that 5 years how expensive is that tranny going to be. At the worst the 5 speed can be taken apart and fixed or up graded for way cheaper. It sucks that i have to think about this purchase in a way that makes me wonder when and how much money i will be paying when the car does break. Not a fun thought. But i do want this car. The best bang for my buck i can find and very practical for me.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eh69758
Thanks everyone. Its a tough choice. I may have made it seem like the aero package was already on the gsr but its not. Its not on either one but i dont see why asking to have it added on would be a huge deal. Would be ideal to have it worked into the payments.

While driving the MR i did feel a little weird with the shifting but liked the feel of it. Felt fancy. Ive always had a conventional manual. But I'm looking for this car to be one that i keep for a while. So with that being said would the sst be something that my 5 year older self would like more. Probably would be considering i like it now and the idea of it seems ideal for a daily driver.

But then with in that 5 years how expensive is that tranny going to be. At the worst the 5 speed can be taken apart and fixed or up graded for way cheaper. It sucks that i have to think about this purchase in a way that makes me wonder when and how much money i will be paying when the car does break. Not a fun thought. But i do want this car. The best bang for my buck i can find and very practical for me.
If the tranny goes out and it is no longer under warranty I believe they say it will cost you about $10,000.

I would go with then new GSR. Just my opinion though. It's your money. Go with your gut
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheBlade
SST is friendly for commuting and traffic and makes novice driver even better at the track.
I would only disagree with this point as I think it makes drivers of any skill level faster at the track.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

you want an automatic car?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

i love my MR SST is fun once you get used to it, if your looking for a big build in the future then your better off going with the GSR
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:21 AM

Not really going for a big build. I got a stage 2 pro tune power goals in mind. My last car was a track prepped sti that turned into a hunk of crap. Not fun at all. After it burned down I was left with nothing. So I now drive a geo prizm. And If you want to call it an automatic then yeah the Mr is pretty cool. I would hope in the future some more companies will start to develop parts for the sst.

Im still not even close to making a discussion.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:34 AM

Not really going for a big build. I got a stage 2 pro tune power goals in mind. My last car was a track prepped sti that turned into a hunk of crap. Not fun at all. After it burned down I was left with nothing. So I now drive a geo prizm. And If you want to call it an automatic then yeah the Mr is pretty cool. I would hope in the future some more companies will start to develop parts for the sst.

Im still not even close to making a discussion.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:09 PM

I'd say GSR..SST without warranty in the long run might be a headache
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Josh x
I'd say GSR..SST without warranty in the long run might be a headache
I agree..

unles someone comes out with a cheap rebuilt kit for them
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by johnnnyjeans
you want an automatic car?
automatics are slushbox torque convertor driven units.....

come on....say it with me....dual clutch....there, that wasn't so bad, was it?

Quick Reply: 2011 used mr or new GSR